Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

@pastrychef Here's where the damage occurred (I left some images below)

Oh. That should be easy. Just unscrew the base and replace with a "5GHz RP-SMA antenna".

Make sure the include "5GHz" in your search. There are some that are only 2.4GHz...

OpenCore EFI updated to version 0.8.2.

All kexts updated to latest release versions.

If you intend to upgrade to macOS Ventura, you must be on OpenCore 0.8.2 or higher.

Hello,
I'm trying to upgrade to Monterey straight from Catalina on this motherboard.
I've updated Clover (I've quickly tried to go OpenCore but I don't have much time to learn and understand the changes I have to make, so big fail here, went back to Clover...) to the last version. But I hit an error message at install: "a required firmware update could not be installed".
I read on this forum some users would change their SMBIOS as a workaround, mine is iMacPro1,1 atm.
I have literally no brain and the easiest solution is always where I go. Do you think this SMBIOS workaround would work, and if so, what should I set it to?

Hello,
I'm trying to upgrade to Monterey straight from Catalina on this motherboard.
I've updated Clover (I've quickly tried to go OpenCore but I don't have much time to learn and understand the changes I have to make, so big fail here, went back to Clover...) to the last version. But I hit an error message at install: "a required firmware update could not be installed".
I read on this forum some users would change their SMBIOS as a workaround, mine is iMacPro1,1 atm.
I have literally no brain and the easiest solution is always where I go. Do you think this SMBIOS workaround would work, and if so, what should I set it to?

Try the following:

1. Open your config.plist with the latest Clover Configurator.
  2. Click on "SMBIOS" on the left portion of the window.
  3. Copy your (1) Serial Number, (2) Board Serial Number, (3) SmUUID.
  4. Click on the the "up/down arrows" button and select iMacPro1,1.
  5. Paste back your (1) Serial Number, (2) Board Serial Number, (3) SmUUID.
  6. Save.
  7. Reboot.
  8. Try updating again.

LOL, so quick to answer! Thanks for that, and by the way thanks for your original post which helped me a lot getting my hackintosh to work neatly on catalina !

So, when I checked SMBIOS in my Clover Configurator, all those fields were blank. IDK if I should "generate new" ?

EDIT : OK maybe I shouldn't have but I generated new values for those... it didn't affect anything, good or bad, same error message after restart.

Last edited:
all those fields were blank
Monterey won't boot unless you've got at least an SmUUID in your config.plist. You should populate all the serials too.

LOL, so quick to answer! Thanks for that, and by the way thanks for your original post which helped me a lot getting my hackintosh to work neatly on catalina !

So, when I checked SMBIOS in my Clover Configurator, all those fields were blank. IDK if I should "generate new" ?

EDIT : OK maybe I shouldn't have but I generated new values for those... it didn't affect anything, good or bad, same error message after restart.

Don't just generate new... Click the following and select iMacPro1,1.

Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 8.48.17 AM.png

That's what I already did. However, I did it again to be sure, saved, rebooted, checked that everything was still there. Only thing that is blank now is "SMBIOS Version" field; IDK if that's relevant.
I re-launched the update from System preferences, computer reboots, then same error.

Attachments

• Sans titre.png
    Sans titre.png
    199.8 KB · Views: 25
That's what I already did. However, I did it again to be sure, saved, rebooted, checked that everything was still there. Only thing that is blank now is "SMBIOS Version" field; IDK if that's relevant.
I re-launched the update from System preferences, computer reboots, then same error.

Please try again with newest version of Clover Configurator.

Thanks for your time.
Clover Configurator 5.22.0.0 (btw i'm on Clover v5147), re-done all the same path, nothing new, same error message :(

I read about this error happening when trying to install on third party drives, couldn't that also be my problem ?
My SSD is a Western Digital... WDS100T2B0C M.2 1TB

Back