Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ Segment Two completed.

CCC backup 5.1.18 boots.

Working....
*Your guided installation process.
:clap:

*OC boot menu. Simply the fastest I have witnessed. Sub 10sec to password request.
*Audio.
*One click wake-up.
*Thunderbolt, THUNDERBOLT...HOT PLUG!!!
*UA drivers and devices. LUNA, ProTools, Logic.

Segment Three????

The hunt is now engaged for locating two i9-10900Ks.

Tony.

Hi there,

I see that you have got Logic and Pro Tools up and running. What version of PT are you running and Catalina? Seeing this is giving me hope as I too use Logic, Pro Tools and Cubase. I’m feeling this build is probably the way forward as the Z390 appears to be a bit more difficult to get hold of.
What UA device are you using too? I have an Apollo Quad with a TB3 card installed ready to make the move to a newer system.

Rob

Hi, I'm trying to add the fix to Big Sur for a Corsair Commander Pro being detected as a UPS. I can't update to Beta 2 until I do.

However, I'm getting this error.

1) sudo su
2) sudo mount -uw / (Mount the root filesystem as RW)
2) cd /usr/libexec
3) mv ioupsd ioupsd.ORIG

'rename ioupsd to ioupsd.ORIG: Read-only file system'

Is the file system R/W behaviour different with Big Sur?

Hi, I'm trying to add the fix to Big Sur for a Corsair Commander Pro being detected as a UPS. I can't update to Beta 2 until I do.

However, I'm getting this error.

1) sudo su
2) sudo mount -uw / (Mount the root filesystem as RW)
2) cd /usr/libexec
3) mv ioupsd ioupsd.ORIG

'rename ioupsd to ioupsd.ORIG: Read-only file system'

Is the file system R/W behaviour different with Big Sur?
It's more difficult to mount the system volume as R/W in Big Sur. Please see the post below and note that I cannot provide further technical support for Big Sur Public Beta. Each person is somewhat on their own until Big Sur is formally released.

Excellent (as that is exactly what my build is for). Is your audio interface USB for TB?

Hey man I run a RME Fireface 802 so its connected up by way of normal USB. I found that the computer wouldnt shutdown properly with a Firewire 800 PCI-E card installed.

The big secret to success is turning Serial Port -> Disabled in the BIOS. This solved all my intermittent audio glitches and bug outs in Logic Pro X 10.5.1.

If you check my post history you can see my specs somewhere on this thread :)

Looks good. Is there good space between the GPU and the heat sink? What case do you have?
Yeah there’s about half an inch at a guess? I’m away from home for a few days so can’t measure. I have a BeQuiet! Pure Base 500 Metallic Grey with Window.

@CaseySJ Thank you for this amazing guide and for your work in this thread.
This is my fourth build and by far the easiest.

The only little thing bothering me is my Gigabyte Aorus 5700 XT 8G. During PC start up, fans spin up to 100% until macOs or Windows boots up. This only happens when I start the PC but not when I reboot.
Does other people have this ? Is this a problem with my graphic card ? Should I return it?
I see a lot of people taking the Sapphire Nitro, is it better than the Gigabyte Aorus 5700 XT 8G?

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
Hey man I run a RME Fireface 802 so its connected up by way of normal USB. I found that the computer wouldnt shutdown properly with a Firewire 800 PCI-E card installed.

The big secret to success is turning Serial Port -> Disabled in the BIOS. This solved all my intermittent audio glitches and bug outs in Logic Pro X 10.5.1.

If you check my post history you can see my specs somewhere on this thread :)
Fellow RME enthusiast here. ADI-2 Pro :)

With the stock CPU cooler my I7 seems to peak at 100C when I run Geekbench. It idles around 40 to 50 most of the time. I don't really want to switch to a better cooler. And I chose not to get a K chip.

Thoughts?

With the stock CPU cooler my I7 seems to peak at 100C when I run Geekbench. It idles around 40 to 50 most of the time. I don't really want to switch to a better cooler. And I chose not to get a K chip.

Thoughts?
Noctua NH-D15S is the way to go for me.

Thoughts?
  • Which thermal paste are you using?
  • How much of it was applied?

Back