Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

@scottkendall, the problem was starting with 11.4. Until 11.3 it‘s all good and it’s also working on Monterey. So I don't think, it's not a (software) config problem.

I read also from others, that they had the same problems. Maybe it's related to the Samsung EVO 970, which is also used in the system. It maybe a incompatibility with exactly this combination (Titan Ridge card + Samsung EVO 970).
I thought that could be it. I even exchanged my Samsung 970 Evo for an XPG S11 Pro. But it gave me a problem again, until there came a time when it affected windows and the motherboard to stop, making me buy other hardware and go to Gigabyte Z590M Gaming X + i9 10900.
But I managed to revive the old motherboard, and I plan to put it on my old PowerMac G5.
Taking advantage of what I saw in your signature, who did this, would you have photos?

Those of you with the IONVMeFamily kernel panic:

What version of BIOS are you on? I'm on F9l and have never seen that panic. I had a Samsung 970 EVO (non-Plus) installed for a long time and switched to a Western Digital SN750 Black about two months back. Neither ever had problems.

Those of you with the IONVMeFamily kernel panic:

What version of BIOS are you on? I'm on F9l and have never seen that panic. I had a Samsung 970 EVO (non-Plus) installed for a long time and switched to a Western Digital SN750 Black about two months back. Neither ever had problems.
So I'm on F9m, did you go back to F9l?
A while ago I followed your thread, I had commented on F9m, but I don't remember if you even updated or not.

I am on F9m as well, and have one old Samsung SSD installed that is used for media and is not a system drive. I have a western digital black NVMe drive for Mojave and an a PNY SSD that I am using to test out Big Sur.

So I'm on F9m, did you go back to F9l?
A while ago I followed your thread, I had commented on F9m, but I don't remember if you even updated or not.

I never personally tried F9m. F9l has worked so well that I've been afraid to change because I had RAM stabilities issues with some older versions of BIOS.

Edit:
Attached F9l for those who want to try...

Attachments

• Z390MGAMING.F9l.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 48
I never personally tried F9m. F9l has worked so well that I've been afraid to change because I had RAM stabilities issues with some older versions of BIOS.

Edit:
Attached F9l for those who want to try...
I even used it when it updated, but or go back to F9l, but first I need to wait for the new Power Supply, to be able to mount this motherboard and make the update.

@scottkendall, the problem was starting with 11.4. Until 11.3 it‘s all good and it’s also working on Monterey. So I don't think, it's not a (software) config problem.

I read also from others, that they had the same problems. Maybe it's related to the Samsung EVO 970, which is also used in the system. It maybe a incompatibility with exactly this combination (Titan Ridge card + Samsung EVO 970).
I had a 970 evo plus until a few weeks ago when I replaced it with a larger WD drive. Maybe it has to do with my card having a modified firmware and that I do not use the TB C header.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 1.37.43 PM.png

Approx 25 minutes later...

Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 2.05.42 PM.png

Hmmm, maybe related to the F9m firmware. I don't want to roll back though. Such a pain to reconfigure everything. As long as Monterey works ok, I'll just punt on installing Big Sur.

Hmmm, maybe related to the F9m firmware. I don't want to roll back though. Such a pain to reconfigure everything. As long as Monterey works ok, I'll just punt on installing Big Sur.
For what it's worth I've been running F9m since it came out with no issues. Of course I don't have a Titan card so maybe it's irrelevant. I do have a EVO 970 though.

Back