Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

So you didn't make a backup?? See why I keep emphasizing the need for (bootable) backups?

At the OpenCore Pickup, press spacebar to reveal extra options. Also go through Post #1 again. It's all broken down Step by Step.

Thanks! The space bar did the trick. For some reason I don't remember doing this the last time. After doing this everything went through smoothly.

Yes I did have the installation USB drive from the last time. However since it got stuck I figured I'd just recreate it from scratch (I thought I did something post installation that made it corrupt).

@CaseySJ any success using the onboard bluetooth controller on the Z490?

Also got a weird issue on Apple TV app.
I have fixed the DRM issue following the post install guide on the opencore guide and added shikivga=80 to the boot argument (again as per the guide).
I can start the Apple TV app and the content is loaded without any issues. As soon as I play an apple movie (one that is part of Apple TV+ for instance), a window is opened as if to start playing then it closes straight away.
Note however that if I watch the same movie from tv.apple.com in the web browsers (Vivaldi and Google Chrome), it plays with no issue. But interestingly it does not play from Safari. I am sure it has something to do with DRM but I can't figure out what it is since I followed the post install instructions. Unless there is something else that I have missed.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey Casey!
Keep up the amazing work.

I was wondering if it’s a good idea to buy an F series cpu at this point. Not sure if the imacpro or Mac Pro smbioses are viable for z490.

Does macOS, looking for a T2 chip for certain tasks, pose an issue?

I guess investigating the imac20,1 smbios is something that’s already on your plate.
Hello @coolahad

Yes it's viable to buy an F series CPU and use iMacPro and perhaps Mac Pro. If a T2 chip is not present, macOS simply bypasses it. We used to think that SideCar on Hackintosh would only work on a non-T2 SMBIOS, but I believe even that has been debunked or patched away.

iMac20,1 is very new and will not work with Catalina until the next Supplemental Update or Incremental Update.

@CaseySJ
Thanks again for your continuous work! Looking forward to try Big Sur.

BTW there seem to be a working Wi-Fi driver for Intel AX201 module! (https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless/itlwm - latest alpha in Releases)
Did you have a chance to try it out? I'm kind of tempted but won't have time until next week or so!
You may like THIS as well. Goes hand in hand with the above driver to allow native macOS wireless menu control, rather than Heliport or adding your own SSID/PW to the kext.
Just tried the Intel WiFi kext (itlwm), but very mixed results:
  • On Z490 Vision D with Intel AX201, driver does not work as-is. It may be possible to copy-paste the appropriate Linux driver/module into the kext.
  • On Z390 Designare with Intel 9560, the driver shows the following, but I was not able to actually transfer data. We can scan for WiFi networks and connect to them dynamically, but no data transfer seems to occur.
Intel WiFi.png

Last edited:
Hey CaseySJ,

Which kexts and/or .amls need to be removed for the Vision G? I'd like to upgrade my EFI folder but I see there are a ton of new SSDTs in the ACPI folder now?

Thanks in advance mate!

Best,

Tom

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-10 at 17.45.51.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-10 at 17.45.51.png
    562.4 KB · Views: 64
Hey CaseySJ,

Which kexts and/or .amls need to be removed for the Vision G? I'd like to upgrade my EFI folder but I see there are a ton of new SSDTs in the ACPI folder now?

Thanks in advance mate!

Best,

Tom
Hello @hughythomas

Fortunately the upgrade from OpenCore 0.5.9 to 0.6.0 should be quite straightforward for the Vision G.
  • First make a copy of your existing EFI folder (select the folder in Finder and press CMD-D to Duplicate). Set that copy aside in case you need to revert back.
Now start with the EFI folder you already have (no need to modify my EFI 0.6.0 folder) and then copy the following files from my folder into your folder:
  • Copy new BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
  • Copy new OC/OpenCore.efi
  • Copy new OC/BootStrap/bootStrap.efi
  • No need to change anything in ACPI folder.
  • Replace all files in your Tools folder from those in my Tools folder
  • Replace kexts that already exist in your Kexts folder with those from my folder. Do not copy any new kexts that don't already exist in your Kexts folder.
  • Replace drivers that already exist in your Drivers folder with those from my EFI 0.6.0 folder. Again, do not copy any new drivers that don't already exist in your Drivers folder.
  • Now the only tricky part:
    • Download latest OpenCore Configurator 2.9.0.0 or newer and set its Preferences to 0.6.0 Release Version as shown in the 0.6.0 Mini-Guide.
    • Now open your original config.plist and save it back. This has the effect of adding/modifying the XML syntax to be compliant with OpenCore 0.6.0.
Double-check everything then perform a test boot.

Hi, is there a way to enable surround sound(5.1) via analog. connection ?

Hey all, just a quick update and 2 issues.

Firstly, I've been slowly adding Software in my attempt to port over from my MBP while working from home. So far, so good.
I do a lot of data work, so notably:
  • mySQL Server, Workbench
  • DBeaver Enterprise
Hardware additions:
  • I was gifted a 5k monitor (what's not to like about that!) so this was added to the mix (all running through the RX 580)
    • BenQ PD3200U (DP)
    • LG Ultrafine (DP => USB C)
    • Asus VS278 (HDMI)
      1597078381409.png
  • miniDSP mic (really nice calibrated USB mic, BTW). This was to address Issue 1 below.
    1597079644705.png
Issue 1: Headphone level mic input. I have some Sennheiser HD6XX with an integrated mic cable. I used a splitter to connect to the front panel https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZDDTH2/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
  • Using the Audio Midi setup utility, I was able to get minimal mic audio only after jacking the gain up to max. quality was not good and then seemed to fail during an online webEx session.
  • My solution was to simply use the USB mic without issue
  • Is there a Mac utility similar to the Realtek HD Audio configurator for Windows? Ideally I'd like to set the gain and configure the front panel plug to work as an integrated mic/headphone jack, rather than having to use a splitter. I used this utility on my daughter's rig I recently built (Windows, for gaming), and it worked perfectly.
Issue 2: My computer will not boot with all 3 monitors plugged in. It will only boot with *just* the HDMI monitor plugged in. Once the computer boots, I can hot plug in the two other DP monitors and everything is just fine. I haven't made any BIOS changes as of yet. I'm on version 5. I saw this in the OP, but have not tried it yet:
Certain AMD GPUs will be detected and listed in BIOS Setup, but when connecting a monitor to those GPUs, neither BIOS splash screen nor OpenCore boot menu will be displayed. This problem may be due to issues in the VBIOS of the GPU. A workaround is to enable CSM Support in BIOS Setup.
The behavior is really strange - The fans spin up, color LEDs all light but nothing else. The 2-digit LED status on the motherboard remains blanked out, so it's not moving off og "Go". So clearly this has nothing at all to do with the OS. It had this behavior when I was first building the rig before even getting to the OS load. The only thing a search returned was this: https://community.amd.com/thread/221133

Both these issues are certainly not showstoppers, but mere annoyances since I have workarounds.

Cheers,
-J

P.S. She's looking pretty :)
1597084851687.png

1597084889540.png

Ok.. So i´m starting with this! Got stuck at the first step. I downloaded the installer with gibmacOs, but when I try to build the installer I get an error that sais not well-formed...
I tried with a different version and still the same error...
Sorry but I´m a total noob here.

Ok.. So i´m starting with this! Got stuck at the first step. I downloaded the installer with gibmacOs, but when I try to build the installer I get an error that sais not well-formed...
I tried with a different version and still the same error...
Sorry but I´m a total noob here.
Please post a screenshot (CMD-SHIFT-5) of the error.

Back