Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Catalina has been running stable on this build for many months now, and Opencore updated to 0.6.4.

I'd like to install Big Sur on a different SSD so to keep my Catalina build, incase anything goes wrong as I need this machine for work....I presume this is straightforward?

I assume I follow instructions in post #1 under
Create Your USB Installer And Install macOS, with my current EFI folder in the USB, and install Big Sur on the other SSD.

However, do I need to do step 10 (Copy the EFI folder from the EFI partition of your USB flash drive to the EFI partition of your main system drive.)? If I leave the boot order as is in BIOS, will my current EFI on the Catalina disk give me the option to boot Catalina or Big Sur?

Thanks.

Catalina has been running stable on this build for many months now, and Opencore updated to 0.6.4.

I'd like to install Big Sur on a different SSD so to keep my Catalina build, incase anything goes wrong as I need this machine for work....I presume this is straightforward?

Create Your USB Installer And Install macOS, with my current EFI folder in the USB, and install Big Sur on the other SSD.

However, do I need to do step 10 (Copy the EFI folder from the EFI partition of your USB flash drive to the EFI partition of your main system drive.)? If I leave the boot order as is in BIOS, will my current EFI on the Catalina disk give me the option to boot Catalina or Big Sur?

Thanks.
Before I upgraded to Big Sur, I installed it on the HDD while Catalina stayed on the SSD.
And EFI continued to use the SSD and at boot I switched to Big Sur.

Yes.

However, do I need to do step 10 (Copy the EFI folder from the EFI partition of your USB flash drive to the EFI partition of your main system drive.)?
It's not absolutely required, but I suggested doing it anyway.

If I leave the boot order as is in BIOS, will my current EFI on the Catalina disk give me the option to boot Catalina or Big Sur?
Yes.

Yes.

It's not absolutely required, but I suggested doing it anyway.

Yes.
Thanks Pastrychef,

I'm still on an old version of the BIOS (F9g I think). I presume staying on that will not affect anything either?

Thanks Pastrychef,

I'm still on an old version of the BIOS (F9g I think). I presume staying on that will not affect anything either?

If you've CFG Lock is disabled, it will work. But I still feel the latest BIOS is better.

If you've CFG Lock is disabled, it will work. But I still feel the latest BIOS is better.
Ok. I might give it a go. Thanks. There was some talk of sleep issues with some of the BIOS updates, that's what put me off as sleep had been solid for me.

Ok. I might give it a go. Thanks. There was some talk of sleep issues with some of the BIOS updates, that's what put me off as sleep had been solid for me.

I'm unaware of anyone who had sleep issues with the new BIOS.

Big Sur installed successfully on separate SSD. Thanks for all the tips.

However I have noticed that Sidecar is no longer working. It was working on OC 0.5.9, but now not working on Catalina or Big Sur. I’m on iMac19,1. Just goes to black screen on iPad.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Big Sur installed successfully on separate SSD. Thanks for all the tips.

However I have noticed that Sidecar is no longer working. It was working on OC 0.5.9, but now not working on Catalina or Big Sur. I’m on iMac19,1. Just goes to black screen on iPad.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Now sorted. Enabled IGPU in BIOS. All is good again!

OpenCore EFI updated to version 0.6.5.

As usual, do not use your old config.plist. Instead, copy/paste your Serial, Board Serial, UUID, and MAC address to the new config.plist.

Back