Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Planning to replace my CPU cooler with FUMA 2, but noticed that its a little too close to the 1st GPU slot.

Will there be a problem if I install the GPU on the 2nd slot instead?
No problem installing GPU in slot 2. Although slot 2 is limited to 8 PCI lanes, you will not see much if any real world drop in GPU performance.

In my view, however, PCI slots are far more important than an unnecessarily oversized air cooler that obstructs those slots. There are many excellent air coolers that do not impose any compromises of this sort. I’m using the BeQuiet Shadow Rock 3 that is even slanted or tilted a little towards the back of the case, which provides extra clearance for DIMM modules. And slot 1 is completely unobstructed.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ Not sure if it is still the right post but just have a question on the graphic card. I have a Gigabyte 5600XT OC installed in my system. None of the fans on that board are spinning. is that normal?
This is normal. Fans on these GPUs will spin up when temperature reaches 55-60C.
The reason that i am asking is that I have used your benchmarks on the first page and my geekbench 5 OPENCL (and to some extent metal) results with a 5600XT OC 6B are well under yours which are on an RX 580. I am just wondering if the graphic card is not working at its full potential.
is there anything that I am missing in the settings?
Here is a screenshot of the graphics/display properties under "system report"
shouldn't I see some sort of opencl information?
Thanks

View attachment 481900
System Information only reports Metal compatibility now, so the screenshot is quite normal.

The RX 5600 XT should be faster than RX 580, but we suspect that the MacOS drivers for Navi GPUs are not as optimized as they should be. We can install RadeonBoost (not recommended when updating macOS), but that just seems to improve benchmarks and has little impact on real world apps.

In @hughythomas' defense I'll say that:
  • When a motherboard is first released, it is a good idea to keep installing latest firmware (BIOS). This is the stage where problems are being discovered and fixed.
  • When he reverted back to the previous BIOS, the problems remained.
So I think the real issue is USB 2.0 port stability. Apple supposedly fixed this problem in Catalina 10.15.6, but I've not seen any corroboration of the specific USB 2 instability that we've been experiencing on both Z390 Designare and Z490 Vision G (and possibly D).

The USB 2.0 Best Practices guide has been a game changer for Z390 Designare users with multiple USB 2.0 devices.

Hey Casey, I've just installed the inateck PCI-E card (with 4x USB 3.0s) and the problem is still persisting. Any other bright ideas?

Best,

Tom

Holy wow, seven hour stress test @5ghz on a 10900k. What are you running for cooling? I’m on a 10700k with Noctua NH-U12S at stock freqs and cannot run a lengthy stress test without worry. Not sure if my chip is a dud or if Comet Lake is just meant to run super hot, but my temps under load reach mid to upper 80s easily. Idle temps extremely reasonable in mid 20s to low 30s. Reapplied thermal paste out of curiosity with no change. Kind of odd.

I'm running custom water cooling mate.

1.275v on core (fixed voltage) 5ghz overclock on 10900K with a Phanteks cpu block in a Phanteks 719 enclosure. Highest temp with this vcore was 74c so yes, they do run hot these chips.

Hey guys - new topic with the V2.0 script for Vision D motherboards...

I can't get OpenCore to boot into single-user mode with "Command-S" being held down immediately after selecting the boot drive. I can do recovery just find with "Command-R" and into safe mode with "Shift".

Does the OpenCore script somehow ignore single user mode either from a DisableSingleUser flag in the OpenCore config file or because we're using an iMac19,1 system definition?

I ask because...well, my perfectly good Hackintosh now kernel panics nearly immediately upon login due to my attempt to install Intel Power Gadget. That install did not go well (crashed) and now there's a kernel extension in the protected system participation that I need to remove. I know how to do that...once I can get into single user mode.

And yes, I do have a backup...but I'd like to surgically fix my NVMe boot device instead of wiping/reinstalling everything if possible given that this SHOULD be a simple fix...

Alternative means of doing this from a different boot drive would also be welcomed...Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Casey, I've just installed the inateck PCI-E card (with 4x USB 3.0s) and the problem is still persisting. Any other bright ideas?
Let's start from the beginning:
  • Which USB devices are connected to which ports or cards? (This will be an inventory of all USB devices and their connection points.)
    • Also note which devices are USB 2.0 and which ones are USB 3.x.
  • Describe the problem that occurs and the frequency at which it occurs.
  • Does the problem occur when using specific software? If so, which software?
  • Does the problem occur when using a particular USB device? If so, which device?
  • Is the problem happening only with USB devices?
  • Are you running Catalina 10.15.6 (latest release)?

Hey guys - new topic with the V2.0 script for Vision D motherboards...

I can't get OpenCore to boot into single-user mode with "Command-S" being held down immediately after selecting the boot drive. I can do recovery just find with "Command-R" and into safe mode with "Shift".

