Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Regarding longer boot times, it could potentially be TRIM if your booting from an NVMe drive. Some drivers are known to have a slow TRIM implementation. You could try disabling trim through OC to see if that helps boot times, though unfortunately you can't adjust the timeout limit in recent macOS versions. See the issue below for more details:

Regarding networking, are you using WiFi? Ventura wifi has seemed very problematic. I've seen some issues even with actual Macs, and Intel wifi (if your using it) seems to excaberate that by quite a bit.

@CaseySJ Hi there, I have noticed recently that my booting times are getting longer and longer. It used to be under 20s from power on to Macos loaded. Now it take maybe 30s. Where is the log file that could potentially help me find the culprit? Since upgrading to Ventura I am having issues after issues; network connectivity loss after wake up, booting time taking longer and overall the system is much slower. Sometimes for no reason an application will freeze and I'll get the spinning wheel for a little while. Never had that with Monterey or before. I could leave with longer boot time if I was not losing my internet connection upon wake up. But now it is something like 9 out of 10 wake ups I lose the connectivity and it does not come back even after 10 minutes. Only option I have is a restart and I can now feel the extra 10s or more!
What is even worse is that I will also lose internet connectivity out of the blue.
The command to check for trim issues is (press CTRL-C if the log is long and the command is taking too much time):
Bash:
log show --last boot | grep "trims took"
This is what it generates on my system:
Bash:
% log show --last boot | grep "trims took"
...    kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3293: disk5 scan took 1.798960 s, trims took 1.723631 s
...    kernel: (apfs) spaceman_scan_free_blocks:3293: disk3 scan took 2.592847 s, trims took 2.524236 s
We can see:
  • One drive took 1.723 seconds
  • One drive took 2.524 seconds

Hi all,

First of all - great work seen here - 1000 pages+! Really need to hand it to CaseyJ, as so many reference creator builds to their credit.

I am looking at embarking on a bigger build but since there are zero Z490 Vision D's around, in newish condition, and I missed out on a Vision G on ebay bidding.... I am going to try a Gigabyte W480 Vision D board which looks pretty much the same as the std 490 Vision D but without overclocking support. I can get one of these brand new. The other option i looked as was a mATX Gigabyte 490 Gaming X board - but decided the Vision D series has too many features to ignore. I am just finishing a Dell 3630 build, but it has issues, and no thunderbolt or multi-M2 etc so am thinking the w480 will have more longevity and options once built. I am learning alot about opencore tho from the Dell builds!

So with the W480 - I plan to put an i9-10900 into it, as not interested in overclocking or fan noise - running at stock CPU and using non-ECC mem. I am hoping for an audio and video prod rig, with dual boot Win10, and a RX580/570 gpu.

Given there is not a lot around that details EFI folder examples or full builds on a "W480 golden build" I am hoping for some pointers on what to do different/tweak if i use the baseline EFI from this thread - as my understanding is its the closest thing out there. I am going to attempt a vanilla plug in. I am guess USBMapping may be needed but not thought of anything else I'd need to change.

Also does anyone have any thoughts about RAM compatibility? Am I OK to use 3200 for example? Or just stick with 2666? Cost is actually CHEAPER for 3200's.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Hi all and @CaseySJ
I updated Ventura to 13.3 ß2 (22E5230e) and unfortunately my Intel Wifi is no longer working. All updates were fine before.
It seems something must have been changed...
Moreover OpenCore Configurator 2.67 (up to date) is not yet compatible with OC0.8.9.
Therefore I am not enclined to do any changes !
Any feedback or idea?
Thanks in advance as usual !

Hi all and @CaseySJ
I updated Ventura to 13.3 ß2 (22E5230e) and unfortunately my Intel Wifi is no longer working. All updates were fine before.
It seems something must have been changed...
Moreover OpenCore Configurator 2.67 (up to date) is not yet compatible with OC0.8.9.
Therefore I am not enclined to do any changes !
Any feedback or idea?
Thanks in advance as usual !
Hello @MacArthur,

OpenCore 2.67.0.0 supports Development Version of OC 0.8.9, which is good enough:
Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 3.23.42 PM.png

Regarding Intel WiFi in Ventura 13.3:
  • The latest alpha build on GitHub is 3 weeks old
  • Are you using that version?
  • Hopefully a new version will be posted soon

Just got blindsided by the Gigabyte W480 Vision D:
  • Link to Gigabyte product page.
  • If you strip away the fancy shrouds, the motherboard underneath is nearly identical to the Z490 Vision D.
  • Fortunately, this one supports both Xeon and Comet Lake-S. It may have improved VRM design.

View attachment 477422View attachment 477424

View attachment 477425

HI all, as above - I am embarking on one of these builds. Any commentary or pointers appreciated, but will also post results here/similar thread.

My understanding is the w480 Vision D is "close as you can get" to a z490 Vision D/G so hoping the mainstay of the EFI tweaks and changes in this thread should apply with minimal changes.

Wish me luck!

@d360000 You got a W480 Vision D?
In general, W_80 and C2__ chipsets are 'Z' with ECC support (requires Xeon E, or Core i3 from 9th generation or older), Intel vPro (for remote management… the "poor enterprise" IPMI) but without overclocking. In my limited experience (1*C236, 2*C246 boards), these chipsets for low-end servers/workstations works just fine as hacks.

In the particular, this W480 Vision D appears to differ from the Z490 Vision D sibling only in:
-the aesthetics of the shrouds;​
-W480 chipset (Xeon W-1200 should work out of the box just like Core 10000 CPUs, and ECC is automatically sensed by macOS if enabled);​
-the lack of a PCI power plug.​
Everything else looks identical, so I would even expect that the EFI for Z490 Vision D works without any further tweak with W480 Vision D—but check everything carefully, in particular the USB map and DMAR.

@d360000 You got a W480 Vision D?
In general, W_80 and C2__ chipsets are 'Z' with ECC support (requires Xeon E, or Core i3 from 9th generation or older), Intel vPro (for remote management… the "poor enterprise" IPMI) but without overclocking. In my limited experience (1*C236, 2*C246 boards), these chipsets for low-end servers/workstations works just fine as hacks.

In the particular, this W480 Vision D appears to differ from the Z490 Vision D sibling only in:
-the aesthetics of the shrouds;​
-W480 chipset (Xeon W-1200 should work out of the box just like Core 10000 CPUs, and ECC is automatically sensed by macOS if enabled);​
-the lack of a PCI power plug.​
Everything else looks identical, so I would even expect that the EFI for Z490 Vision D works without any further tweak with W480 Vision D—but check everything carefully, in particular the USB map and DMAR.
Hey - thanks etorix - much appreciated. I hope it is a successful build, and will keep notes in case its a useful new thread to post on tonymac. I think you are right - very close to the z490. I am going to only run stock - not overclocking at all - and just a single GPU etc. I hope its straightfwd and stable.

@d360000 Please report no matter how it goes!
You're very welcome to open a new thread for it, but posting here seems appropriate enough. The Z490 Vision G is already discussed alongside the Vision D, so why not the W480 Vision D?

Back