Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hello im using z490 vision D and i9 10900k chip with AMD radeon 5700 xt corsair rgb vegenance ram 64gb and for some reason i get a black screen upon booting the machine. The board has a red light under Dram and toggles back and forth from cpu to dram the red light. Anyone know any idea what it could be??
Seems like a hardware problem. Please try process of elimination:
  • Is this a brand new setup?
  • Have you connected the 8-pin CPU power cable (ATX_12V_2X4) at the top left of the board?
  • Are all cables securely connected?
  • Are the GPU and other PCIe cards also securely inserted?
  • Upgrade to latest F5 BIOS and set BIOS parameters starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults).
Next:
  • If you have multiple DRAM modules, remove all but one.
    • Does it boot now?
  • If not, remove the WiFi/BT card if it exists.
    • Does it boot now?
  • Do you have other devices installed?
  • What are the makes/models of your NVMe SSDs?

Do you have .disk_label or .disk_label.contentDetails files? They may need to be updated. You can update the latter with a text editor. The former can be created with the bless -folder ... -label ... command.

Download the manual at:

Go to the "How to customise boot entries?" section.
Thanks for the tip, this is very interesting.

As you indicate, the OpenCore Manual in the 'How to customise boot entries?' mentions a 'booter' directory if it is present. I do not appear have this directory or am I supposed to create it? Where exactly should it be created and what is the format/layout of the .contentDetails and .disk_label.contentDetails files?
Both .disk_label and .disk_label.contentDetails are present in /System/Library/CoreServices. The bless command references that file. Doing some testing now...

UPDATE:
  • Unfortunately no success, but I may be missing a step.
  • What I tried:
    • Used sudo bless --folder /Volumes/Catalina/System/Library/CoreServices --label "Catalina 10.15.6" but the name in OpenCore Picker remained "Catalina".
    • Tried Reset NVRAM, but no change.
    • Then booted into Recovery to modify /Volumes/Catalina/System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label.contentDetails. This file can only be modified in Recovery.
    • The previous content was "Catalina", but changing it to "Catalina 10.15.6" did not change the OpenCore Picker even after Reset NVRAM.
UPDATE 2:

Last edited:
I finished my building my first hackintosh (and first PC build in nearly a decade) recently thanks to CaseySJ's exceptionally thorough guide. I was up and running in almost no time, and everything is working nearly flawlessly, with a few minor exceptions.

1. After a reboot, about 50% of the time, the desktop background image will be sized to a smaller resolution (maybe 1024x768?). My monitor (LG 27UD88-W) however retains its resolution of (scaled) 2560x1440. When this occurs, Do Not Disturb also turns itself on (even though it’s normally always set to off). I also get some time out errors for a couple applications that phone home to check for updates (so maybe the network driver initialization is delayed?). Like I said, these issues are intermittent, so I’m not sure where to start with troubleshooting.

2. Issues with certain USB external HDD enclosures (see list below). Using a couple different Vantec enclosures, hard drives were disconnecting about 20-40 seconds after mounting. Repeatable with multiple hard drives, formatting, different BIOS settings, etc. All drives tested were WD Red 3TB or 4TB. This was all an attempt to set up a proper backup for the hackintosh, so I needed to find a solution, which appeared to be purchasing the Orico enclosure. Seems to be stable after four days.

Enclosures
- Fail: Vantec NST-366SU3-BK
- Fail: Vantec NST-380SU3-BK
- Success: Vantec NST-D400SU3 (two-bay dock)
- Success: Orico 3588US3

3. I installed Big Sur on a spare SSD to further educate myself and to test my system for the upcoming release. Everything was going well, but after a couple restarts, everything hangs after I select Big Sur at the bootloader. I just get a black screen with the Apple logo. This is a minor issue for the moment, but if anyone has any insight....

