Graphics
RX 6800 XT + RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
48-51C is still okay. My Sabrent Rocket has the best thermal performance, usually operating between 28C and 35C as shown below. My Silicon Power is currently around 46C even though Catalina is booted off the Sabrent Rocket and the Silicon Power is mostly idling.

I should mention that the Sabrent Rocket's M2P slot is currently operating at x2 because there's a PCIe card in the bottom long slot that splits the bandwidth.
View attachment 485409
Very Interesting. I’m gonna turn on NVMEFix.kext later and see what, if anything changes. I’m eyeing that Sabrent Rocket .

Motherboard
Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9 10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT Red Dragon
System boots from the selection of Catalina to the login prompt in about 12 seconds. I haven’t found anything that doesn’t work yet.

hello lcoff!
i have nearly exact the same setup as you (same RAM, GPU, Wifi+BT, only difference: my CPU is i9 10900K and I use Evo 970 SSD) and i wonder why you are able to boot so quick!
My board takes 25 seconds from opencore to login-screen and its stuck for about 3 seconds on something about USB "missing required descriptor" or "power supply unavailable: assuming successful power". the rest of the 25 seconds are just running text, not stopping or waiting anywhere...

I am really interested in your BIOS-Settings if you have anything special and I want to ask which method you use for USB (because that seems to slow down my boot a bit).
Do you use the latest BIOS? have you flashed the thunderbolt-chip or is it original?
How long does your board take from power on to BIOS / Opencore?
Would it be possible to get your BIOS-profile and your EFI so I could test if my boot-speed changes with exactly your setup?

Hey @CaseySJ, with your flashed NVM 50 on the Vision D, does your boot time increase? I noticed that on my Vision D, with the Flashed Thunderbolt NVM, the system post time increases by about 20 seconds or so. Seems that the motherboard is trying to communicate with the thunderbolt controller during post... On stock NVM, boot time is shortened significantly.

I experienced the same problem, but because flashing TB was the first thing I did, I don't know if it would have booted faster without flashing the chip. I got the board, made blind BIOS-Update to F5 over QFlash+ and than flashed the chip. My board then needed about 30 seconds from power on to BIOS. The display on the Board showed "80" for about 17 seconds of that time, and the VGA-LED was lighing most of that 30 seconds. As a side-note, I noticed that one of the network-adapters had MAC 00:00:00:00:00:00. I tried everything, resetting, CMOS-Reset, installing the firmware-Update again, remove all hardware...even with just CPU and RAM and with complete reset BIOS it still took 30 seconds to BIOS. I then decided to return the board.
Then I was more careful with the new one: I first made sure that it booted quicker with original TB-Firmware. Instead of 30 seconds, it now took about 8 seconds to BIOS, with the same BIOS-Version and -settings and the same hardware installed than I had on my old board. Then I flashed the TB-Chip, so now the config was exactly like on my old board, and it still needed only 8 seconds to BIOS.

I guess 8 seconds is still not really fast, but its better than waiting 30 seconds...and now the hex-codes on the board's display just run through, its not pausing anymore at "80", not even for a second.

I also noticed that a Diff between the TB-Firmware-BIN of my first (broken) board and the modified Firmware-BIN from here showed a lot more differences than a Diff between the original TB-FW of my second board and the modified Firmware-BIN from here. So overall, returning the first board was the right choice I guess.

Because you also seem to have slow boots: do you have a valid MAC on both of your network cards? is your board pausing at a specific code while it boots? how many differences do you see in your thunderbolt-firmware compared to the modified one? I attached my TB-Bins from my first and my second board for you, if you want to compare.

I don't know if this helps to get more knowledge about the slow boots, but it looks like there is the possibility that thunderbolt-flashing (or something else, maybe not directly related to TB) has an impact on POST/boot times.

Attachments

• TB_FW.zip
    552.2 KB · Views: 10
Motherboard
GA-Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
just upgraded to z490 Vision-D (bios F5) + i9-10900k and installed latest Catalina and then Big Sur, so all looks great, but no luck with thunderbolt 3 and Apollo UAD2 "no device found!" I use Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter it works years with others boards, on Windows 10 is same situation just "no device found!"
Very strange because connection to Monitor using usb3.1(TB3) to DP cable work great. What can I do now, any advice please. Maybe the board has some issue and I should to replace it?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just to be sure: when the system enters sleep, it actually shuts down instead? So that means it won't wake with keypress or mouse movement? Are you using SSDT-GPRW, which has the effect of waking only with power button?

