Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Happy Christmas to all. I have taken the plunge, and my M1 Mac Mini arrives in 2 days. Much gratitude to all at this site for all the help over the years but particularly @pastrychef - I based my build on yours and this thread of yours has been invaluable to me, and I know many others. It is with sadness that I am now breaking my hackintosh to sell the parts, how will I fill my time without obsessing over getting the smallest glitch fixed because obviously that will never happen with my new hardware :lolno:

@pastrychef: I bought my wife a shiny new iPad for Christmas and I went to plug it into my Hackintosh via the Type C port (since the new iPads are bundled with Lightning-to-type-c cables) and while it passes power it does not appear to be useful for data transfer. I had it working prior to my re-installation + upgrade to Monterey, but now it isn't. I see in your first post that the USB port limit is taken care of via your kexts, but wanted to know if you have had any issues with the type c port simply not working?

When I first got Catalina running I don't recall having an issue with the type c port OOB. Obviously no rush! Thanks, and merry Christmas!

Happy Christmas to all. I have taken the plunge, and my M1 Mac Mini arrives in 2 days. Much gratitude to all at this site for all the help over the years but particularly @pastrychef - I based my build on yours and this thread of yours has been invaluable to me, and I know many others. It is with sadness that I am now breaking my hackintosh to sell the parts, how will I fill my time without obsessing over getting the smallest glitch fixed because obviously that will never happen with my new hardware :lolno:

I'm also looking forward to a Mac Mini if/when Apple updates it with an M1 Pro/Max.

@pastrychef: I bought my wife a shiny new iPad for Christmas and I went to plug it into my Hackintosh via the Type C port (since the new iPads are bundled with Lightning-to-type-c cables) and while it passes power it does not appear to be useful for data transfer. I had it working prior to my re-installation + upgrade to Monterey, but now it isn't. I see in your first post that the USB port limit is taken care of via your kexts, but wanted to know if you have had any issues with the type c port simply not working?

When I first got Catalina running I don't recall having an issue with the type c port OOB. Obviously no rush! Thanks, and merry Christmas!

USB 2 compatibility was sacrificed on the USB 3.1 gen 2 ports because I hit the port limit. I don't know if the iPad requires that or not...

I'm also looking forward to a Mac Mini if/when Apple updates it with an M1 Pro/Max.

Agreed. I was sad to see the limited bandwidth of the M1 resulted in only a few I/O ports. I'm definitely keeping my eyes on the rumored Mac Mini refresh early next year in the hopes they do it right same as the new MBPs.

USB 2 compatibility was sacrificed on the USB 3.1 gen 2 ports because I hit the port limit. I don't know if the iPad requires that or not...

I tried plugging in her old 5th gen iPad as well and it never showed up in the Finder sidebar. It's like the port is only recognized for power delivery instead of data transfer.

Agreed. I was sad to see the limited bandwidth of the M1 resulted in only a few I/O ports. I'm definitely keeping my eyes on the rumored Mac Mini refresh early next year in the hopes they do it right same as the new MBPs.

I tried plugging in her old 5th gen iPad as well and it never showed up in the Finder sidebar. It's like the port is only recognized for power delivery instead of data transfer.

I'm more concerned with more RAM with the M1 Pro/Max. I think 16GB is too little nowadays.

It probably needs USB 2 compatibility. You can edit the USBPorts.kext. Disable two other ports and enable USB 2 on the USB 3.1 gen 2 ports.

I'm more concerned with more RAM with the M1 Pro/Max. I think 16GB is too little nowadays.

Agreed. 16GB is bare minimum these days. The larger SoC footprint means more RAM, more bandwidth, more I/O. The M1 was a valiant first offering, but you knew the subsequent generation was going to make certain leaps.

matrix-new-year-12161313.jpg

I always wanted to move to OpenCore on my old Catalina box. But I took the plunge using your (and others participants in this thread) information and collected links to move to the latest Montery build on my Z390 M Gaming.
Install went smooth as never before in any of my older builds... Copy paste and go!

My Z390 only has an internal GFX chip, that worked out of the box when selecting the card as primary in the BIOS.

Thanks and a happy new year indeed.

Happy new year guys! After a long time, I'm back for help! lol
Yesterday I decided to update my Big Sur to the latest big Big Sur there is, and it worked. But, after booting up I had no USB working anymore. I have found something here about that problem. But it did not work for me. I don't know what am I doing wrong but I can't fix it.

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • EFI.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
Back