IMG_4440.jpg
IMG_4472.jpg

I finished my building my first hackintosh (and first PC build in nearly a decade) recently thanks to CaseySJ's exceptionally thorough guide. I was up and running in almost no time, and everything is working nearly flawlessly, with a few minor exceptions.
Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum!
1. After a reboot, about 50% of the time, the desktop background image will be sized to a smaller resolution (maybe 1024x768?). My monitor (LG 27UD88-W) however retains its resolution of (scaled) 2560x1440. When this occurs, Do Not Disturb also turns itself on (even though it’s normally always set to off). I also get some time out errors for a couple applications that phone home to check for updates (so maybe the network driver initialization is delayed?). Like I said, these issues are intermittent, so I’m not sure where to start with troubleshooting.
Does this mean the screen resolution on your 4K monitor remains at 2560x1440 (scaled) but only the desktop image is sized down? When this happens do you see black or white borders around the scaled-down background image? A screenshot might help to convey the problem (CMD-Shift-5).
2. Issues with certain USB external HDD enclosures (see list below). Using a couple different Vantec enclosures, hard drives were disconnecting about 20-40 seconds after mounting. Repeatable with multiple hard drives, formatting, different BIOS settings, etc. All drives tested were WD Red 3TB or 4TB. This was all an attempt to set up a proper backup for the hackintosh, so I needed to find a solution, which appeared to be purchasing the Orico enclosure. Seems to be stable after four days.

Enclosures
- Fail: Vantec NST-366SU3-BK
- Fail: Vantec NST-380SU3-BK
- Success: Vantec NST-D400SU3 (two-bay dock)
- Success: Orico 3588US3
Will add this to Troubleshooting / FAQs as examples of drive enclosures that work and don't work.
3. I installed Big Sur on a spare SSD to further educate myself and to test my system for the upcoming release. Everything was going well, but after a couple restarts, everything hangs after I select Big Sur at the bootloader. I just get a black screen with the Apple logo. This is a minor issue for the moment, but if anyone has any insight....
This is a common issue. Please try resetting NVRAM from the OpenCore Picker by pressing spacebar and choose the option at the far right.

Does this mean the screen resolution on your 4K monitor remains at 2560x1440 (scaled) but only the desktop image is sized down? When this happens do you see black or white borders around the scaled-down background image? A screenshot might help to convey the problem (CMD-Shift-5).

Correct. I restarted a couple times and got it to reoccur. See screenshot. You can also see DND is enabled. Strange how these things are related.
Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 1.49.06 PM.png

This is a common issue. Please try resetting NVRAM from the OpenCore Picker by pressing spacebar and choose the option at the far right.

Reset NVRAM but no luck. I'll have to keep fiddling with it and digging through the forums. Thankfully not a huge priority at the moment.

Seems like a hardware problem. Please try process of elimination:
  • Is this a brand new setup?
  • Have you connected the 8-pin CPU power cable (ATX_12V_2X4) at the top left of the board?
  • Are all cables securely connected?
  • Are the GPU and other PCIe cards also securely inserted?
  • Upgrade to latest F5 BIOS and set BIOS parameters starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults).
Next:
  • If you have multiple DRAM modules, remove all but one.
    • Does it boot now?
  • If not, remove the WiFi/BT card if it exists.
    • Does it boot now?
  • Do you have other devices installed?
  • What are the makes/models of your NVMe SSDs?

I put my old set up back and it booted just fine with zero issues I think its the mother board that is the problem but what are the chances the board could be bad??

Thanks for response not brand new just was swapping out the mother board and CPU to a faster version coming from a z390 to z490 and from 9900k to 10900k.

Yes i connected the 8 Pin power cable

yes all power cables are secure

GPU and other pcie cards are inserted correct i even tried without the GPU nothing.

Also i cant see anything on the screen it just boots to a black screen.

I have 4 16gb Ram sticks Corsair Vengence RGB white pro i tried this before already as well.

I had another wifi/BT card installed but a Fenfi but i didnt think that would cause any issues.

No other devices installed

NVME ssds are Sabrent 4th generations 2tb for windows and 1tb for Mac i was going to wipe them once the machine posted.

The only parts that are different were the MOBO and CPu that is it.

Thanks again for your help

I put my old set up back and it booted just fine with zero issues I think its the mother board that is the problem but what are the chances the board could be bad??

