Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Might seem like a small thing but I am not at all a fan of the greeter screen that I get in Big Sur when switching users. It is the Big Sur Graphic.heic that is shown and I don't like it. Someone over at IM helped me a bit but I've hit a wall. I guess this could be considered off topic, and as this is @pastrychef 's thread, if you want me to start a new one, let me know

The login wallpaper is at System/Library/Desktop\ Pictures which of course is read only now

So I boot into recovery
1. "diskutil mount /dev/diskXsY" where XY is my Big Sur read only volume
2. "mount -uw /Volumes/macOS\ Big\ Sur" (I'm told this makes the volume read write)
3. "cd /Volumes/macOS\ Big\ Sur/System/Library/Desktop\ Pictures"
4. now if I type "ls" I can see all the wallpaper file names
5. This is where I get stuck, I have been told I need to "create a symlink to another graphic" so I type "ln -s Volumes/macOS\ Big\ Sur/System/Library/Desktop\ Pictures/Big\ Sur.heic Volumes/macOS\ Big\ Sur/System/Library/Desktop\ Pictures/Big\ Sur\ Graphic.heic"

The message I get is "ln Volumes/macOS Big Sur/System/Library/Desktop Pictures/Big Sur Graphic.heic: No such file or directory

Any terminal gurus help me?
sometimes dragging the file to terminal may help, but yes a little off topic here, maybe create a new thread

Might seem like a small thing but I am not at all a fan of the greeter screen that I get in Big Sur when switching users. It is the Big Sur Graphic.heic that is shown and I don't like it. Someone over at IM helped me a bit but I've hit a wall. I guess this could be considered off topic, and as this is @pastrychef 's thread, if you want me to start a new one, let me know

The login wallpaper is at System/Library/Desktop\ Pictures which of course is read only now

So I boot into recovery
1. "diskutil mount /dev/diskXsY" where XY is my Big Sur read only volume
2. "mount -uw /Volumes/macOS\ Big\ Sur" (I'm told this makes the volume read write)
3. "cd /Volumes/macOS\ Big\ Sur/System/Library/Desktop\ Pictures"
4. now if I type "ls" I can see all the wallpaper file names
5. This is where I get stuck, I have been told I need to "create a symlink to another graphic" so I type "ln -s Volumes/macOS\ Big\ Sur/System/Library/Desktop\ Pictures/Big\ Sur.heic Volumes/macOS\ Big\ Sur/System/Library/Desktop\ Pictures/Big\ Sur\ Graphic.heic"

The message I get is "ln Volumes/macOS Big Sur/System/Library/Desktop Pictures/Big Sur Graphic.heic: No such file or directory

Any terminal gurus help me?

Edit:
If you still have Mojave installed somewhere, you can probably boot in to it and replace the file from Finder.

Last edited:

Edit:
If you still have Mojave installed somewhere, you can probably boot in to it and replace the file from Finder.
Thanks @pastrychef - the guide changes the image shown when you select your login name, which is different to the one shown before you select the user. The path to that file is in the local user library/caches folder and can be edited. The system wide one of course is on the system volume and can’t be edited, thanks Apple for not letting me choose the image I want! Anyway, I’m taking this thread off topic so I’ll keep tinkering. Thanks for the Mojave finder idea.....

That is Enabled.

I don't know why your Energy Saver looks like that.

Mine looks like the following. (I think Start up automatically after a power failure is only available with a UPS attached.):
Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 9.19.55 PM.png

All, hoping one of you can point me in the right direction. Have been running this board for a year (with and without a discreet graphics card) and have a well working solution currently with latest Catalina (seems perfect minus the USB C port from the mother board that is recently mentioned in this thread). Right now I'm on Clover 5127 with the appropriate Quirks set and the latest F9I firmware. Also, I have yet to move to NVRAM (still have the emulated version as when I built this there wasn't another option).

I tried an upgrade to BigSur but have yet to be successful. I had to remove the FakeSMC stuff (added the VirtualSMC per the recommendations) but with the FakeSMC stuff there it was causing a panic early in the install boot. I now get further (the integrated graphics gets started and I get a cursor but then it reboots before I ever get the typical installing progress bar).

Rather than try and debug my clover config I figured I'd take the plunge and move to OC (as its the wave of the future) and was looking for a working config.plist for OC that has the integrated graphics enabled (as opposed to creating one up by hand migrating all my stuff from my current CLOVER config.plist). I've found numerous versions in this thread for CLOVER but haven't seen the equivalent for OC. If one already exists and I just missed it, can someone point me at it. If not, does anyone have one they could upload? Thanks!

Last edited:
All, hoping one of you can point me in the right direction. Have been running this board for a year (with and without a discreet graphics card) and have a well working solution currently with latest Catalina (seems perfect minus the USB C port from the mother board that is recently mentioned in this thread). Right now I'm on Clover 5127 with the appropriate Quirks set and the latest F9I firmware. Also, I have yet to move to NVRAM (still have the emulated version as when I built this there wasn't another option).

I tried an upgrade to BigSur but have yet to be successful. I had to remove the FakeSMC stuff (added the VirtualSMC per the recommendations) but with the FakeSMC stuff there it was causing a panic early in the install boot. I now get further (the integrated graphics gets started and I get a cursor but then it reboots before I ever get the typical installing progress bar).

Rather than try and debug my clover config I figured I'd take the plunge and move to OC (as its the wave of the future) and was looking for a working config.plist for OC that has the integrated graphics enabled (as opposed to creating one up by hand migrating all my stuff from my current CLOVER config.plist). I've found numerous versions in this thread for CLOVER but haven't seen the equivalent for OC. If one already exists and I just missed it, can someone point me at it. If not, does anyone have one they could upload? Thanks!

You can try the device properties in the config.plist from post #1360.

You can also try using Hackintool to generate a patch yourself.
Launch Hackintool.
Select Patch from the menu bar.
Select System Configs > Gigabyte > Z390M Gaming [CFL].
In the main Hackintool window, click the Patch button on top, then the Patch tab below it.
Click the Generate Patch button at the bottom of the window.

Thanks. I had seen the one in post 1360 for CLOVER. Sounds like I’ll need to build one up for OC then (either starting from that or the working one I have).

Just take the config.plist from post #1360 and copy the device property and paste it to your OpenCore config.plist.

Back