Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

Hi all,

does anyone else have massive problems with Lightroom Classic 12 on Ventura? It became unusable for me, just crashes all the time... I tried all the usual things, re-install, clear prefs and so on.

System is perfectly stable otherwise, everything works.

However, LR works fine on my MBP on the same Ventura....

OC 0.8.7

Cheers,
Kai

Hi,
I'm maybe planning to add a third NVMe for booting Linux. I was thinking about this one to go for a Gen 4:
(as it looks retro-compatible?) WD_BLACK SN850X

I already have 2x PNY CS3030 Gen 3 working fine with Windows 11 on first top slot and macOS Ventura on bottom slot.
Some questions:
Is there any problems with mixing Gen 3 and Gen 4 NVMe?
Is there any known problems with OpenCore/BIOS and Tri-Boot settings?

Cheers,

Last edited:
Hi,

I've been noticing some changes since Ventura, nothing related to hardware changes:
  1. When booting up, right before getting the macOS login screen, the screen would go black for a few seconds. Seems random. Not every time occurs and when it does, is not always for the same duration. Sometimes is long and very annoying.
  2. When restarting/shutting down, there's about a 50% chance that the system will "freeze" and not end the session. When it occurs there's not much I can do other than a "hard" button reset.
I'm wondering if this is hackintosh or more kind of macOS problem.
Thanks!

Hi,

I've been noticing some changes since Ventura, nothing related to hardware changes:
  1. When booting up, right before getting the macOS login screen, the screen would go black for a few seconds. Seems random. Not every time occurs and when it does, is not always for the same duration. Sometimes is long and very annoying.
  2. When restarting/shutting down, there's about a 50% chance that the system will "freeze" and not end the session. When it occurs there's not much I can do other than a "hard" button reset.
I'm wondering if this is hackintosh or more kind of macOS problem.
Thanks!
Since updating to OpenCore 0.8.7, I’ve had the black screen issue when logging in, too. It’s always done it to some extent, but usually just a couple of seconds. Now its a prolonged black screen, with the monitor actually going into power saving mode before springing back to life when the login screen finally appears.

@CaseySJ Hi there! I have just realised that my Windows 10 disk has an empty EFI folder, and, therefore, does not appear in OC picker, and, of course, cannot boot. What is the easier and quicker solution to restore that EFI folder apart from using the Windows 10 installation disk and the diskpart tool? I have a Windows 10 VM running on Ventura and was wondering if copying the content of the VM Windows 10 EFI partition to my Windows 10 SSD would do the trick.

@CaseySJ Hi there! I have just realised that my Windows 10 disk has an empty EFI folder, and, therefore, does not appear in OC picker, and, of course, cannot boot. What is the easier and quicker solution to restore that EFI folder apart from using the Windows 10 installation disk and the diskpart tool? I have a Windows 10 VM running on Ventura and was wondering if copying the content of the VM Windows 10 EFI partition to my Windows 10 SSD would do the trick.
I vaguely recall trying to copy an existing Windows EFI folder without success. But I think it’s still worth attempting. If it fails then the diskpart method can be used, which is a fairly painless method…

I vaguely recall trying to copy an existing Windows EFI folder without success. But I think it’s still worth attempting. If it fails then the diskpart method can be used, which is a fairly painless method…
Actually, I remembered that in one of my drawers I had the original hard disk drive that I used to clone on the SSD drive. I simply mounted it, copied the Windows EFI on the SSD, rebooted and the SSD appeared in the OC picker. HoweverM it did not boot from the OC picker but booted fine from the BIOS via F12. I have not investigated, yet, why it is not booting from OC. I was happy that it could boot and load Windows. Once booted in Windows, it reminded me how much I appreciate the macOS world. Took a whole afternoon to update the windows version to the latest one, system crashed many times, etc. Lucky, I only need Windows for Flight Simulator and nothing else. Thanks for the suggestion.

Did anyone ever figure out how to control the RGB on DIMM? I'm using the same G.Skill Trident Z. I saw some discussion awhile back and my search of this thread came up empty. I'm guessing the answer is no but thought I would ask to make sure.

Just updated to Monterey 12.6.2 from 12.6.1, and the Aquantia card is missing now. Also, I used hackindrom to go from 0.8.2 to 0.8.3, but did that before the update and the network card was working at that time.

What do I do to get the Aquantia back? Also, I have seen reference to OpenCore 0.8.7. Why is hackindrom saying I have the latest at 0.8.3? I updated to the latest version of hackindrom. I guess that's the latest official release?

Back