Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M GAMING Power issues (Sleep and issues with USB power)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For USB devices, all I have attached is a USB hub for my keyboard, and mouse (tried without the hub as well) and a generic DAC for my headphones. For PCI-e I have the following setup
x16 slot: AMD Radeon RX 580
2nd x1 slot: Intel i210 NIC
x4 slot: NVME card as to allow me to connect another SSD

EDIT: I'm running the F8 BIOS, and for some reason, I can no longer find the option to disable super I/O

Please try with the DAC unplugged and with ethernet cable unplugged from the Intel NIC. I've had NICs prevent sleep on my systems before. It would try to sleep and spring away within seconds.

Yes, BIOS F8 no longer has the disable super I/O function.

So I'm not sure what happened, but my system nearly got wrecked, and I fell back to my original clover configuration. The only thing I changed was my SMC kext (went from FakeSMC to VirtualSMC). Anyway, the NIC is the problem when it came to sleep. Once I disconnected my ethernet cable, the machine went to sleep without any issues.

So I'm not sure what happened, but my system nearly got wrecked, and I fell back to my original clover configuration. The only thing I changed was my SMC kext (went from FakeSMC to VirtualSMC). Anyway, the NIC is the problem when it came to sleep. Once I disconnected my ethernet cable, the machine went to sleep without any issues.

What do you mean wrecked?

Could not boot at all; I had to fall back onto using my clover USB drive.

Could not boot at all; I had to fall back onto using my clover USB drive.

I'm willing to put money on it being caused by Aptio fix and lack of NVRAM.

Negative to Aptio as that's what I fell back to using ... I'm not sure why my intel i210 is preventing sleep.

Negative to Aptio as that's what I fell back to using ... I'm not sure why my intel i210 is preventing sleep.

Believe what you like, but Aptio fix and lack of NVRAM is an issue on Z390.

Not sure why Z390 lacks NVRAM, but the EmuVariables driver works fine for that. As for the weird issues with USB power, I think I'm going to rewrite my SSDT.

Not sure why Z390 lacks NVRAM, but the EmuVariables driver works fine for that. As for the weird issues with USB power, I think I'm going to rewrite my SSDT.

Even between boots, there will be times where you can come across an Aptio fix issue that prevents booting. Usually, this can be fixed by just powering down and powering up again or even just a press of the reset button. The situation seems to be improved a bit on this motherboard with BIOS F8, but the issue hasn't been completely eliminated.

For USB, you can just use Hackintool to help you do the heavy lifting... Directions are here.

I spent some time earlier today reinstalling macOS 10.15.1, as well as rebuilding my USB ports kext. I think the issues I'm having with my yeti pro run much deeper and will probably require proper DSDT patching in order to solve. Unfortunately, I had to drop DVMT pre allocated memory on my iGPU to 32MB (if I did not, the dreaded cannot allocate runtime area error appears). Both AptioMemoryFix and OsxAptioFix3Drv work, but I'm not sure which is better. Standard sleep seems to be working now, but I don't know how long that'll last. I also had to add my iGPU platform ID to config.plist; if I did not, macOS would not detect the right platform. It defaulted to a UHD 655 with connectors instead of a UHD 630 running in headless mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back