Does the OpenCore script somehow ignore single user mode either from a DisableSingleUser flag in the OpenCore config file or because we're using an iMac19,1 system definition?

I ask because...well, my perfectly good Hackintosh now kernel panics nearly immediately upon login due to my attempt to install Intel Power Gadget. That install did not go well (crashed) and now there's a kernel extension in the protected system participation that I need to remove. I know how to do that...once I can get into single user mode.

And yes, I do have a backup...but I'd like to surgically fix my NVMe boot device instead of wiping/reinstalling everything if possible given that this SHOULD be a simple fix...

Alternative means of doing this from a different boot drive would also be welcomed...Thanks!
Have you tried removing those kexts through Recovery Mode and, if necessary, typing the following to make the root file system read/write?
Bash:
sudo mount -uw /
or maybe...
Bash:
sudo mount -uw /Volumes/Catalina
...where "Catalina" should be replaced by the actual name of your Catalina SSD.

Hello, MacOS is turned off, the motherboard does not support Wake-on-LAN, you need to modify IntelMausi->IntelMausiEthernet.cpp->wolCapable = false; wolActive = false; (replace them with true)

I have compiled and tested it, no problem.
But I only compiled the debug version successfully, and the release version reported an error

Let's start from the beginning:
  • Which USB devices are connected to which ports or cards? (This will be an inventory of all USB devices and their connection points.)
    • Also note which devices are USB 2.0 and which ones are USB 3.x.
  • Describe the problem that occurs and the frequency at which it occurs.
  • Does the problem occur when using specific software? If so, which software?
  • Does the problem occur when using a particular USB device? If so, which device?
  • Is the problem happening only with USB devices?
  • Are you running Catalina 10.15.6 (latest release)?

Hi again Casey,

I'm running latest Catalina 10.15.6.

My system specs are as follows:

Gigabyte Vision G (F6 BIOS latest)
Intel 10900K @ 5Ghz / 1.270 fixed vcore
32GB Viper Steel Series 1.35v 3600Mhz 19-19-19-39
Sapphire Radeon 5700XT 8GB
Samsung 970 NVME (Mac OS)
Various SATA SSDs (Music drives)
Superflower 1000W PSU
Custom water cooling in a Phanteks 719

I previously got the RME FF802 working over USB using one of the top two usb 2.0 ports on the Vision G (HS11/HS13) as shown here:

USBmap.png

I have a usb keyboard and a usb mouse plugged into HS05 and SS07 but it doesnt matter where anything is plugged in I'm still experiencing this frustrating problem with my usb audio interface. I've even tried completely removing everything and just having the FF802 plugged in to every port and tried to no avail.

When you turn the power switch to 'on' physically to the FF802 two things are meant to happen:

1. System loads the Fireface settings driver panel
2. System loads RME Totalmix FX routing software

When the thing was working correctly on previous BIOS F6a these two things happen instantly (like they should). Since I upgraded the BIOS to F6d it fudged it so whilst the Fireface settings loads instantly the RME Totalmix software is stuck bouncing up and down on the dock. Interestingly enough, the USB LED on the front of the FF802 eventually (after about 45 secs waiting) will turn off and on and then everything is loaded but otherwise Totalmix reports the audio interface is disconnected during this time whilst it loads.

If this was the only problem I'd be fine with the wait but the thing is also having audio drop outs in Logic Pro X 10.5.1 and general system wide core audio like Netflix, Youtube and media playback too. Obviously as a music producer I can't really have that!

I did read somewhere else it might be a problem with the Radeon 5700XT (something to do with an AMD HDMI audio driver or something?) but I can't confirm or deny.

Its just so frustrating as it was working perfectly up until the BIOS update so I've been desperately changing settings in BIOS to see if theres anything that may have changed that can get the system working as expected again.

Best,

Tom

Have you tried removing those kexts through Recovery Mode and, if necessary, typing the following to make the root file system read/write?
Bash:
sudo mount -uw /
or maybe...
Bash:
sudo mount -uw /Volumes/Catalina
...where "Catalina" should be replaced by the actual name of your Catalina SSD.

EXCELLENT - that worked. I had been getting file system errors when I tried this before...I finally figured out that I can't include a trailing slash on the boot drive mount command.

One other note -- when booting into Recovery mode, sudo isn't available. Commands ran without it since you're already basically running as root in recovery mode.

I'm also going to do some more experimentation later to figure out why I can't (couldn't??) boot into single user mode. I see from the config files that the DisableSingleUser flag is set to FALSE, so I should be able to. But I had to reboot three times to get Recovery mode to launch again. Finally figured out that I had to cursor back and forth in the OpenCore boot loader to move off and then back onto my planned boot drive, THEN hold down Command-R, THEN click on the boot drive icon with the pointer while keeping those keys held down all the way through boot. I wasn't doing the same for single user...I think I was hitting return to boot the drive and then holding down Command-S...

Back