Thanks for response not brand new just was swapping out the mother board and CPU to a faster version coming from a z390 to z490 and from 9900k to 10900k.

Yes i connected the 8 Pin power cable

yes all power cables are secure

GPU and other pcie cards are inserted correct i even tried without the GPU nothing.

Also i cant see anything on the screen it just boots to a black screen.

I have 4 16gb Ram sticks Corsair Vengence RGB white pro i tried this before already as well.

I had another wifi/BT card installed but a Fenfi but i didnt think that would cause any issues.

No other devices installed

NVME ssds are Sabrent 4th generations 2tb for windows and 1tb for Mac i was going to wipe them once the machine posted.

The only parts that are different were the MOBO and CPu that is it.

Thanks again for your help
The EFI for Z390 Designare is not compatible with Z490 Vision D. To run macOS on Z490 Vision D, please use the OpenCore 0.6.0 ZIP at the bottom of Post #1 and copy/paste the Serial Number, System UUID, and Board Serial Number into PlatformInfo.

Hi, if I'll install 3 NVMe SSDs and configure it into RAID 0 in Disk Utility, can I have any problems with installing macOS and using it?
macOS can't be installed on software RAID (not easily). It probably would be slower than non-RAID anyway for normal macOS usage. Consider raiding two of NVMe's. Or you can RAID a part of all 3 of them.

Are the NVMe's connected to CPU or PCH? If PCH then you won't get much increase from RAIDing them, but you can test that yourself. Z490 is still limited to DMI 3.0 (32 Gbps).

Both .disk_label and .disk_label.contentDetails are present in /System/Library/CoreServices. The bless command references that file. Doing some testing now...

UPDATE:
  • Unfortunately no success, but I may be missing a step.
  • What I tried:
    • Used sudo bless --folder /Volumes/Catalina/System/Library/CoreServices --label "Catalina 10.15.6" but the name in OpenCore Picker remained "Catalina".
    • Tried Reset NVRAM, but no change.
    • Then booted into Recovery to modify /Volumes/Catalina/System/Library/CoreServices/.disk_label.contentInfo. This file can only be modified in Recovery.
    • The previous content was "Catalina", but changing it to "Catalina 10.15.6" did not change the OpenCore Picker even after Reset NVRAM.
OpenCore uses .disk_label if it exists, otherwise it tries .contentDetails, and if that doesn't exist then it tries .disk_label.contentDetails (not .disk_label.contentInfo).

There's a flag (OC_ATTR_USE_DISK_LABEL_FILE) in PickerAttributes to disable .disk_label.

The file needs to be next to the EFI file that will be loaded by OpenCore. This might be on the Preboot partition:
/Volumes/Preboot/*/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
or the Recovery partition (for FileVault2? or actual Recovery).

OpenCore has a disklabel command line utility to convert or create .disk_label files so you can view the files.
The command doesn't have a method to convert an image to .disk_label though. The command can create RGB .disk_label files. I've only ever seen grayscale .disk_label files.

Code:
git clone https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg.git
cd OpenCorePkg/Utilities/disklabel
make
./disklabel # must include ./ since it conflicts with macOS disklabel command

I made a script to create multi-line disk labels (for Startup Manager of my MacPro3,1):
#8,168
#8,029

Last edited:
The EFI for Z390 Designare is not compatible with Z490 Vision D. To run macOS on Z490 Vision D, please use the OpenCore 0.6.0 ZIP at the bottom of Post #1 and copy/paste the Serial Number, System UUID, and Board Serial Number into PlatformInfo.

So i would have to wipe both ssd and it should work?? Right now i cant get anything but a black screen

** Mini-Guide: Change Disk Label Shown in OpenCore Picker **
Please do not quote this guide in its entirety. Post a link instead.