When the system has allegedly gone to sleep and you press the power button, does the system go through a full start, which includes Gigabyte Splash Screen and OpenCore Picker Menu?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
just upgraded to z490 Vision-D (bios F5) + i9-10900k and installed latest Catalina and then Big Sur, so all looks great, but no luck with thunderbolt 3 and Apollo UAD2 "no device found!" I use Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter it works years with others boards, on Windows 10 is same situation just "no device found!"
Very strange because connection to Monitor using usb3.1(TB3) to DP cable work great. What can I do now, any advice please. Maybe the board has some issue and I should to replace it?
Did the UAD Apollo work properly under Catalina? Please keep in mind that changes in Big Sur related to third-party kernel extensions may break a lot of existing device drivers. Big Sur is a public beta meant only for testing purposes and should ideally be installed on a separate dedicated SSD. But all real work must continue to be done on Catalina.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I also noticed that a Diff between the TB-Firmware-BIN of my first (broken) board and the modified Firmware-BIN from here showed a lot more differences than a Diff between the original TB-FW of my second board and the modified Firmware-BIN from here. So overall, returning the first board was the right choice I guess.
Hello @traeu,

Welcome to the forum!

My boot times are also in the neighborhood of 30 seconds (from power-up to OpenCore Picker), though I haven't timed it recently. It does not bother me at all, but I do recall it being faster before flashing the Thunderbolt firmware.

Regarding the differences between original firmware and the modified one, please check to see if most of the differences are in byte offset 0x0 to 0x3FFF. That region contains large "scratch" areas that appear to be different on each board. We noticed this a while ago, but it appears to have no negative effect.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700k
Graphics
5700xt
Just to be sure: when the system enters sleep, it actually shuts down instead? So that means it won't wake with keypress or mouse movement? Are you using SSDT-GPRW, which has the effect of waking only with power button?

When the system has allegedly gone to sleep and you press the power button, does the system go through a full start, which includes Gigabyte Splash Screen and OpenCore Picker Menu?

@CaseySJ

I tried testing the Fenvi test this without the USB splitter. Connected Fenvi USB directly to MB and got the same results as before. When I disconnected the USB cable, but kept the Fenvi card in the PCIe slot the system successfully went to sleep in Windows and would wake up with USB Keyboard and mouse. In MacOS it goes to sleep, but does not wake up with mouse and keyboard. I have to push the power switch and it restarts, showing the bios screen and then goes to OpenCore picker. I'll try completely removing the Fenvi card to see if that fixes it for MacOS.

Here's the error log that is now popping up.

1598218322836.png

Where do I find SSDT-GPRW?

Also I noticed it takes around 15-20 seconds longer for the cpu to go to sleep in MacOS than Windows, not sure if this is normal?

Edit: Looks like it's the Fenvi card causing the problem. Sleep and wake work when it's completely uninstalled. Going to return it and try the Youbo one.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9 10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT Red Dragon
My boot times are also in the neighborhood of 30 seconds (from power-up to OpenCore Picker), though I haven't timed it recently. It does not bother me at all, but I do recall it being faster before flashing the Thunderbolt firmware.

Regarding the differences between original firmware and the modified one, please check to see if most of the differences are in byte offset 0x0 to 0x3FFF. That region contains large "scratch" areas that appear to be different on each board. We noticed this a while ago, but it appears to have no negative effect.

Hello @CaseySJ and thanks for your answer.
You are right, most of the differences are before 0x3FFF, good to know that this makes no difference.
Now I am a bit confused that you also experience long POST-times up to 30 seconds!
Is your board also waiting at a specific number at the boards display, like my first one was waiting at "80"?
I wonder why my board is faster after I exchanged it, even if the BIOS-Version, BIOS-Settings and the TB-Chip-FW-Version are the same like before. I hope that long boot-time is not needed somehow and my thunderbolt works! I see it under "Thunderbolt" in System Information, but I can't test it yet.

One more question: If Hotplug of USB3-Devices does not work on my Thunderbolt-Ports (USB2 works, USB3 works only if plugged in before booting) is this unrelated to thunderbolt, or could this be a sign of not properly working thunderbolt? I only have USB devices to test, no TB-device yet...

Last edited: