Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Chef would you briefly describe your process for updating Clover too? Do you like just take a sample EFI folder and replace with new kexts and your updated config.plist? Which of these would you use? Thanks for everything omg!

With Clover, I always get the .pkg and use Pacifist to extract the /BOOT/ folder, CLOVERX64.efi, and OpenRuntime.efi. Then, I replace the old versions on my existing EFI and test. For kexts, I just replace and test.

Clover doesn't make changes that affect config.plist as often as OpenCore, so it's much easier.

Hi folks,

I'm running Big Sur and OC 0.7.4, very stable since about last October which was when I last updated OC. I thought I'd try the OC 0.8.0 tonight.

Ran the EFI on a USB stick with the config.plist file updated with my serials (used Opencore configurator for the first time). However when it got to the Apple logo after the OC bootloader screen (selecting my Big Sur install), it crashed and went back to the Bios screen. I tried again, reset nvram, but no luck.

FYI, I'm still running BIOS F9g as it's been fine so far and I've not needed to go into Bios for 8 months as everything has been fine. The unlock thingy in bios was done before so that's not the issue.

No idea how 0.7.4 works flawlessly (as has ever previous OC version I've used, but 0.8.0 doesn't. I was going to update to Monterey, hence why I wanted to update to latest OC version first.

Any thoughts appreciated.

What do you see when you try installing with verbose mode enabled?

F9g should be fine as long as you disable CFG lock.

What do you see when you try installing with verbose mode enabled?

F9g should be fine as long as you disable CFG lock.
Thanks. How do I do that? I tried holding down CMD-V when I selected Big Sur on OC boot screen but it didn't work....maybe I did it too late?

Also, this appears on Gigabyte screen...
OCS: No schema for SerialInit at 5 index, context <Debug>!

Thanks. How do I do that? I tried holding down CMD-V when I selected Big Sur on OC boot screen but it didn't work....maybe I did it too late?

I managed to get verbose mode on when loading from OC 0.8.0.

This is what was on the screen when it wouldn't go any farther...

BTW, I tried 0.7.9 and despite a few errors on the Gigabite splash screen, it booted into Big Sur fine.

Attachments

• Verbose mode.jpg
    Verbose mode.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 33

Add "-v" (without the quotes) to boot-args.

I managed to get verbose mode on when loading from OC 0.8.0.

This is what was on the screen when it wouldn't go any farther...

BTW, I tried 0.7.9 and despite a few errors on the Gigabite splash screen, it booted into Big Sur fine.

Make sure config.plist > Misc > Security > SecureBootModel = "Default".

Make sure config.plist > Misc > Security > SecureBootModel = "Default".
Thanks.

I changed securebootmodel to Default, but still crashing. Attached are two screenshots of the boot, plus the config.plist file. Still getting the "OCS: No schema for SerialInit at 5 index, context <Debug>!" error on the Gigabite screen too.

All I have changed in the EFI folder is replace the USBPorts-with-Power kext with one for my setup.

Attachments

• config.plist
    42.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20220527_193810.jpg
    IMG_20220527_193810.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220527_193747.jpg
    IMG_20220527_193747.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 30
Thanks.

I changed securebootmodel to Default, but still crashing. Attached are two screenshots of the boot, plus the config.plist file. Still getting the "OCS: No schema for SerialInit at 5 index, context <Debug>!" error on the Gigabite screen too.

All I have changed in the EFI folder is replace the USBPorts-with-Power kext with one for my setup.

Your OCS error is caused by a missing <key></key> in your config.plist.

This can be because you have updated the OpenCore components you are using but haven't updated your config.plist to include any new and necessary variables. You can see the new structure in the sample.plist in the OC package.

The "SerialInit" key is present in the Misc/Debug section of config.plist :

SerialInit.jpg

As you can see, if there is no value to add then you can use <false/>

If you are using a manual editor you can copy the template. If you are using OpenCore Configurator then you have to match the version your are using with the OpenCore release.

:)

Last edited:
Your OCS error is caused by a missing <key></key> in your config.plist.

This can be because you have updated the OpenCore components you are using but haven't updated your config.plist to include any new and necessary variables. You can see the new structure in the sample.plist in the OC package.

The "SerialInit" key is present in the Misc/Debug section of config.plist :

View attachment 548506

As you can see, if there is no value to add then you can use </false>

If you are using a manual editor you can copy the template. If you are using OpenCore Configurator then you have to match the version your are using with the OpenCore release.

:)
Thanks UtterDisbelief,

I am getting the error that the config file is not the same version as the Opencore configurator. I downloaded a fresh version of the latest OC 0.8.0 from page 1 of this thread, changed the serials etc and tried again. Still got the same boot crash and OCS error on gigabyte screen. Here is the latest version of the config file. Editing with Propertree.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• config.plist
    41.9 KB · Views: 33
Thanks UtterDisbelief,

I am getting the error that the config file is not the same version as the Opencore configurator. I downloaded a fresh version of the latest OC 0.8.0 from page 1 of this thread, changed the serials etc and tried again. Still got the same boot crash and OCS error on gigabyte screen. Here is the latest version of the config file. Editing with Propertree.

Thanks for your help.

Try not opening the config.plist with OpenCore Configurator and just using the EFI as-is without your serial, board serial, or UUID.

Also try redoing your macOS installer USB flash drive.

Back