Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D (Thunderbolt 3) + i5-10400 + AMD RX 580

I think it's best to leave the CPU name as-is for now. On Mojave it was quite easy to change the name, but not so in Catalina. It would be best to wait until someone develops a reliable and safe procedure.

You're the first Vision D Hackintosh owner with i7-10700K. :) Congratulations! Please post GeekBench 5 and any other benchmarks...
This script works. Most likely need to rerun the script after updates. Open Terminal and drag it into window.

Attachments

• cpu_name.sh.zip
    964 bytes · Views: 199
This script works. Most likely need to rerun the script after updates. Open Terminal and drag it into window.
That's great! Did you create the script? I'd like to use it in the formal Vision D build guide.
  • cpu_name.sh with no parameters will query the CPU name from sysctl and apply it automatically
  • cpu_name.sh given_name will use the given_name
    • Example: cpu_name.sh "6-Core Intel i5-10400"
    • If the CPU name contains spaces, enclose the entire name in quotes as shown above
    • Do not specify GHz speed because that's added automatically
  • After running the script, close and reopen About this Mac. No need to reboot.
Before:
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 2.35.31 AM.png

After:
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 2.37.21 AM.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ
Interesting experience.
As I indicated earlier, We picked-up an i7-10700. I did the replacement of the 10400.

System boot attempts generated a five short beep bios code error.
Extensive idiot checks produced the same results.... beeps.

Boot was finally successful after reseting the Cmos.

Hi, I just put Comments into OpenCore config file. For all ACPIs and Kernel modules.
Helps in beginning for simple question: What is that? :) ...

@CaseySJ Thank you all for all that work, maybe help even this small part ...

Attachments

• config.comment.plist
    19.5 KB · Views: 195
@CaseySJ
Interesting experience.
As I indicated earlier, We picked-up an i7-10700. I did the replacement of the 10400.

5 beeps on a Gigabyte motherboard indicate a CPU error. Having changed the CPU the BIOS/UEFI will be expecting a specific CPU but couldn't find it. It would have been looking for a 10400 but couldn't find one, hence the error. You will always have to reset so that it rediscovers what is installed. The same often happens with a RAM change as well.

@CaseySJ
Interesting experience.

Good to know. Time to update your profile and/or signature? And where are those benchmarks? :)

Hi, I just put Comments into OpenCore config file. For all ACPIs and Kernel modules.
Helps in beginning for simple question: What is that? :) ...

@CaseySJ Thank you all for all that work, maybe help even this small part ...
Awesome, thanks! Will review and put into formal guide. Meanwhile please post some benchmarks. How/where did you find an i9-10900K?

I think it's best to leave the CPU name as-is for now. On Mojave it was quite easy to change the name, but not so in Catalina. It would be best to wait until someone develops a reliable and safe procedure.

You're the first Vision D Hackintosh owner with i7-10700K. :) Congratulations! Please post GeekBench 5 and any other benchmarks...
MY GEEKBENCH SCORE.
But my videoproc cannot recognize my RX 5700.
geek.jpg

I try this but failed
It shows:
cp: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/zh.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings: No such file or directory
Finished.

Last edited:
That's great! Did you create the script? I'd like to use it in the formal Vision D build guide.
  • cpu_name.sh with no parameters will query the CPU name from sysctl and apply it automatically
  • cpu_name.sh given_name will use the given_name
    • Example: cpu_name.sh "6-Core Intel i5-10400"
    • If the CPU name contains spaces, enclose the entire name in quotes as shown above
    • Do not specify GHz speed because that's added automatically
  • After running the script, close and reopen About this Mac. No need to reboot.
Before:
View attachment 472563
After:
View attachment 472564

It doesn't work on my system :( Nothing seems to work today, lol. See attached screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 14.40.35.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 14.40.35.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 236
Back