Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Main uses: Catalina for Multimedia (I'm a musician, so primarily Logic Pro X, Premiere Pro, Photoshop etc) and Windows 10 side is for gaming. As you can see I have both OS installed on separate identical 1TB ADATA M.2 drives. I've put them in M.2 slots 2 and 3 as if I have to remove them for any reason, removing the graphics card is a pain due to the cooler - Is it absolutely imperative that the Windows SSD is in slot 1?
Hello @Higgie,

We should install the Windows M.2 SSD "above" the macOS SSD. Windows SSD does not have to be in the top (M2A) slot. If the macOS SSD is in the bottom (M2P) slot, then Windows can be in the middle (M2M) slot.
I haven't had many issues, I added device ids in my config.plist to enable HDMI Audio and Sidecar which has worked a treat. I was thinking of upgrading to OpenCore 0.6.0 and Catalina 10.15.6. I have my bootable backup in case anything goes wrong, is this a good idea if everything is stable as I have it?
Because you are already making bootable backups (and have a dedicated Catalina Back SSD -- kudos!), it's fairly safe to upgrade to both OpenCore 0.6.0 and Catalina 10.15.6. We should start with one of the two template configs provided in the 0.6.0 mini guide (config-AMD-GPU.plist in your case), rename it to config.plist, and transfer the System Serial Number, System UUID, and Board Serial Number into it.
One problem I am having (although in real world terms it's not actually a problem) my RX580 is sometimes seen as x16 and sometimes as x8, when I have nothing in PCIE slot 2 - and there doesn't seem to be any reason/pattern to it. ... Seeing that the F5 BIOS update was released I flashed it with this version recently but still no change.
This is an odd issue -- first time someone has experienced and/or reported it. If you are not using PCIe Slot 2, then try setting PCIe Bifurcation Support to 16 / 0 / 0. This is in Settings --> IO Ports in BIOS.
Apologies for the really long post, but one final question - Is there any downside to booting Windows from OpenCore instead of from the BIOS boot menu? To me it seems kind of counter intuitive to make Windows think it's running on a Mac, when the hardware is designed for it, and the goal of this whole thing is to make MacOS think it's running on a Mac. I'm using BootStrap in the config.plist.
The OpenCore developers (a group known as acidanthera) have modified all of their SSDTs to include:
Code:
if (_OSI ("Darwin"))
{
   // then do Mac stuff
}
This makes the SSDTs compatible with both Windows and Mac, so it's okay to boot Windows through OpenCore. You will note that I have not added this to the USB port mapping SSDT, but that is perfectly fine because that SSDT relies upon USBInjectAll.kext, which is obviously a Mac kernel extension. So the USB SSDT will have no effect in Windows.

Last edited:
Hello @Higgie,

We should install the Windows M.2 SSD "above" the macOS SSD. Windows SSD does not have to be in the top (M2A) slot. If the macOS SSD is in the bottom (M2P) slot, then Windows can be in the middle (M2M) slot.

Because you are already making bootable backups (and have a dedicated Catalina Back SSD -- kudos!), it's fairly safe to upgrade to both OpenCore 0.6.0 and Catalina 10.15.6. We should start with one of the two template configs provided in the 0.6.0 mini guide (config-AMD-GPU.plist in your case), rename it to config.plist, and transfer the System Serial Number, System UUID, and Board Serial Number into it.

This is an odd issue -- first time someone has experienced and/or reported it. If you are not using PCIe Slot 2, then try setting PCIe Bifurcation Support to 16 / 0 / 0. This is in Settings --> IO Ports in BIOS.

The OpenCore developers (a group known as acidanthera) have modified all of their SSDTs to include:
Code:
if (_OSI ("Darwin"))
{
   // then do Mac stuff
}
This makes the SSDTs compatible with both Windows and Mac, so it's okay to boot Windows through OpenCore. You will note that I have not added this to the USB port mapping SSDT, but that is perfectly find because that SSDT relies upon USBInjectAll.kext, which is obviously a Mac kernel extension. So the USB SSDT will have no effect in Windows.

Thanks so much for the detailed response Casey!

Pretty sure I have installed Windows on the M.2 in slot 2, I will check and swap them over if necessary.

I'll give OC 0.6.0 a go then! Thanks so much again for all your hard work.

Regarding the PCIE Bifurcation - the only options I have are:

Auto
PCIE x8/x8
PCIE x8/x4/x4

And it is set to Auto.

And lastly, regarding the modified SSDTs with the if (_OSI ("Darwin")) code, is that as of 0.6.0?

One last thing - As I have the Magic Keyboard and Trackpad, I would like to keep Wake from Bluetooth enabled (I haven't had any trouble with this so far) so should I remove SSDT-UIAC-Vision-D-V2.aml from the config.plist?

Edit: Just seen it is disabled by default - So I should be fine, unless I have trouble with it, in which case I can enable?

Sorry for all the newbie questions - this is my very first computer build, let alone Hackintosh, so I'm quite new to all this :)

One last thing - As I have the Magic Keyboard and Trackpad, I would like to keep Wake from Bluetooth enabled (I haven't had any trouble with this so far) so should I remove SSDT-UIAC-Vision-D-V2.aml from the config.plist?

Edit: Just seen it is disabled by default - So I should be fine, unless I have trouble with it, in which case I can enable?

Sorry for all the newbie questions - this is my very first computer build, let alone Hackintosh, so I'm quite new to all this :)
Wake from Bluetooth will work with both V1 and V2 of the USB SSDT.
Regarding the PCIE Bifurcation - the only options I have are:

Auto
PCIE x8/x8
PCIE x8/x4/x4

And it is set to Auto.
Yes you're right -- it's Auto. If the GPU continues to switch between x8 and x16, it might indicate some compatibility issues with the particular GPU you're using. A number of different components are experiencing various problems (some NVMe drives in certain slots prevent boot; some Fenvi cards don't work; and now some GPUs flip between x8 and x16).

This is why Apple controls the entire ecosystem, which ensures that the hardware they use works reliably.
And lastly, regarding the modified SSDTs with the if (_OSI ("Darwin")) code, is that as of 0.6.0?
Even 0.5.9 has those changes, but SSDT-NVRAM.aml should be replaced with the one from the 0.6.0 EFI zip -- or use the one attached here.

Attachments

• SSDT-NVRAM.aml
    144 bytes · Views: 44
Last edited:
Once again, thank you sir! Just editing your config.plist now - I have removed a couple of bootflags (pikera and shikivga) as from what I can tell, my RX580 needs neither? If that's all good, I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot now!

Once again, thank you sir! Just editing your config.plist now - I have removed a couple of bootflags (pikera and shikivga) as from what I can tell, my RX580 needs neither? If that's all good, I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot now!
You may safely remove agdpmod=pikera because the RX 580 does not require it. However, shikigva allows DRM content playback. Please see:

You may safely remove agdpmod=pikera because the RX 580 does not require it. However, shikigva allows DRM content playback. Please see:

Thanks Casey. I have added shikigva=80 back to the boot args. Your OC Folder worked perfectly. I'm now going to attempt the update to 10.15.6! Thanks again!

Success :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 16.41.54.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 16.41.54.png
    9.8 MB · Views: 72
Back