Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Interesting. What is the make/model of your mouse?
I'm using an Apple Magic Mouse and an Apple Wireless Keyboard. Had a thought about sleep, wake, sleep which I haven't observed. For me the mouse causes the computer to wake after sleeping until the mouse itself goes to sleep on its own (my observation, I'm assuming the mouse goes to sleep on its own). Let's say the mouse goes to sleep in 10 minutes and Energy Saver is set to sleep in 5 minutes. Computer would go to sleep after 5 minutes and then wake because of the mouse. Computer would then go to sleep again at the 10 minute mark but so would the mouse and the computer would stay asleep. All of this is speculation on my part of course. Setting Energy Saver to 30 minutes, my display and computer both go to sleep and stay asleep and will wake with either keyboard or mouse. For others who use a different bluetooth mouse and keyboard, things may be different.

I'm using an Apple Magic Mouse and an Apple Wireless Keyboard. Had a thought about sleep, wake, sleep which I haven't observed. For me the mouse causes the computer to wake after sleeping until the mouse itself goes to sleep on its own (my observation, I'm assuming the mouse goes to sleep on its own). Let's say the mouse goes to sleep in 10 minutes and Energy Saver is set to sleep in 5 minutes. Computer would go to sleep after 5 minutes and then wake because of the mouse. Computer would then go to sleep again at the 10 minute mark but so would the mouse and the computer would stay asleep. All of this is speculation on my part of course. Setting Energy Saver to 30 minutes, my display and computer both go to sleep and stay asleep and will wake with either keyboard or mouse. For others who use a different bluetooth mouse and keyboard, things may be different.
There are a number of suggestions in the Sleep Aid that are worth a look. Two that come to mind are:
  • Turning off Proximity Wake
  • Turning off TCP Keep Alive
If you connect a different mouse (even a cheap wired mouse), does the computer sleep and wake properly?

There are a number of suggestions in the Sleep Aid that are worth a look. Two that come to mind are:
If you connect a different mouse (even a cheap wired mouse), does the computer sleep and wake properly?
Using a hardwired keyboard/mouse with "Turn off display set to 1 minute", everything works perfectly. Energy saver has only "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" checked and "Enable power nap" checked. All others are off.

Checked Proximity Wake and it is turned on.
Checked TCP Keep Alive and it is turned off.

Using Apple Wireless Mouse and Wireless Keyboard, everything works perfectly if I increase the sleep timer to 30 minutes. I do have a Dell wireless mouse, but haven't yet tested that with a short sleep timer.

Rand

Using a hardwired keyboard/mouse with "Turn off display set to 1 minute", everything works perfectly. Energy saver has only "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" checked and "Enable power nap" checked. All others are off.

Checked Proximity Wake and it is turned on.
Checked TCP Keep Alive and it is turned off.

Using Apple Wireless Mouse and Wireless Keyboard, everything works perfectly if I increase the sleep timer to 30 minutes. I do have a Dell wireless mouse, but haven't yet tested that with a short sleep timer.

Rand
Okay, this at least rules out other factors. It does seem like Apple Magic Mouse is the culprit.

This is the more perplexing issue. Maybe fixing this will fix the NVMe startup time as well. Seems like a PCI bus problem. If Gigabyte has not been helpful, I wonder if it's worth exchanging the board. Are you within your return/exchange window?

And have you tried a different AMD GPU?

Thought I'd try an experiment today and discovered that if I put the GPU into the middle PCI slot (x8) and with no other cards installed (except the Fenvi in the small PCI x1) then the GPU runs at x4 according to the BIOS. So does that point to an issue with the card? Looking at the Vision D Manual, it seems the top 2 PCIE slots are from the CPU, with a switch that goes between x16/x0 and x8/x8 depending on what's installed. So if my GPU is running at half speed, no matter which slot it's in, does that point to a faulty GPU? Or is it potentially more likely to be a CPU problem? I'm really reluctant to take the whole machine apart (again) but when I last tried to isolate this problem I took the cooler off, took CPU out, checked the pins on the mobo (all were fine), reapplied thermal paste and put the cooler back on - as far as I can tell, everything is perfect.

