Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Noticed my system would wake from sleep every ~2hrs - found this post by @iDrakus and this resolved the issue for me.

Hope this helps someone out!

Lol, in hindsight I wish I hadn't updated!

I've just done the update to 10.15.6 without hiccup and the USB audio problem still remains.

I'm perplexed as to how it was working so good before on this BIOS version F6a. I've run a stablity test in win 10 for about 7 hours yesterday to make sure it isn't my 5ghz overclock on the 10900k that is causing the problem and the system didn't skip a beat.

@CaseySJ thank you for pointing me in the direction of the USB guide - so do you reckon the purchase of a seperate powered USB 2.0 hub will likely fix the problem? I guess I could buy a PCI-E card perhaps instead and that might keep the desk a little tidier :)
Holy wow, seven hour stress test @5ghz on a 10900k. What are you running for cooling? I’m on a 10700k with Noctua NH-U12S at stock freqs and cannot run a lengthy stress test without worry. Not sure if my chip is a dud or if Comet Lake is just meant to run super hot, but my temps under load reach mid to upper 80s easily. Idle temps extremely reasonable in mid 20s to low 30s. Reapplied thermal paste out of curiosity with no change. Kind of odd.

@joostiphone,

This issue got sidetracked when it was initially raised so let's see if we can clarify the problem and the solution. Is the following correct?
  • You were trying to use cpu_name to change the name of your processor in About this Mac.
  • But the CPU name was stuck at Unknown.
  • Then you changes CPU Type in Clover to 0x0705 and also re-ran cpu_name, then rebooted.
  • Now you can see the modified CPU name in About this Mac?

This is correct. However, I seem to fixed it already a while ago (I'm not even sure how I did it anymore, I played around with the commands and after a few reboots it was working the way I wanted it to).

When I'm migrating to Big Sur, I will try this again ;-)

@jimbojingle,

Attached is an experimental version of cpu_name called cpu_name_v2.sh. I've modified the script to handle some special cases, but I cannot test the changes because my system is running en_US, which the original script is designed to handle.

To test this on on-US locales, please do the following:
  • Download and unzip the file.
  • Remove the quarantine flag and add file-execute permission by running Terminal and typing:
Bash:
sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine cpu_name_v2.sh
chmod +x cpu_name_v2.sh
  • Then run the script, but press N to not make any changes. What Locale do you see?
Thanks,

After applying the following

cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/
defaults read -g AppleLocale | cut -c 1-2

I get 'en_GB' as my current locale.

Running your modified 'cpu_name_v2.sh' script successfully changed the Processor Name to '3.7 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9-10900K'

Job done, thank you once again.

Do I need to apply any further commands to modify the 'quarantine flag and add file-execute permission' back to how they were?

Last edited:
Planning to replace my CPU cooler with FUMA 2, but noticed that its a little too close to the 1st GPU slot.

Will there be a problem if I install the GPU on the 2nd slot instead?

@joostiphone,

This issue got sidetracked when it was initially raised so let's see if we can clarify the problem and the solution. Is the following correct?
  • You were trying to use cpu_name to change the name of your processor in About this Mac.
  • But the CPU name was stuck at Unknown.
  • Then you changes CPU Type in Clover to 0x0705 and also re-ran cpu_name, then rebooted.
  • Now you can see the modified CPU name in About this Mac?
HI, @CaseySJ

I believe changing CPU type in config.plist has no effect on that script. Setting CPU type in config.plist alone will change CPU name shown in "About this Mac". As you can see from the link I posted, 0x0309 will display i3 and so on. But I do not know if this works for Intel's 10th gen CPUs.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ I noticed in your Z390 Designare build, ALC-16 was used as the Audio layout but ALC-11 for this Z490 Vison D build - is there a reason why?

On my H510 Case, the front panel audio jack - the MIC portion does not seem to be detected in Mac OS, only audio works - but on the Windows side both MIC and audio work normally.

Was thinking of trying out to layout 16 as it uses the same 1220-VB codec as the Z390 Designare.

Any thoughts?

*using a standard Apple EarPod as the headphone btw..
Even on Z390 Designare we’ve switched to Layout ID 11 (in the Catalina and OpenCore Mini-Guides). Layout 16 was causing front panel audio to sound garbled. Feel free to try different Layout IDs.

@CaseySJ Not sure if it is still the right post but just have a question on the graphic card. I have a Gigabyte 5600XT OC installed in my system. None of the fans on that board are spinning. is that normal?
The reason that i am asking is that I have used your benchmarks on the first page and my geekbench 5 OPENCL (and to some extent metal) results with a 5600XT OC 6B are well under yours which are on an RX 580. I am just wondering if the graphic card is not working at its full potential.
is there anything that I am missing in the settings?
Here is a screenshot of the graphics/display properties under "system report"
shouldn't I see some sort of opencl information?
Thanks

1595846063292.png

Noticed my system would wake from sleep every ~2hrs - found this post by @iDrakus and this resolved the issue for me.

Hope this helps someone out!

The “tcpkeepalive” parameter is also mentioned in the Consolidated List of Sleep Aids:

Last edited:
Thanks,

After applying the following

cd /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/
defaults read -g AppleLocale | cut -c 1-2

I get 'en_GB' as my current locale.

Running your modified 'cpu_name_v2.sh' script successfully changed the Processor Name to '3.7 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9-10900K'

Job done, thank you once again.

Do I need to apply any further commands to modify the 'quarantine flag and add file-execute permission' back to how they were?
Awesome! I’ll update Post 1 with the new version.

The quarantine and execute flags do not need to be changed back. MacOS typically adds the quarantine flag to any file or application download from the Internet that is from an unknown or unsigned or untrusted source.

Back