Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Whelp, I may have bit off more than I can chew thinking it'd be an easy fix.

I successfully updated from Catalina to Big Sur and this time I did not have any issues with AppleID and Messages. I did, however, have a problem with space as it seems Big Sur was installed as a separate partition, resulting in a Catalina-looking partition different than the partition that seemed to be running Big Sur.

I decided to just wipe the entire 970 clean and start from scratch...except now I can't boot into either of my USB installers (Catalina / Big Sur). I just get the lovely white ban icon about 2/3 of the way through the initial loader.

I get an error on POST chirping about an unknown definition of 'iMac Pro 19,1' in dict '/SMBIOS/ProductName:605'...did I screw this up because I did not clear out the SMBIOS data before attempting a clean install?

I have a picture of the full POST error, and I have screen shots of my Clover configuration pages before I wiped the entire 970 if those will help in any way.

I may have answered my own question. Thankfully I still have access to an MBP and I simply overwrote the EFI directory with your most recent Clover EFI zip and it appears to be installing Big Sur. Here's hoping she works!

Whelp, I may have bit off more than I can chew thinking it'd be an easy fix.

I successfully updated from Catalina to Big Sur and this time I did not have any issues with AppleID and Messages. I did, however, have a problem with space as it seems Big Sur was installed as a separate partition, resulting in a Catalina-looking partition different than the partition that seemed to be running Big Sur.

I decided to just wipe the entire 970 clean and start from scratch...except now I can't boot into either of my USB installers (Catalina / Big Sur). I just get the lovely white ban icon about 2/3 of the way through the initial loader.

I get an error on POST chirping about an unknown definition of 'iMac Pro 19,1' in dict '/SMBIOS/ProductName:605'...did I screw this up because I did not clear out the SMBIOS data before attempting a clean install?

I have a picture of the full POST error, and I have screen shots of my Clover configuration pages before I wiped the entire 970 if those will help in any way.

With APFS drives, you will see a main system partition (i.e. "Macintosh HD") and a separate partition named something like "Macintosh HD - Data". This is normal. No need to do a clean install.

With APFS drives, you will see a main system partition (i.e. "Macintosh HD") and a separate partition named something like "Macintosh HD - Data". This is normal. No need to do a clean install.

I had two sets of those: one was Catalina / Catalina - Data and the other was Samsung 970 EVO SSD / Samsung 970 EVO SSD - Data.

It was odd, but I'm guessing it's a residual effect of my aborted attempt to update to Big Sur months ago and then reverting back to Catalina using CCC.

The annoying thing now is that Messages is borked again in that I can't communicate with any other Apple devices (except my wife's iPhone). Either the contact shows red, or any attempted message fails.

The other weird thing is that, under System Preferences > AppleID the computer is listed as My iMac Pro 27" even though the system definition in the Clover SMBIOS is iMac19,1 and the Family is iMac. I also have limited options when I highlight the device in AppleID sidebar (no 'Find My Mac' or 'View on web'). I had to delete a second instance of an iMac Pro 27" in the list of devices, and now I'm wondering if I removed the valid device? Is there a way to reset this?

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 3.35.29 PM.jpg

Last edited:
The annoying thing now is that Messages is borked again in that I can't communicate with any other Apple devices (except my wife's iPhone). Either the contact shows red, or any attempted message fails.

The other weird thing is that, under System Preferences > AppleID the computer is listed as My iMac Pro 27" even though the system definition in the Clover SMBIOS is iMac19,1 and the Family is iMac. I also have limited options when I highlight the device in AppleID sidebar (no 'Find My Mac' or 'View on web'). I had to delete a second instance of an iMac Pro 27" in the list of devices, and now I'm wondering if I removed the valid device? Is there a way to reset this?

View attachment 537354

Make sure you generate Serial, Board Serial, and UUID for whatever system definition you decide to use. To delete devices on your Apple ID account:
On iPhone, go to Settings > (your name) and scroll down to pick the devices you want to delete.
On your hackintosh, go to System Preferences > Apple ID and select the devices you want to delete.

Make sure you generate Serial, Board Serial, and UUID for whatever system definition you decide to use. To delete devices on your Apple ID account:
On iPhone, go to Settings > (your name) and scroll down to pick the devices you want to delete.
On your hackintosh, go to System Preferences > Apple ID and select the devices you want to delete.

...ohhh. I did not regenerate my system info, rather I duplicated it from the instance of Big Sur before the clean install. Let me regenerate all that info, and then hopefully I'll be able to delete what is my current (broken) device listing.

Thanks!

So after copying the EFI folder from the USB to the main install drive, Clover will not generate a serial number. I click into the Serial Number input field and click Generate New but nothing happens. I can generate an SmUUID by clicking Generate New.

Never mind...found the dropdown menu I'm supposed to use for selecting the Product Name, which then populates the necessary information. :banghead:

Last edited:
I have 4 - 8GB sticks of DDR 3200MHz corsair RGB RAM. It looks like 2 of the sticks are hynix and 2 are samsung memory modules. What are the chances I could bump these up to 3600MHz? If it doesn't work, am I looking at resetting the CMOS and reloading my last working settings to get up and running again?

I have 4 - 8GB sticks of DDR 3200MHz corsair RGB RAM. It looks like 2 of the sticks are hynix and 2 are samsung memory modules. What are the chances I could bump these up to 3600MHz? If it doesn't work, am I looking at resetting the CMOS and reloading my last working settings to get up and running again?

Messing with RAM timings is complicated... You have nothing to lose by trying. You probably don't need to clear CMOS if you can get back in to BIOS, just go back to previous settings.

Back