Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700k
Graphics
5700xt
Hello @OskiTheBear,

Welcome the forum and glad to hear the build is (mostly) working. If the system is unable to enter sleep, we need to see which components are installed in the system:
  • What is the make/model of the CPU cooler?
  • Is CPU cooler connected to internal USB 2.0 header?
  • What devices are connected to internal USB 2.0 header?
  • Do you have a WiFi/BT card? If so, what make and model?
  • Are there any other PCIe devices?
  • Are there any Thunderbolt devices connected?

Thanks for the Response @CaseySJ , here's the information you asked for.

• NZXT Kraken X73 360 mm
  • Yes
  • AIO cooler, Fenvi T919, NZXT Smart Device
  • Yes, Fenvi T919
  • Only the GPU and WiFi/BT card.
  • No Thunderbolt devices.

Here are my power settings as well. Wasn't sure if they were right.

1598141451842.png

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for the Response @CaseySJ , here's the information you asked for.

• NZXT Kraken X73 360 mm
  • Yes
  • AIO cooler, Fenvi T919, NZXT Smart Device
  • Yes, Fenvi T919
  • Only the GPU and WiFi/BT card.
  • No Thunderbolt devices.

Here are my power settings as well. Wasn't sure if they were right.

View attachment 485360
Very good.
  • If you unplug the Kraken from the USB header, does the system enter sleep and remain asleep?
  • If system still fails to sleep, the (a) reconnect the Kraken, but (b) remove the Fenvi FV-T919 and check sleep again.
Be sure to shutdown the system and flip power switch on PSU to OFF whenever disconnecting or attaching components to the motherboard.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9 10900K 3.7 GHz
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi
I've found out on how to get verbose (cmd+v) during opencore boot and so I got the installation boot message. Anyone can help me out to tell me what is wrong? I am stopped on this screen.

opencore-trouble.jpg

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Things are mostly working for me. But my Sabrent Rocket NVMe4 Crystal benchmarks at about half what others report in Windows 10 Pro. I have the latest drivers from Gigabyte. And the Intel Power Gadget won't open at all in Windows.
Are you using the PCIe 4.0 version of Sabrent Rocket?
Regarding issues with Windows, I generally ask people to search for answers on Google. This thread is principally about macOS.
Something else I'm noticing is that despite pretty light use my Samsung Evo is down to 92% "life". A Hackintosh seems to really shorten the life of an SSD. My last Samsung seemed to be doing the same thing.
My ADATA, Sabrent, and Silicon Power NVMe SSDs are still well above 95% (most are between 99%-100%) even after months of use. A Hackintosh per se does not shorten the life of an SSD. Other factors may be involved such as TRIM Support. We should look at System Information --> NVMExpress to check if TRIM Support is Yes or No.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi
I've found out on how to get verbose (cmd+v) during opencore boot and so I got the installation boot message. Anyone can help me out to tell me what is wrong? I am stopped on this screen.

View attachment 485363
Have you unlocked your motherboard's MSR 0xE2 (CFG-Lock)?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700k
Graphics
Gigabyte RX580 8GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here to report another successful Z490 Vision D build. Thanks @CaseySJ and others who've made it this smooth. Finally retiring the workhorse Sandybridge 2600k that's served faithfully. Pulled up a Logic session that used to struggle and the 10700k handles it superbly.

System (iMac 19,1):
Board: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU: i7 10700k (Dark Rock Pro 4)
RAM: 2x16GB Corair Vengeance @ 3200Mhz
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS RX580 8GB
Storage: 2x1TB Samsung 860 Pro (dual booting Catalina/Windows 10) + 2x4TB WD Black
Case: Fractal Design R5
Displays: 2x Dell U2414H

Tested with both an RME Babyface and RME Fireface UFX and both work perfectly (so far!).

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here to report another successful Z490 Vision D build. Thanks @CaseySJ and others who've made it this smooth. Finally retiring the workhorse Sandybridge 2600k that's served faithfully. Pulled up a Logic session that used to struggle and the 10700k handles it superbly.

System (iMac 19,1):
Board: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU: i7 10700k (Dark Rock Pro 4)
RAM: 2x16GB Corair Vengeance @ 3200Mhz
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS RX580 8GB
Storage: 2x1TB Samsung 860 Pro (dual booting Catalina/Windows 10) + 2x4TB WD Black
Case: Fractal Design R5
Displays: 2x Dell U2414H

Tested with both an RME Babyface and RME Fireface UFX and both work perfectly (so far!).
Wonderful! Glad to hear it.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D rev 1.1
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Are you using the PCIe 4.0 version of Sabrent Rocket?
Regarding issues with Windows, I generally ask people to search for answers on Google. This thread is principally about macOS.

My ADATA, Sabrent, and Silicon Power NVMe SSDs are still well above 95% (most are between 99%-100%) even after months of use. A Hackintosh per se does not shorten the life of an SSD. Other factors may be involved such as TRIM Support. We should look at System Information --> NVMExpress to check if TRIM Support is Yes or No.

That's a yes on the Rocket being PCIe 4.0. I have not installed a NVMe for MacOS yet. I'm dual booting with my Samsung in a PCI SATA 2.5 inch drive card for MacOS. That gets about 500 read/write just as with my Z77. I do like that it doesn't require a cable, but eventually I'll run MacOS on an NVMe device.

On Trim that's a no. Opinions on Trim seem so mixed that I stopped enabling it. And the Windows NVMe device doesn't even appear in NVMExpress. I think this is because I installed the Gigabyte drivers from Intel in Windows. This altered the BIOS for NVMe devices. The speed both before and after the driver install in Windows was exactly the same.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9 10900K 3.7 GHz
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Have you unlocked your motherboard's MSR 0xE2 (CFG-Lock)?
I have the bios updated to F5 so I thought I should not worry to this, should I? Thanks for your time answering me!

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have the bios updated to F5 so I thought I should not worry to this, should I? Thanks for your time answering me!
On Vision G, the latest BIOS is F6. I believe only F6 has CFG-Lock disabled.