Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Thanks! I got HS installed using iGPU but after trying 1050 with nv_ disable=1 and deleting platform-id I’m met with

That looks like a USB error. Try different USB ports. Apply the 15 port limit fix.

That looks like a USB error. Try different USB ports. Apply the 15 port limit fix.
This was booting off ssd, the only USB was mouse and kb. I thought we didn’t need usbports kext for earlier macOS like High Sierra? I did remove that kext, and booted OK without it with iGPU.

This was booting off ssd, the only USB was mouse and kb. I thought we didn’t need usbports kext for earlier macOS like High Sierra? I did remove that kext, and booted OK without it with iGPU.

Just going by what it says:
78127D2B-0380-4E7E-8AB8-5BF016840027.jpeg

All versions of macOS had the 15 port limit, as far as I know. It's just that most didn't address it in the old days.

Just going by what it says:
View attachment 510574

All versions of macOS had the 15 port limit, as far as I know. It's just that most didn't address it in the old days.
Right on. I’ve put the USBPorts kext back in. I did install the Nvidia web drivers and was still able to boot the HS with just iGPU while having web drivers installed. But it’s still not booting with the 1050, with or without the nv_disable flag. It’s hanging a little earlier, this is with nv_disable=1 here.

Edit: When I boot with iGPU (and without nv_disable flag) I noticed there are just two more lines of code (similar to those above that final line about Mausi) before finishing verbose boot

Edit 2: On another iGPU boot the Mausi line was the last before completion, and it does semi-hang there for 50 seconds. Maybe I need to let the 1050 boot hang for a long time? I waited like 20 minutes and it seems to just hang and not boot.

Attachments

• C8FDE59C-7413-42F3-9AD4-7D4D3CA65B02.jpeg
    C8FDE59C-7413-42F3-9AD4-7D4D3CA65B02.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Right on. I’ve put the USBPorts kext back in. I did install the Nvidia web drivers and was still able to boot the HS with just iGPU while having web drivers installed. But it’s still not booting with the 1050, with or without the nv_disable flag. It’s hanging a little earlier, this is with nv_disable=1 here.

Edit: When I boot with iGPU (and without nv_disable flag) I noticed there are just two more lines of code (similar to those above that final line about Mausi) before finishing verbose boot

Edit 2: On another iGPU boot the Mausi line was the last before completion, and it does semi-hang there for 50 seconds. Maybe I need to let the 1050 boot hang for a long time? I waited like 20 minutes and it seems to just hang and not boot.

Looks like it's a graphics issue. gIOScreenLockState 3. I don't remember what I had to do to get the Nvidia web drivers installed... I pretty much wiped that traumatic experience from my mind...

Looks like it's a graphics issue. gIOScreenLockState 3. I don't remember what I had to do to get the Nvidia web drivers installed... I pretty much wiped that traumatic experience from my mind...
Lol I hear you, I actually couldn’t find web driver for the exact HS build, but I got the driver for the version prior. I think maybe Apple updated one version past the last available one; maybe that’s the hang up. Thanks for all the help, Chef!

Last edited:
LOL! I hear you. I actually couldn’t find web driver for the exact HS build, but I got the driver for the version prior. I think maybe Apple updated one version past the last available one; maybe that’s the hang up. Thanks for all the help, Chef!

There were ways to make the Nvidia web drivers skip the version check. Just search around. It was a very common workaround when Nvidia was late to release web drivers for a new macOS release.

There were ways to make the Nvidia web drivers skip the version check. Just search around. It was a very common workaround when Nvidia was late to release web drivers for a new macOS release.
Yeah, I found a script on this site https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-update-simple-way-to-install-nvidia-web-drivers.244987/ to install them, I used what seemed to be most recent available, and they did install but that boot won’t work with the 1050. Do you know if I could somehow grab an older HS version?

@pastrychef Hey there, first time poster / hackintosher, used this guide and specifically the EFI from this post for Catalina 10.15.5+ for an iGPU-only build with the hardware specs you used (except for chip model and lack of discrete GPU):
#1,360
Upgraded BIOS and installed using the instructions in Post #1, dropped in this EFI folder, and it "just worked" 1st time, zero issues. Everything has been working awesome for going on over 6 mo now! Cannot tell you how helpful this has been to use a powerful, quiet work machine so wanted to say a huge thank you :D

I'm currently running 10.15.6, and need to upgrade to Big Sur. Is there an updated iGPU-only Clover EFI folder you have on hand that I can use as a drop-in replacement before I upgrade? Or would it be a simple edit of my plist / save and reboot? And would these instructions be sufficient to prep for the upgrade?

A couple other newb questions if you don't mind:
- Can I backup my complete install disk the usual Mac route of SuperDuper or the like?
- To upgrade to one of the navi cards down the line, what changes do I need in my plist? I saw the PciRoot value I delete out when upgrading, anything to add?

Thank you again for your submission and help!

Last edited:
Back