Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS
CPU
Core I7
Graphics
Glasses
Hi All,

I've been doing a lot of reading on these forums but I'm after some final confirmation before I pull the trigger and buy components.

My 8 year old Hackintosh with Pro Tools 10HD and TDM cards is due for an upgrade and I'll be moving to an Avid HD native thunderbolt interface.

The build I'm looking at is the following:

Gigabyte Z490 VISION D Motherboard

Intel Core i7 9700

MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor OC, 8GB

Gigabyte AORUS AP750GM 750W 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply

HyperX Fury RGB 32GB 3200MHz DDR4

be quiet! Shadow Rock 3 CPU Cooler

WD Black SN750 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD

SilverStone RM400 Black 4U Rackmount case

I'm basing it off this build: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-z490-vision-d-thunderbolt-3-i5-10400-amd-rx-580.298642/

Can anyone see any potential issues with this build?
If anyone has any specific experience with running later versions of Pro Tools on Hackintosh, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Ben

Aha! Thank you for that. Best replace that processor with an Intel Core i7 10700K

The rackmount case is really just a question of aesthetics - it means I can mount it in the rack with all the audio gear.
My current Hack is in a rackmount too - can't really see it but it's at the bottom left.

2019_10_24_Ben_Worsey_Everlandstudios_6G4A9286-edit.jpg

Hi All,

I've been doing a lot of reading on these forums but I'm after some final confirmation before I pull the trigger and buy components.

My 8 year old Hackintosh with Pro Tools 10HD and TDM cards is due for an upgrade and I'll be moving to an Avid HD native thunderbolt interface.

The build I'm looking at is the following:

Gigabyte Z490 VISION D Motherboard

Intel Core i7 9700

MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor OC, 8GB

Gigabyte AORUS AP750GM 750W 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply

HyperX Fury RGB 32GB 3200MHz DDR4

be quiet! Shadow Rock 3 CPU Cooler

WD Black SN750 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD

SilverStone RM400 Black 4U Rackmount case

I'm basing it off this build: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-z490-vision-d-thunderbolt-3-i5-10400-amd-rx-580.298642/

If anyone has any specific experience with running later versions of Pro Tools on Hackintosh, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Ben

The i7 9700 is not compatible with the Z490 Vision D. If you want to use this motherboard you need the new 10th generation Intel CPUs like the i7 10700.

Thank you for that. Best replace that processor with an Intel Core i7 10700K
If you read through the CaseySJ Z390 Designare golden build he's got lists of all the TH3 audio gear that works with these systems. Make sure to read through that before committing to this build. Also ask CaseySJ if it's possible to install Mojave on these new Z490 systems. I know that many audio pros have not upgraded to Catalina yet for various reasons so get a definite answer to that question.

If you read through the CaseySJ Z390 Designare golden build he's got lists of all the TH3 audio gear that works with these systems. Make sure to read through that before committing to this build. Also ask CaseySJ if it's possible to install Mojave on these new Z490 systems. I know that many audio pros have not upgraded to Catalina yet for various reasons so get a definite answer to that question.

Ok, thanks I will do that!

If you didn't see this yet, here's what Casey says about Mojave on Z490 as of June 21st, 2020.

We are currently unable to install Mojave on Z490 systems. This might change with the next release of OpenCore and perhaps even the next release of Clover. At this time, therefore, we cannot recommend Z490 for Mojave.

If you have already gathered Z390-based components, that is still a very good choice because Comet Lake-S processors really do not offer any material advantages over 9th Generation Coffee Lake. The additional two cores in the i9-10900 might be the only real benefit over Z390, but there are already so many satisfied i9-9900K users out there!

If you didn't see this yet, here's what Casey says about Mojave on Z490 as of June 21st, 2020.

Mmmm ok, thank you. The reason I had decided to go with the Z490 is that the Z390 is now impossible to find new here in Australia. But it does seem that Catalina is not an option for pro audio for the moment so it's back to the drawing board...

Cheers,
Ben

Avid is always a bit behind, ALERT: macOS Catalina 10.15.5 now supported with Pro Tools 2020.5 and later

If you do not update your OS until Avid updates Pro-Tools to be compatible then hardware should be no problem. Be advised that thunderbolt is not perfect and may require the use of an external flashing device to install a modified firmware to get the full implementation.

You could also consider a 2018/20 Mac Mini and get an external PCI-E enclosure for any cards. You can easily upgrade the memory in about 30 mins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back