Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

About "Login Items", I only have 3, but the question of enabling "Reopen windows when logging in again" I'm leaving active, which in this case opens Whatsapp Desktop, Chrome with 22 open tabs, iStatistica Pro open and Parallels with Windows 10 Pro VM at rest.
So in this case it has nothing to do with having the HDDs connected, as a colleague of mine said that when he disconnected his HDDs the NVMe boot was much faster.

I don't know how much having hard drives connected contributes to boot times. On my system, I have 3x3.5" drives and 2x2.5" SSDs.

I am currently reinstalling with my outdated but working EFI.

I cannot boot into the installation drive with the latest EFI. I tried Clover and Opencore. Here is the screen I get with Open Core :

Do you have CFG Lock disabled?

Do you have BIOS set to UEFI only? CSM disabled?

Which version of macOS are you installing?

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 4.36.42 PM.png

~22 minutes and three reboots later...

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 5.00.38 PM.png

Currently have a MacBook Pro 2011 and trying to use Target Disk mode on it (Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps) while connecting a Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m). So far, nothing is detecting on this build even though the Thunderbolt 3 10G Ethernet Adapter is working fine. Any ideas?
As far as I know Targeted disk mode only works if you have a Thunderbolt 3 card that has a modified firmware, similarly to the TB3 <=> TB3 network connections only work if the firmware has been modified. Think of the default card being set in basic mode while the modified one is set in advanced mode. Also, keep in mind that the hack can not be the target.

Last edited:
Do you have CFG Lock disabled?

Do you have BIOS set to UEFI only? CSM disabled?

Which version of macOS are you installing?
Apparently my BIOS version is F9j, which is weird since I remember using a beta version, F9k I think. Maybe it went back to the backup BIOS. I will update it and let you know what happens.

Apparently my BIOS version is F9j, which is weird since I remember using a beta version, F9k I think. Maybe it went back to the backup BIOS. I will update it and let you know what happens.

F9l (what I'm currently using) and F9m work better than the beta firmwares.

As far as I know Targeted disk mode only works if you have a Thunderbolt 3 card that has a modified firmware, similarly to the TB3 <=> TB3 network connections only work if the firmware has been modified. Think of the default card being set in basic mode while the modified one is set in advanced mode. Also, keep in mind that the hack can not be the target.
Thank you for the updated info! The anology of “simple” to “advanced” mode with firmware makes total sense! I skimmed through that designare forum but there is a mixed results of posts that appear cluttered. Any recommended post I can follow that has worked for you?

Thank you for the updated info! The anology of “simple” to “advanced” mode with firmware makes total sense! I skimmed through that designare forum but there is a mixed results of posts that appear cluttered. Any recommended post I can follow that has worked for you?
To Flash Use this guide:

To create your SSDT/DROM use this guide:

This approach may be easier to create your SSDT/DROM.

NEW!! Using HackinDROM to Create Thunderbolt SSDT with Custom DROM

Although the SSDT in @pastrychef's EFI will also work fine.

For firmware, I tried both the Titan Ridge 1.0, GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin, and the Gigabyte Designare Z390, DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin. I had much better results with my Apple Thunderbolt Display with the Designare version.

Firmware can be found here.

Repository of Patched Thunderbolt Firmware Files

This approach may be easier to create your SSDT/DROM.

NEW!! Using HackinDROM to Create Thunderbolt SSDT with Custom DROM

Although the SSDT in @pastrychef's EFI will also work fine.

For firmware, I tried both the Titan Ridge 1.0, GC-TITAN-RIDGE-NVM23-Elias64Fr.bin, and the Gigabyte Designare Z390, DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin. I had much better results with my Apple Thunderbolt Display with the Designare version.

Firmware can be found here.

Repository of Patched Thunderbolt Firmware Files
This is great intel! Appreciate the quick responses for the community! Been living without a modded Titan Ridge card until now but the benefits to have Thunderbolt are worthwhile considering how much more devices continue to use it and the roadblocks I have been hit with.

In essence, the EFI that Pastrychef has provided should be sufficient enough for the thunderbolt which means I simply need to mod the Titan card firmware following the SPI flash post instructions. I have had some experience flashing with SPI in the past when soldering 8 pins from a Prius 2004-2009 odometer cluster board and programing the mileage to correct spec by modifying hex digits for replaced dashboards. It literally follows the same similar protocol with 3.3v and 5v scenarios.

Used "HiLetgo 51 Microcontroller Programmer SP200SE USB Burner Support AT89C52 24C02 93C46 300 Variety of Chips" from amazon as well as "AiTrip CH341A 24 25 Series EEPROM Flash BIOS USB Programmer + SOIC8 SOP8 Clip Adapter Module".

This is truly the Hackintosh community when you go about "hacking" the hardware and tinkering with stuff :D

Back