Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

I have a little question. This is not a problem because the whole is very stable and works perfectly (standby, etc.).

There is just one thing. I have an 860 evo ssd and the hackintosh takes 2 minutes and 15 seconds during the apple loading. I disabled the password at startup. Do you have such a long deadline as well?

This really isn't a problem, but I'm not used to such a slow boot which is windows xp anymore. Sometimes I'm afraid it won't start because the bar doesn't move.

If someone has an idea. I have scrupulously respected the tutorial.

Have a lovely day everybody !
Hmm... that seems a bit excessive.

I built a system using @pastrychef's EFI folder and installed it onto an old 250GB 850 EVO SSD that I had left over from some project from a couple years ago. I don't recall that it took anywhere near that long to boot - from cold boot to login prompt was on the order of 30-40 seconds. I cloned the system onto an NVMe drive, so start up times are now <20 seconds.

So, I can confirm that 135 seconds for start up is probably not "normal" with the EVO SSD that you're using. Maybe someone else has insight into how to address this.

Good luck!
J

Hi there.
Am I the only one annoyed by red strip LED on Z390 Gaming M motherboard?

I went with a black and white esthetic, and dim white led for slight illumination of components.

The red light is destroying my dreams :D.
If you turn it off in BIOS settings, it's turning off the 12v led pin as well.

Do you know if there is any safe way to turn off the red LED off?

I'll check and get back to you. I can dual boot into windows and I have used windows to setup the RGB colors on my hackintosh. The Ambient LED gigabyte software allows you to control the RGB header, but oddly it does not allow you to change the Red color of that strip on the motherboard. I will check if there is an option to turn it off.

For those that haven't tried it, if you install the gigabyte ambient LED software, you can control the RGB header colors, which persist whether you are in windows of MacOS. I have also downloaded the iCue software to control my memory RGB color and the Sapphire software to control the LED color on my graphics card.

I have a little question. This is not a problem because the whole is very stable and works perfectly (standby, etc.).

There is just one thing. I have an 860 evo ssd and the hackintosh takes 2 minutes and 15 seconds during the apple loading. I disabled the password at startup. Do you have such a long deadline as well?

This really isn't a problem, but I'm not used to such a slow boot which is windows xp anymore. Sometimes I'm afraid it won't start because the bar doesn't move.

If someone has an idea. I have scrupulously respected the tutorial.

Have a lovely day everybody !

That doesn't necessarily indicate the SSD might be the cause. With boot stalling and the bar not moving this sounds like the system is waiting for a device to declare itself. To make-up an example, how about: "Oh, here we have a network card. Let's poll it for a while until it tells us what type it is and we can load the drivers... Dum-ti-dum... Still waiting... Okay, time-out let's move on ..."

Tracking down which device it is waiting for can sometimes be discovered through a verbose boot.

The other thing worth checking if you feel it really is your SSD - do you have Trim enabled?

Personally I disable this in macOS because most modern SSDs have their own firmware garbage-collection and trim as a default etc. However I should point out I'm not using an 860 EVO. Maybe it needs this. Worth checking though. Take care and keep a UniBeast installer as a booter back-up while testing. :thumbup:

:)

P.S - Same MoBo here - snappy to boot.

I'll check and get back to you. I can dual boot into windows and I have used windows to setup the RGB colors on my hackintosh. The Ambient LED gigabyte software allows you to control the RGB header, but oddly it does not allow you to change the Red color of that strip on the motherboard. I will check if there is an option to turn it off.

For those that haven't tried it, if you install the gigabyte ambient LED software, you can control the RGB header colors, which persist whether you are in windows of MacOS. I have also downloaded the iCue software to control my memory RGB color and the Sapphire software to control the LED color on my graphics card.
Thanks for the effort!
I have gigabyte software installed. I used it to disable IO shield led, and set the led strip I installed to white.
Unfortunately, it does not allow for turning the red led off :(.

Maybe I missed something, please let me know if you find some solution.

Thanks for the effort!
I have gigabyte software installed. I used it to disable IO shield led, and set the led strip I installed to white.
Unfortunately, it does not allow for turning the red led off :(.

Maybe I missed something, please let me know if you find some solution.

Yeah, I just tried it too. Same result as you. The switch lets you turn off the RED light, but it also turns off the RGB header so all the LEDs go out. Bummer.

I was messing around on my Windows boot and noticed that BIOS F9l is no longer beta. It is the official version on the gigabyte site.

I've been running with that BIOS since I did my build 3 weeks ago while it was still beta. I've been rock stable and zero issues and even switched to OC (thanks for the incredible guide Pastrychef!)

I was messing around on my Windows boot and noticed that BIOS F9l is no longer beta. It is the official version on the gigabyte site.

I've been running with that BIOS since I did my build 3 weeks ago while it was still beta. I've been rock stable and zero issues and even switched to OC (thanks for the incredible guide Pastrychef!)

Thanks for the heads up!

I just updated and everything went super smooth. No black screen issue this time.

Maybe try the following Terminal command:
Code:
networksetup -setairportpower en1 on
I finally was able to restart my computer (backups) and it still does not work on 0.6.2.
Thanks again for all your help.

I finally was able to restart my computer (backups) and it still does not work on 0.6.2.
Thanks again for all your help.

I'm out of ideas... I don't know why you can't turn on your Wi-Fi...

Back