Contribute
Register

GIGABYTE Z490 VISION D + I9 10900K + 64GB Ballistix - in a Apple MacPro 1,1 CASE :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Hi,

i would like to introduce my new System. I had my first experience with Hackintosh about 2 years ago with an i7-4770 on an Asus Z87-A. An upgrade has now taken place with the following components:

CPU: Intel i9-10900K, 10-Core

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D, ATX

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 2x32GB 3200Mhz CL 16-18-18-36 V1,35 --> OC auf 3600Mhz CL 16-18-18-36 V1,37

Drives:
1.SSD: WD BLACK SN750 1TB M.2 NVME für MacOS
2.SSD: ADATA SN8200PRO 2TB M.2 NVME für Windows10 +
Disk-Drive: LG BD-Burner BH10LS38 SATA

Video Card: aktuell noch iGPU (Intel UHD 630)

WiFi/BT: Fenvi T919

Case: MacPro 1,1 Case Umbau

Lüfter: front 2x be quiet Pure Wings 2 120m, rear 1x Arctic P12

Power Supply: Seasonic Focus PX-650

Others: TV-SAT-card Technisat SkyStar 2 eXpress HD

The conversion of the case took quite a few hours of work, but I am now quite satisfied with the result. My goal was to preserve as much of the case as possible and ultimately of the original look. For example, the power supply unit and DVD / BR drive slot have been preserved in full function, 2x SATA ports can be used via the first two 3.5 "drive bays, the front fans are in the original fan slot and the CPU air duct has also been modified so that the Noctua has plenty of space. There were also front USB 3.1 and USB-C connections. To keep all PCIe CPU lanes for a graphics card, I relocated my PCIe Expansion cards with risers to PCIX1_1 and PCIEX4, so that they are connected via the chipset (the MacPro 1.1 housing only has 5 expansion card slots ... here I had to use tricks to get the original look).

Unfortunately, I am still missing a crucial component - the graphics card! Here I have the RX 6800XT in the ref. design in mind. But for this I have to be patient like many others here until this is available at reasonable prices.
UPDATE: In the meantime I have installed an AMD Radeon Pro W5500 :)

As a system I have Big Sur in the current version 11.1.

I still have the following problems and will tackle them in the next few days, I hope with your support:

- Audio via USB-C (Thunderbolt) and HDMI not available or not recognized - only analogue or digital via optical output on the mainboard.
- WiFi and BT via the Intel solution on the Gigabyte Vision D instead of the Fenvi for better performance and a tidy housing.

Here is a little video about the conversion :)

UPDATE April 18th 2021: In the meantime I have installed an AMD Radeon Pro W5500 :)

UPDATE MAI 28th 2021: I finally get it ... a RX 6900 XT :)

Attachments

• EFI_OC066 2.zip
    9.2 MB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Well done. I've heard that it's quite difficult to install a full size ATX board in the MP 1,1. You've made it look easy.
For help with the audio problem it would be helpful to post in the Vision D Golden Build thread by @CaseySJ.

Last edited:
@trs96
Thank you :) . It seems like my post is now in the correct forum.

After i installed the Ninja 5 i noticed that this cooler had some issues to handle the 10900k below 90°C.. therefore i checked the Noctua NH-U12A and the NH-D15S and get the best result with the NH-D15S. I have now around 10°C lower temps as before and i am now quite happy with the solution.

Regarding the ATX Board Installation, i used a Motherboard holding plate from an old cheap PC-Case and glued it in the MacPro case. i adjusted to have all 5 expansion slots accessible.

Attachments

• A6403733.jpg
    A6403733.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 383
  • A6403745.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 217
  • A6403767.jpg
    13 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG_4030.JPG
    IMG_4030.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 372
Nice build! Looks pretty clean too!

@IJskonijn
Thank you. Hopefully i will get a GPU soon, so i can finish the build and post an update here ;).

Very Cool. I just recently Gutted an old MacPro 1,1. However, I haven't bought the parts yet as I'm still determining what I will need to make things function. Searching the Forums has led me to many dead ends lol.

1) I'm still trying to figure out the front panel connections and the best way to work it. Many of the threads I've seen lack pictures (or the links are dead) and I can solder but not the best job in the world lol.
a) so car body adhesive the USB ports means we really aren't using the original front panel card for anything other than support right? Is there any concern as you're still powering the IO Board?

b) Could you discuss your IO Panel Harness a bit? (or link to post). I saw the harness on the video, but am unsure whether you just bought something or spliced wires.

2) Did you just remove the apple SATA connections and replace them with new ones as they don't look like the Apple OEM? or did you buy an SAS-SATA adapter like this one on

amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2PXGJL/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
or

NewEgg

Very Cool. I just recently Gutted an old MacPro 1,1. However, I haven't bought the parts yet as I'm still determining what I will need to make things function. Searching the Forums has led me to many dead ends lol.

1) I'm still trying to figure out the front panel connections and the best way to work it. Many of the threads I've seen lack pictures (or the links are dead) and I can solder but not the best job in the world lol.
a) so car body adhesive the USB ports means we really aren't using the original front panel card for anything other than support right? Is there any concern as you're still powering the IO Board?

b) Could you discuss your IO Panel Harness a bit? (or link to post). I saw the harness on the video, but am unsure whether you just bought something or spliced wires.

2) Did you just remove the apple SATA connections and replace them with new ones as they don't look like the Apple OEM? or did you buy an SAS-SATA adapter like this one on

amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C2PXGJL/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
or

NewEgg
Hi and thank you.

1) I use the front iO Board functions just for the power button/LED and the audio jack according to this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/wiring-the-power-button-mac-pro-2006.184381/

2) I use the original MacPro SATA cables and modified it by soldering the standard Sata connectors to it to connect it on the PC Motherboard. I also tried to use that SAS-SATA Adapter you mentioned but it doesn't work for me because both ends have the same mini SAS connector. type.

2) I use the original MacPro SATA cables and modified it by soldering the standard Sata connectors to it to connect it on the PC Motherboard. I also tried to use that SAS-SATA Adapter you mentioned but it doesn't work for me because both ends have the same mini SAS connector. type.

So i'm not sure what is what on the SAS cords. I labeled them on the picture for reference. #3 I believe should be the SATA connectors that need to be soldered as there appear to be 4 distinct wires for the 4 hard drives. I'm guessing you just have to guess which one belongs to which drive by trial and error.
#2 is the power I'm assuming and I was wondering if there was an adapter to molex for that.
#3 I'm not sure what it is (only one)....

Attachments

• IMG_3634.jpeg
    IMG_3634.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 202
So i'm not sure what is what on the SAS cords. I labeled them on the picture for reference. #3 I believe should be the SATA connectors that need to be soldered as there appear to be 4 distinct wires for the 4 hard drives. I'm guessing you just have to guess which one belongs to which drive by trial and error.
#2 is the power I'm assuming and I was wondering if there was an adapter to molex for that.
#3 I'm not sure what it is (only one)....
#3 its HDD thermal sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back