GT 710
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi everyone,

i just bought some components for my new hack.

Gigabyte Z490 AORUS PRO AX
Intel I7 10700
Crucial P1 500 GB CT500P1SSD8 SSD
Nvidia Gtx 760 PALIT
Crucial Ballistix BL2K16G32C16U4B 3200 MHz,

I have a problem, I can't configure the Bios correctly (at least I think) because the installation of catalina hangs from the Apple logo.

With my old Gigabyte Mainborad Ga-Z68X-UD3H-B3 I followed the simple directions
Load Optimized Defaults
If your CPU supports VT-d, disable it
If your system has CFG-Lock, disable it
If your system has Secure Boot Mode, disable it
Set OS Type to Other OS
If your system has IO Serial Port, disable it
Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled
If you have a 6 series or x58 system with AWARD BIOS, disable USB 3.0

and everything always worked smoothly.

Can anyone tell me the exact bios configuration to apply?

Thanks

i've this in verbose mode

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 151
I'm in the same boat as you. I have a Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Xtreme motherboard fitted with an Intel i5-10400 and Nvidia 1060, and I'm having some difficulty getting it going.

Ok firstly there's a few things you need to know why you're getting the errors.
As far as we know, since the start of Mojave (and with onset of Catalina) the use of patches via bootloaders has somehow been restricted by Apple, which means that the use of likes of patch bootloaders like Clover Configurator as we used to use before, have now partly become ineffective overnight. Add to that the new Mojave/Catalina and Big Sur have added new memory protections in place (in the OS) and that has really set things up for us hackintoshers.

Which is why the community lately has started moving over to the new Opencore bootloader (if you've not heard already). Opencore is supposedly more technical than Clover, and harder to debug but is being adopted by the community because it is supposedly more stable (as the code is much similar to the underlying one used in macOS). If you have time, google and read up on this.

Also one thing to look out for, driver support for Nvidia cards pretty much ceased after High Sierra 10.13.6, as the Secure Boot function introduction prevented Nvidia's web drivers from working. So if you are looking to run Nvidia on Catalina you are treading on thin ground. Catalina has external (e)GPU support since 10.15.4 but I'm not sure what the state of play is at the moment with Nvidia on Catalina. At this point AMD cards up to Navi are a better bet.

Also not sure if you've noticed, but for the Z490, builds on Clover and even Opencore are pretty much scarce at the moment. Yes there have been successes - I have seen aside from the Tonymac site there are 3 other successful builds (including one with Clover on Catalina with the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D). There is also a Z490 High Sierra config as well on Opencore I found online - and I have tried it (it works - including full Thunderbolt) - but the settings leave much to be desired. Certain chunks in the config.plist for OC were missing so it made the OS partly unstable. As I have an NVidia Pascal card, getting it run it on High Sierra (for me) is highly desirable. But I may revisit it and see what I can come up with.

For the moment I would advise you two things. You can check out CaseySJ's build on the Z490 Vision D and Stork's new guide on his Thunderball II build. They are likely to give you the success you need on a working Z490 setup.

Hi everyone,

Intel I7 10700
Nvidia Gtx 760 PALIT

I have a problem, I can't configure the Bios correctly (at least I think) because the installation of catalina hangs from the Apple logo.

Load Optimized Defaults
Set OS Type to Other OS

Thanks
You are not going to succeed if you attempt to use a USB stick created by Unibeast, as the version of Clover included won't work with a Z490 system like yours.

Your system should be compatible with MacOS Catalina and Big Sur, but only with OpenCore (or Clover 5123 and later) as bootloader.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Xtreme motherboard fitted with an Intel i5-10400 and Nvidia 1060, and I'm having some difficulty getting it going.

Ok firstly there's a few things you need to know why you're getting the errors.
As far as we know, since the start of Mojave (and with onset of Catalina) the use of patches via bootloaders has somehow been restricted by Apple, which means that the use of likes of patch bootloaders like Clover Configurator as we used to use before, have now partly become ineffective overnight. Add to that the new Mojave/Catalina and Big Sur have added new memory protections in place (in the OS) and that has really set things up for us hackintoshers.

Which is why the community lately has started moving over to the new Opencore bootloader (if you've not heard already). Opencore is supposedly more technical than Clover, and harder to debug but is being adopted by the community because it is supposedly more stable (as the code is much similar to the underlying one used in macOS). If you have time, google and read up on this.

Also one thing to look out for, driver support for Nvidia cards pretty much ceased after High Sierra 10.13.6, as the Secure Boot function introduction prevented Nvidia's web drivers from working. So if you are looking to run Nvidia on Catalina you are treading on thin ground. Catalina has external (e)GPU support since 10.15.4 but I'm not sure what the state of play is at the moment with Nvidia on Catalina. At this point AMD cards up to Navi are a better bet.

Also not sure if you've noticed, but for the Z490, builds on Clover and even Opencore are pretty much scarce at the moment. Yes there have been successes - I have seen aside from the Tonymac site there are 3 other successful builds (including one with Clover on Catalina with the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D). There is also a Z490 High Sierra config as well on Opencore I found online - and I have tried it (it works - including full Thunderbolt) - but the settings leave much to be desired. Certain chunks in the config.plist for OC were missing so it made the OS partly unstable. As I have an NVidia Pascal card, getting it to run on High Sierra (for me) is highly desirable. But I may revisit it and see what I can come up with.

For the moment I would advise you two things. You can check out CaseySJ's build on the Z490 Vision D and Stork's new guide on his Thunderball II build. They are likely to give you the success you need on a working Z490 setup.
The GTX 760 that the OP uses is still natively supported on MacOS, and so should work.

A Z490 system running High Sierra on OpenCore? That's the first time I have heard of anything like that. If it actually works as you said, that will provide a way forward for older MacOS users who want to upgrade their hardware to Intel 10th generation.

Thanks and I can confirm yes it totally works! Look for 'Vectorseven' online. I just downloaded his EFI setup, put High Sierra on a stick and it booted straight in. The install was suprisingly rather painless, and most things did work. But it was just the OC config.plist that was missing sections which seemed to make a little unstable.

Yes indeed, I hadn't seen anything like it either...until I came across it recently and tested it out.
But it hadn't occurred to me that the older generation couldn't port over to the newer 10th gen systems.
I'm glad I've done something helpful for the community.

Well as I just said/replied in another post, I am currently working on a solution of High Sierra for the Z490. I really
wish to have the Nvidia Pascal support I am missing from the newer OSes and I don't really wish to install Catalina (unless I have to) hence I am doing this build. Hopefully it'll work and make us all a little happier.

Hi everyone,

Intel I7 10700
Nvidia Gtx 760 PALIT

Load Optimized Defaults
Set OS Type to Other OS

Thanks
Just do the normal stuff in bios.
The only thing I did, is to unplug manually the Wifi/blutooth card. As you can't disable it in bios.
And maybe use Opencore, if you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back