Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

@ngc7789 : I also did the fresh install and migration assistant. I just seemed easier this way rather than to learn how to use CCC to make a bootable clone of Big sur/Monterey (although that's something I need to do...). I had the cloner strategy down as plan B in case the fresh install didn't work properly.

The only thing that didn't migrate properly were the folder icons for the Adobe Creative Cloud suite. If you have these applications, they reside in your Applications folder, and they custom folder icons that have "Ps" "LrC" "Ai" etc, in special colors. After the migration, they were there, but in generic folder icons. Functionally, the programs all worked, but it bugged me.

I simply uninstalled then reinstalled the applications.
That's very helpful. I do use those apps. I also have CCC and am pretty familiar with it but hearing that migration assistant is so smooth I will go that way. It's been a long time since I've done a clean install so might as well do that now.

That's very helpful. I do use those apps. I also have CCC and am pretty familiar with it but hearing that migration assistant is so smooth I will go that way. It's been a long time since I've done a clean install so might as well do that now.
I received my SN750 today, put it in slot “P”, installed Big Sur and migrated data from my 970 EVO in slot “Q”. All of this went without a hitch. But then I noticed none of my SATA drives (both SSD and HDD) were visible even in BIOS. I knew I would loose SATA port 0 (nothing is plugged in there) with both P and Q M2 drives loaded but I didn’t expect to loose them all. So I removed the 970 EVO altogether and put the SN750 into Q and all the SATA drives appeared. Anyone have any idea why this behavior is happening? I was hoping to repurpose the 970 EVO as a Windows or Linux boot drive.

I received my SN750 today, put it in slot “P”, installed Big Sur and migrated data from my 970 EVO in slot “Q”. All of this went without a hitch. But then I noticed none of my SATA drives (both SSD and HDD) were visible even in BIOS. I knew I would loose SATA port 0 (nothing is plugged in there) with both P and Q M2 drives loaded but I didn’t expect to loose them all. So I removed the 970 EVO altogether and put the SN750 into Q and all the SATA drives appeared. Anyone have any idea why this behavior is happening? I was hoping to repurpose the 970 EVO as a Windows or Linux boot drive.

Try resetting the CMOS and see if the problem persists. Make sure you save your BIOS settings as a profile and reload them after the CMOS reset!

That's weird... I have both NVMe slots populated and five SATA drives connected and all work fine.

That's weird... I have both NVMe slots populated and five SATA drives connected and all work fine.

I was having some weirdness with my Windows NVMe. I tried cloning over my existing Windows 10 NVMe then updating to Windows 11. It would be fine for the first boot, but for all the subsequent boots, the option for Windows 11 drive wouldn't show up. I tried resetting the CMOS and everything.

Finally, I threw in the towel and did a fresh install of Windows 11 and now it works fine. I think the way Windows 11 does the UEFI is supposed to be different but I haven't bothered to drill into this.

I got around to trying to troubleshoot this. I put my 970 EVO into slot P with my SN750 still in slot Q. I expected to have to do a bunch of CMOS resets and other tedious things but instead everything just worked. I can't really explain it except maybe with the time with only one NVMe drive install somehow BIOS figured stuff out so when I added the second one back in all was well. Who knows. Probably will never know for sure.

Now the 970 EVO is humming along as my Linux boot drive and PixInsight (which is primarily what I use Linux for) is loving having the MUCH faster scratch disk.

Thanks all!

Clover EFI updated to r5142.

Clover EFI updated to r5142.
Hello, I've been trying to update to the the latest update, and every time I go through the installation process the computer just restarts and tries again. I'm not sure what the problem is but I've tried everything I can. Please help. I appreciate all that you do!

Hello, I've been trying to update to the the latest update, and every time I go through the installation process the computer just restarts and tries again. I'm not sure what the problem is but I've tried everything I can. Please help. I appreciate all that you do!

What version of BIOS are you using? Did you disable CFG Lock?

Also, please try with OpenCore EFI.

What version of BIOS are you using? Did you disable CFG Lock?

Also, please try with OpenCore EFI.
I'm using 9l for BIOS, CFG is disabled, and for OpenCore it just stays on the Apple logo with no bar under the whole time. I tried resetting NVRAM and trying to run partition, but nothing. This is what it stops at

Attachments

• tempImagewpThaC.png
    tempImagewpThaC.png
    9.3 MB · Views: 32
Back