Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi Thanks for replying, I did that as instructed and it did not work. I used Catalina 10.15.6 (19G2006) should i have used Big Sur instead?
Catalina 10.15.6 is the recommended version. Let's review what happened:
  • You have unlocked MSR 0xE2 (CFG-Lock) or installed BIOS F5 (in which CFG-Lock is unlocked by default)?
  • The Catalina installer boots up and you begin to format the internal WD M.2 SSD from Disk Utilities.
  • You select the parent name of the disk and you choose Format=APFS and Scheme=GUID Partition Map.
  • When you subsequently select Erase, no errors are reported and the M.2 drive is successfully formatted?
  • Now when you begin macOS installation and click on the internal WD M.2 drive, the installer does not show any error message at all, but just returns you back to the main menu?
    • After selecting the WD M.2 SSD, but before beginning the installation, are you able to go to the Window menu and open the Installer Log?

Catalina 10.15.6 is the recommended version. Let's review what happened:
  • You have unlocked MSR 0xE2 (CFG-Lock) or installed BIOS F5 (in which CFG-Lock is unlocked by default)?
  • The Catalina installer boots up and you begin to format the internal WD M.2 SSD from Disk Utilities.
  • You select the parent name of the disk and you choose Format=APFS and Scheme=GUID Partition Map.
  • When you subsequently select Erase, no errors are reported and the M.2 drive is successfully formatted?
  • Now when you begin macOS installation and click on the internal WD M.2 drive, the installer does not show any error message at all, but just returns you back to the main menu?
    • After selecting the WD M.2 SSD, but before beginning the installation, are you able to go to the Window menu and open the Installer Log?

Yes, firmware is F5
The installer boots up i get the macOs utilities screen I use disk utility and Format=APFS and Scheme=GUID Partition Map and Erase. no errors. I am able to open the installer log enclosed is a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1831 copy.pdf
    16.8 MB · Views: 68
Yes, firmware is F5
The installer boots up i get the macOs utilities screen I use disk utility and Format=APFS and Scheme=GUID Partition Map and Erase. no errors. I am able to open the installer log enclosed is a picture.
"InstallAssistant" generated a memory access violation (segmentation fault in which the process tried to access memory outside of its allocated memory segment).

Couple of suggestions:
  • Use a good name brand USB flash disk (USB 3.0 preferred) and capacity of 16GB or larger.
  • Erase the USB flash disk.
  • Re-create the USB flash disk (no need to re-download Catalina...yet) by following the appropriate sections of Step 2.
  • Try the installation again using the new or reformatted USB flash disk.
Do you have another SSD available just in case there's a problem with WD M.2? Even a SATA SSD can be used temporarily.

Yes, firmware is F5

Thank you! I
"InstallAssistant" generated a memory access violation (segmentation fault in which the process tried to access memory outside of its allocated memory segment).

Couple of suggestions:
  • Use a good name brand USB flash disk (USB 3.0 preferred) and capacity of 16GB or larger.
  • Erase the USB flash disk.
  • Re-create the USB flash disk (no need to re-download Catalina...yet) by following the appropriate sections of Step 2.
  • Try the installation again using the new or reformatted USB flash disk.
Do you have another SSD available just in case there's a problem with WD M.2? Even a SATA SSD can be used temporarily.

Thank you! I tried 2 different flash drives. Both sandisk, i may just go buy a brand new one and try again. I do have another M.2 and SSD that i tried and got the same result. Maybe I'm unlucky and the USB drives I have are junk. It's possible... they are a few years old.

Thank you! I

Thank you! I tried 2 different flash drives. Both sandisk, i may just go buy a brand new one and try again. I do have another M.2 and SSD that i tried and got the same result. Maybe I'm unlucky and the USB drives I have are junk. It's possible... they are a few years old.
It might be a good idea to test memory as well. Rember or MemTest can be used, but I've not used either one myself.

Hello @cocoman0311,

When you formatted your M.2 disk with Disk Utility (from the Big Sur installer), did you select View --> Show All Devices and click on the parent name of the M.2 SSD? And then select Format = APFS and Scheme = GUID Partition Map?
Yeah, I missed that the first time around as well (show all devices), but on a re-read I caught it. ... it stinks that apple chooses to bury menu items, especially when you are in was is essentially an ADMIN tool.

Next I need GenSMBIOS-master to get its servers updated. I'll be curious to see if iMac20,1 will have any substantial difference from iMacPro1,1, which I'm using now.

Updated to supplemental update (10.15.6 (19G2021)) with no issues.

Back