Purpose:
Changing the names of the disks that appear in OpenCore boot picker is a little bit tricky, but still quite doable. It requires booting into macOS Recovery partition. The complete procedure is presented below.
  • Boot into Recovery and then carry out the remaining steps.
  • To boot into Recovery, do the following:
    • At OpenCore Picker press spacebar to reveal extra boot options.
    • Select Recovery.
    • If there are multiple versions of macOS installed, be sure to select the correct Recovery volume.
  • Start by listing all drives in the system. Type the following in Terminal:
Bash:
diskutil list
  • Find the disk IDENTIFIER corresponding to the Preboot volume for your macOS SSD.
  • In the screenshot below we see the following:
    • Big Sur and Monterey are installed on the same physical disk, but in separate APFS Volumes. In this case, both of them share a single Preboot volume. disk2s3
    • Catalina is installed on a separate physical disk and has its own Preboot volume. disk3s2
  • Note: Each time the system restarts, disk identifiers (rightmost column in screenshot) can change.
    Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 2.07.05 PM.png

• Let's mount the Preboot volume for Catalina (replace disk3s2 with your disk IDENTIFIER):
Bash:
diskutil mount disk3s2
  • Now type the following:
Bash:
cd /Volumes/Preboot/
ls -l
  • You should see one or more directories whose names are UUIDs.
    • Example of UUID: a9b6e929-6158-4042-9fd4-cefd5e3cb57d
  • If there are multiple UUID directories, they belong to different versions of macOS. One of them will contain the disk label we want to change. So "cd" to each UUID subdirectory. It is possible to use wildcards. For the sample UUID above, we can type:
Bash:
cd a9b6*
cd System/Library/CoreServices
ls -al
  • Now we should see a file called .disk_label.contentDetails
  • Check whether that file contains the disk label that needs to be changed. If it does not then go back to previous step and "cd" to another UUID sub-directory.
Bash:
cat .disk_label.contentDetails
  • If this is the file we wish to change, edit the file in vi as follows:
Bash:
vi .disk_label.contentDetails
  • This file will contain only a single volume name. Simply change the name to whatever you like. As you can see here, I've used vi to change the name to Catalina 10.15.6:
    Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 1.20.24 PM.png
  • Save the file. In vi, press ESC to exit text-entry mode, then press : (colon key) followed by the letter x to save-and-exit. If warnings are received, try :w! followed by :q
  • Reboot.

How to Use "vi" to Replace Text

If you're not familiar with the vi editor, here are simple step-by-step instructions. The editor operates in two modes:
  • Cursor / Movement mode (default)
  • Insert (edit) mode -- after pressing lower-case "i" for insert. When the editor is in insert mode, we will see INSERT at the bottom of the screen.
  • Have a look at these screenshots...

After typing vi .disk_label.contentDetails we will get this (assuming the current disk name is "Big Sur"). Let's assume we want to change the name to "Monterey".

The editor is in cursor/movement mode because the word INSERT does not appear at the bottom. We can use arrow keys to move around.
Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 2.52.23 PM.png

Here I've pressed the RIGHT arrow key three times...
Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 2.53.20 PM.png

Now I pressed the LEFT arrow key three times to go back to the 1st position and then I pressed lower case "x" 3 times to delete the letters "Big". Lower case "x" deletes the character under the cursor.

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 2.53.36 PM.png

Now I pressed lower case "x" four more times to delete everything on the line:
Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 2.53.43 PM.png

Now that "Big Sur" has been removed, we can enter INSERT mode to begin typing the new name, Monterey. So we need to press lower-case "i" for INSERT mode. Notice the word "-- INSERT --" has appeared at the bottom of the window.
Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 2.53.47 PM.png

Because we're in insert mode, we can now begin typing. So we type "Monterey". We can press Del key at any time to delete the character on the left if we make a typo.
Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 2.53.52 PM.png

Now we must exit INSERT mode by pressing ESC. Notice that "-- INSERT --" has gone away:
Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 2.53.55 PM.png

Now we're ready to save the changes. We press : and then w! as shown below. The moment we press : the cursor moves to the bottom of the window to await commands. The command w! means over-write the existing file.
Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 2.54.05 PM.png

Now the file has been saved so we are ready to quit. We type : followed by q for quit.

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 2.54.09 PM.png

And we're done!

Last edited:
Back