Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390M DS3H - Core i5 8400 - UHD630 (OC 0.8.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M-DS3H
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
UHD630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
1659093833018.png

Components (used)

Gigabyte Z370M-DS3H Motherboard (BIOS F14b)

Intel Core i5-8400 2.8GHz Coffee Lake Processor

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz Memory

Noctua NH-D9L CPU Cooler

Amazon UK

Components Used From Previous B75M-D3P Build (to be resurrected in another case)

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD - Boot Drive

Crucial MX500 1TB SSD - Media

Samsung 1TB HDD 7200rpm - Media

Seagate 2TB HDD 5900rpm - Media

Corsair CX430 PSU

Fractal Design Define Mini Case

Noctua NF-P12 redux 1300rpm PWM 120mm 4 Pin Fan x 3
Amazon UK

Fenvi T919 PCIe Wifi & Bluetooth Adaptor

AOC 2369M Display

Apple Wired USB Keyboard

Wired Mouse

Comments

Having used my first Hackintosh (B75M-D3P - i5-3570K) since 2012 and upgraded from Clover to Opencore over the years. I thought is was about time to create another that would be able to be upgraded to Monterey (and possibly further) without adding a dGPU as HD4000 is no longer supported past Big Sur. So I managed to source some second hand parts for a Coffee Lake build for less than a graphics card to update the B75M build. So for now the B75M has been retired but would like to find a way to keep it alive for something (cue future project with Mac Pro case at some point).

I wanted to try and stay without a dGPU for lower power consumption and noise - trying to go as silent for as cheap as I can, I think the hard drives or PSU are the limiting factor at the moment. From what I read UHD630 from the Coffee Lake processors was the way to go for not a lot of money.

System Definition - iMac19,1

ACPI:
SSDT-AWAC
SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP
SSDT-PLUG-DRTNIA

Kexts:
AppleALC
CtlnaAHCIPort
Lilu
NVMeFix
RealtekRTL8111
SMCProcessor
SMCSuperIO
USBMap
VirtualSMC
WhateverGreen
XHCI-unsupported

What Works:
- USB's at USB2 & USB3 speeds (thanks trs96 for reminding me about using Big Sur 11.2.3 or earlier to map USB ports)
- Sleep
- iServices
- Wifi
- HDMI (with some tweaks)
- Audio including HDMI

What Doesn't Work:
- USB3 ports at USB3 speeds
- DVI port has colour tint (despite frame buffer changes and port definition)

Once I had tested with a spare HDD the booting and setup of OpenCore I transferred the EFI to my current setup and replaced the motherboard etc so it was pretty seamless.

I now just need to sort the USB mapping and DVI port so I could run dual screens at some point.

USB Mapping:
- tried using USBInjectAll - shows all USB ports but only at USB2 speeds, one SS port shows up but is not shown to have anything plugged in.
- tried USBMap but again has the same issues, no SS ports.
- also looking in IOReg under XHC it only shows 1 SS port which does not show to have anything plugged in.
- now working, see attached USBMap kext

Video:
Had to do some iGPU patching to get things working better. Needed to change the profile of both the HDMI and DVI port from being recognised as Display ports.
DeviceProperties -> Add -> PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)
-> framebuffer-con1-enable -> 01000000
-> framebuffer-con2-enable -> 01000000
-> framebuffer-con1-type -> 00080000
-> framebuffer-con2-type -> 00020000
Also had to change the device id to get the tint removed from the HDMI (but did not work for the DVI)
-> AAPL,ig-platform-id -> 0000A53E
Based on my chipset device id being 0x3E92 which is natively supported and the recommended frame buffer showing a pink/purple tint.
WhateverGreen IntelHD

Config uploaded for reference (platform info removed)

1659103687378.png

Next steps are to try and find a workaround for the USB3 speeds, DVI working properly and upgrading to Monterey.

Also updated to Monterey without any issues straight form the software updater.

1659477628493.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    32.2 KB · Views: 87
  • USBMap.kext.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
If you use Big Sur 11.2 or older you can enable the XHCI port limit patch. That makes discovering and mapping all your USB ports quite easy. 11.3+ that patch is broken. Most people opt to install Catalina first then upgrade to BS or Monterey.

Thank you @trs96! I read the guide so many times but hadn't taken in the version of Big Sur I was running - USB3 speeds now fixed and all within the 15 port limit. USBMap kext for reference if needed added above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back