Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Please try booting in to the Recovery partition and reinstalling macOS on top of your current installation.
it won't load. I get the same result.

No worries, pastrychef. thank you so much for all the help today.

I think I'll just stick to high Sierra. although I've never managed to get the UHD 630 graphics to work, at least I can use the 1050ti with it. another problem for another day, I suppose.
out of curiosity... what mobo+cpu (similar budget to what I have) would you say works best out of the box for catalina / big sur..?

many, many thanks again!

it won't load. I get the same result.

No worries, pastrychef. thank you so much for all the help today.

I think I'll just stick to high Sierra. although I've never managed to get the UHD 630 graphics to work, at least I can use the 1050ti with it. another problem for another day, I suppose.
out of curiosity... what mobo+cpu (similar budget to what I have) would you say works best out of the box for catalina / big sur..?

many, many thanks again!

Doesn't make sense... The same EFI boots here...

Using IGPU only is a PITA on this motherboard because of the need to configure the ports. If you intend to use IGPU only, I wouldn't recommend this motherboard. My Asus Z370-G doesn't require any port configuration at all.

CSM = Compatibility Support Module. In some instances, video cards don't work right with this disabled. It shouldn't be problem to have it enabled.

As explained in post #1, my USB ports kext disables 3 of the 4 USB2 ports from the motherboard header. To get it to work right, you will have to re-do the USB ports kext to your specific needs. Please see the following guide:
Thanks for confirming about CSM. And I did see the note about some USB ports being disabled. Just wondered if you knew off the top of your head which ones were disabled. I found that USB port tutorial and will try it out to actually map out which ports I want to prioritize. Thank you so much for your help.

Thanks for confirming about CSM. And I did see the note about some USB ports being disabled. Just wondered if you knew off the top of your head which ones were disabled. I found that USB port tutorial and will try it out to actually map out which ports I want to prioritize. Thank you so much for your help.

Only one of the internal USB2 ports are enabled. It is HS10 on F_USB1. The other three USB2 ports are disabled due to my hitting the 15 port limit of macOS.

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 2.14.42 PM.png

@pastrychef - what do you think on upgrading to Big Sur on my daily driver? Wait a while I guess? Out of interest, if I did upgrade would latest OC work or changes needed? Appreciate your opinions!

Only one of the internal USB2 ports are enabled. It is HS10 on F_USB1. The other three USB2 ports are disabled due to my hitting the 15 port limit of macOS.

View attachment 495261
Thanks for that info. Saves me a lot of time. I wish I could "buy you a cup of coffee or a beer," but I realize it is not allowed, so will make a TonyMac donation in your name for great community support here.

@pastrychef - what do you think on upgrading to Big Sur on my daily driver? Wait a while I guess? Out of interest, if I did upgrade would latest OC work or changes needed? Appreciate your opinions!

I'm not waiting but I'm having problems downloading the update... My guess is that the Apple servers are being hit hard. I'll report back once I finish updating.

It took a few hours for me to get through to Apple's servers, but I finally got through and did the update. (I like the old system sounds better...)

System restarted 3 times (I think) and it took about 45 minutes.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 9.54.06 PM.png

I only tested on OpenCore 0.6.3 for now.

Go to config.plist > Kernel > Quirks and enable DisableIoMapper. If you don't do this, ethernet and Wi-Fi will be broken.
Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 10.24.20 PM.png

Update:
  • I just tested booting from the latest Clover and it worked fine. Enabling "DisableIoMapper" is also required for Clover.
  • If you are seeing color banding on your monitor, please see this fix from @Bustycat
  • It seems that I once again need to click the mouse multiple times to wake the system. "darkwake=1" no longer seems to fix this...
  • For those of you who miss having a calculator widget in the Notification Center, check out Handy Calculator from the Mac App Store. It's really cool and it's free.
  • The Time Machine icon on my Time Machine drive now consistently reappears across reboots.
  • I'm still not used to these new system sounds...

Last edited:
Upgrade went great.. Everything is working good. Sleep problem I was having was fixed with last update to RC. Still running a modified OC 0.6.2. Any gains by going to to OC 0.6.3?
It took a few hours for me to get through to Apple's servers, but I finally got through and did the update. (I like the old system sounds better...)

System restarted 3 times (I think) and it took about 45 minutes.

View attachment 495456
I only tested on OpenCore 0.6.3 for now.

Go to config.plist > Kernel > Quirks and enable DisableIoMapper. If you don't do this, ethernet and Wi-Fi will be broken.
View attachment 495459
Upgrade went great.. Everything is working good. Sleep problem I was having was fixed with last update to RC and is still working right on GM. Still running a modified OC 0.6.2. Any gains by going to to OC 0.6.3?

Upgrade went great.. Everything is working good. Sleep problem I was having was fixed with last update to RC. Still running a modified OC 0.6.2. Any gains by going to to OC 0.6.3?

Upgrade went great.. Everything is working good. Sleep problem I was having was fixed with last update to RC and is still working right on GM. Still running a modified OC 0.6.2. Any gains by going to to OC 0.6.3?

If 0.6.2 is working for you, there probably isn't much reason to go to 0.6.3.

Back