I'm guessing the M.2 slots have no effect on the PCIE lanes as they are sharing with the SATA connectors and not the other PCIE slots. They are installed as follows:

M2A_CPU: Windows 10
M2M_SB: Empty
M2P_SB: MacOS Catalina 10.15.6

This has really got me stumped. Granted I'm no expert so a lot of things are still confusing to me, I just can't for the life of me see why this is happening.

FYI

Dell Wireless Mouse connected
Apple Magic Wireless Mouse disconnected
Apple Wireless Keyboard connected

Sleep Timer set to 1 minute
Nothing happens
Sleep Timer set to 30 minutes
Screen saver running on monitor
Computer awake

Select sleep from Apple Menu
Both sleep

Apple Wireless Keyboard disconnected
Wired keyboard connected (otherwise Bluetooth dialog appears looking for a keyboard)

Sleep timer set to 1 minute
Both sleep

Both sleep

Apple Magic Wireless Mouse Connected
Apple Wireless Keyboard Connected

Both sleep then immediately waken

Sometimes both sleep
Sometimes both sleep then immediately waken

Sleep timer set to 30 minutes
Both sleep

I'm happy with my Apple Magic Mouse and Keyboard. I just have to increase sleep timer to 30 minutes (maybe less) and both will sleep and stay asleep. Works well for me!

Thanks

Rand

Okay, this at least rules out other factors. It does seem like Apple Magic Mouse is the culprit.
I agree. I don't know if Mac OS X sends a command to the Apple Magic Mouse to sleep and for some reason it doesn't sleep and then goes it sleep on it own later but as long as the mouse is awake the computer will not stay asleep. I know that if I set sleep to 30 minutes, everything works as expected. I've tried 15 minutes but no go. I'm going to try 20 and then 25 to see if I can shorten the time. Thanks for your input Casey!

Rand

Thought I'd try an experiment today and discovered that if I put the GPU into the middle PCI slot (x8) and with no other cards installed (except the Fenvi in the small PCI x1) then the GPU runs at x4 according to the BIOS. So does that point to an issue with the card? Looking at the Vision D Manual, it seems the top 2 PCIE slots are from the CPU, with a switch that goes between x16/x0 and x8/x8 depending on what's installed. So if my GPU is running at half speed, no matter which slot it's in, does that point to a faulty GPU? Or is it potentially more likely to be a CPU problem? I'm really reluctant to take the whole machine apart (again) but when I last tried to isolate this problem I took the cooler off, took CPU out, checked the pins on the mobo (all were fine), reapplied thermal paste and put the cooler back on - as far as I can tell, everything is perfect.

I'm guessing the M.2 slots have no effect on the PCIE lanes as they are sharing with the SATA connectors and not the other PCIE slots. They are installed as follows:

M2A_CPU: Windows 10
M2M_SB: Empty
M2P_SB: MacOS Catalina 10.15.6

This has really got me stumped. Granted I'm no expert so a lot of things are still confusing to me, I just can't for the life of me see why this is happening.
Have you tried moving Windows 10 to the middle M2M_SB slot?

FYI

Apple Wireless Keyboard connected

Sleep Timer set to 1 minute
Nothing happens
Sleep Timer set to 30 minutes
Screen saver running on monitor
Computer awake

Both sleep

Apple Wireless Keyboard disconnected
Wired keyboard connected (otherwise Bluetooth dialog appears looking for a keyboard)

Both sleep

Both sleep

Apple Magic Wireless Mouse Connected
Apple Wireless Keyboard Connected

Both sleep then immediately waken

Sometimes both sleep
Sometimes both sleep then immediately waken

Sleep timer set to 30 minutes
Both sleep

I'm happy with my Apple Magic Mouse and Keyboard. I just have to increase sleep timer to 30 minutes (maybe less) and both will sleep and stay asleep. Works well for me!

Thanks

Rand
This is very helpful -- it is a good controlled experiment. Will add this to FAQ/Troubleshooting in Post #1.

Edit: done.

Have you tried moving Windows 10 to the middle M2M_SB slot?
Yeah, that was where it was initially, I moved it to the top slot to see if it made any difference but sadly no change.

Back