Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Some notes regarding Thunderbolt hot plug:
  • BIOS F5, F6 and F20 are recommended
  • BIOS -> Thunderbolt -> Thunderbolt Boot Support -> Boot Once is recommended
  • Some Thunderbolt devices such as Ethernet, Antelope Audio, etc. require AppleVTD to be enabled
  • IORegistryExplorer -> RP05 shows Thunderbolt configuration; check if devices UPSB, DSB0, DSB1, NHI0, DSB2, and DSB4 are present (do not use the ‘search’ feature of IOReg; simply scroll the device tree on left side)

Some notes regarding Thunderbolt hot plug:
  • BIOS F5, F6 and F20 are recommended
  • BIOS -> Thunderbolt -> Thunderbolt Boot Support -> Boot Once is recommended
  • Some Thunderbolt devices such as Ethernet, Antelope Audio, etc. require AppleVTD to be enabled
  • IORegistryExplorer -> RP05 shows Thunderbolt configuration; check if devices UPSB, DSB0, DSB1, NHI0, DSB2, and DSB4 are present (do not use the ‘search’ feature of IOReg; simply scroll the device tree on left side)
  • My BIOS is F5
  • Thunderbolt -> Boot Once is set in BIOS
  • AppleVTD is enabled - I tried disabling it using your method (DisableIOMapper Quirk, Add SSDT-DMAR.aml, Delete original DMAR in ACPI) and no change
  • Devices UPSB, DSB0, DSB1, NHI0, DSB2 and DSB4 are present
    Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 11.07.21.png

• My BIOS is F5
  • Thunderbolt -> Boot Once is set in BIOS
  • AppleVTD is enabled - I tried disabling it using your method (DisableIOMapper Quirk, Add SSDT-DMAR.aml, Delete original DMAR in ACPI) and no change
  • Devices UPSB, DSB0, DSB1, NHI0, DSB2 and DSB4 are presentView attachment 562839
Does a Thunderbolt Dock hot plug?

With IORegistryExplorer running and RP05 visible on screen, what happens when you hot plug a Thunderbolt device? Do any green colored items appear under DSB1 or DSB4?

Note that OpenCore itself does not affect Thunderbolt hot plug. Thunderbolt SSDT, BIOS settings, and AppleVTD are the driving factors.

Does a Thunderbolt Dock hot plug?

With IORegistryExplorer running and RP05 visible on screen, what happens when you hot plug a Thunderbolt device? Do any green colored items appear under DSB1 or DSB4?

Note that OpenCore itself does not affect Thunderbolt hot plug. Thunderbolt SSDT, BIOS settings, and AppleVTD are the driving factors.
I don’t have a Thunderbolt Dock to try with. Only my Sabrent NVMe Enclosure. The drive is recognised if plugged in before Boot. Once I eject it, I can’t reconnectit without a restart of the system.

Just tried your suggestion and no, no green items appear. The LED on the NVMe Enclosure itself is solid white, but the computer seems to see no connection at all. But if I restart my system, the drive shows up in IORegistryExplorer under DSB1:
Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 11.26.44.png

OpenCore was updated to 0.8.7 through the HackinDROM App, I downloaded a fresh copy of the Hot Plug SSDT from the HackinDROM website, my BIOS settings are correct, and AFAIK, AppleVTD is enabled properly (plus, I tried with it disabled). I tried resetting NVRAM in case that had something to do with it also, but still no luck.

I don’t have a Thunderbolt Dock to try with. Only my Sabrent NVMe Enclosure. The drive is recognised if plugged in before Boot. Once I eject it, I can’t reconnectit without a restart of the system.

Just tried your suggestion and no, no green items appear. The LED on the NVMe Enclosure itself is solid white, but the computer seems to see no connection at all. But if I restart my system, the drive shows up in IORegistryExplorer under DSB1:

OpenCore was updated to 0.8.7 through the HackinDROM App, I downloaded a fresh copy of the Hot Plug SSDT from the HackinDROM website, my BIOS settings are correct, and AFAIK, AppleVTD is enabled properly (plus, I tried with it disabled). I tried resetting NVRAM in case that had something to do with it also, but still no luck.
I'll boot up my Z490 Vision D later today, update it to OpenCore 0.8.8 (latest) and see if Thunderbolt hot plug works. Although my Z490 is running Ventura, I may still have a Big Sur installation handy.

If anyone is experiencing Thunderbolt hot plug problems on their Z490 Vision D, please let us know the following:
  • Which version of macOS?
  • Which version of BIOS?
  • The exact make and model of the Thunderbolt device

I'll boot up my Z490 Vision D later today, update it to OpenCore 0.8.8 (latest) and see if Thunderbolt hot plug works. Although my Z490 is running Ventura, I may still have a Big Sur installation handy.

If anyone is experiencing Thunderbolt hot plug problems on their Z490 Vision D, please let us know the following:
  • Which version of BIOS?

On my Z490 Vision D the on-board Thunderbolt controller is flashed. With Ventura 13.2 and OpenCore 0.8.7 (yes 0.8.7) there's no issue with Thunderbolt hot plug. The screenshot below shows my OWC 14-Port Thunderbolt Dock being disconnected (red) and hot-plugged (green).

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 6.13.13 AM.png

Someone with a non-flashed controller should check if Thunderbolt hot plug works in Big Sur, Monterey or Ventura.

• Which version of BIOS?
-VENTURA 13.2
-BIOS F21
-UAD TWIN X Thunderbolt 3

Hi,

I'm running into a very strange problem :
I flashed the bleu thunderbolt chip on the rear of a Gigabyte Z490 Vision D with a ch341a_spi programmer and Gigabyte-Vision-D-NVM-50-Elias64Fr-CaseySJ.bin. I made a backup of the original ROM.
I tried many versions of OpenCore, and many SSDT (DTGP + Z490TB3 on RP05) as well as many BIOS versions (F5 / F20 / F21 -> I even managed to flash the BIOS back to previous versions from F21 using the manufacturer Tft.efi version CSME System Tools v14.0.20+ r20), but it doesn't change anything.

Thunderbolt shows as : No UID (0x0000000000000000) / 0Gb/s Link speed / unknown_firmware_version etc.
Whatever ROM I use I get this non working Thunderbolt state. Reverting the Original backup doesn't change a thing. Disabling Thunderbolt in BIOS doesn't work either.
I flashed the ROM properly with flashrom (Homebrew installed) and even NeoProgrammer (on Windows with all options to erase and verify).

I tried on BigSur as well as Monterey.
I'm currently running :
• Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (rev1.0)
• BIOS F20
• Monterey 12.6.3

I'm not new to flashing Thunderbolt chips (already flashed an Alpine Ridge and 3 Titan Ridge Gigabyte add on cards) but I'm no expert as well...

Could it be that the chip is fried though it still accepts to be flashed and verify perfectly ?
Any ideas ? Also if someone has the original bin from the Z490 Vision D, I'd love to compare it with my backup.

All the IOreg & config file (OC 0.7.8) and files I used are in the zip attached to this post.
@CaseySJ : Would you be kind and checksum my backup ROM (OriginalFirmware-BlueChip.bin) against yours to see if it matches ?

System_Info.png

zip content :
Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 12.01.58.png

Thank you in advance,

Paul

Attachments

• Thunderbolt_Z490.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

View attachment 562841
Hot plug doesn't work anymore on Monterey (nor does it works on Z390 Designare).

Back