Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Pastrychef, I just received the wireless bluetooth/wifi card you suggest and need to know what adapter to get. Can it go in an adapter for one of the slots on the MB or does it go into a PCI slot adapter? I have a SSD in the m2 slot already. Can you link me to one on Amazon you recommend? Thanks a bunch.

If you got the BCM94360CS2, the following adaptor will work:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08312ND67/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I just tested Clover r5124.

It boots Catalina fine.
I can't get it to boot Big Sur Public Beta.

I'm seriously considering no longer updating the Clover EFIs...

I just tested Clover r5124.

It boots Catalina fine.
I can't get it to boot Big Sur Public Beta.

I'm seriously considering no longer updating the Clover EFIs...

A question about transitioning (sorry, just beginning research on this) - my in-process build is working and now that I've more or less grokked the issue with the framebuffers, considering transitioning to / re-doing based on OpenCore. I had some success with the first stage of putting OpenCore on this but got stumped as to how to do the de-bugging/exploring on OpenCore; I think my first cut at OpenCore was basically okay except for that.

Would it be better to try to replace the EFI with OpenCore and work from there (with backups, of course, so I can revert) or build from scratch? The part that concerns me is that the Clover installation seems to have peppered files (kexts) all over and tracking down may take some time (and I guess possibly lead to conflicts if I miss anything).

By the way, I've not got the NVRAM working - at least from the test of writing a variable to NVRAM and rebooting - which confuses me as at one point earlier I had that going. Not ready to post complete files as need to do some cleanup and detective work on my own. But for one datapoint, I did the CFG disable procedure in your posts #1 and #4 of this thread, and again the details were identical to the Z390M Gaming (Bios v5, 0x5C1 and 0x0). I'm not even clear yet on what is different between these boards apart from the physical display connectors.

A question about transitioning (sorry, just beginning research on this) - my in-process build is working and now that I've more or less grokked the issue with the framebuffers, considering transitioning to / re-doing based on OpenCore. I had some success with the first stage of putting OpenCore on this but got stumped as to how to do the de-bugging/exploring on OpenCore; I think my first cut at OpenCore was basically okay except for that.

Would it be better to try to replace the EFI with OpenCore and work from there (with backups, of course, so I can revert) or build from scratch? The part that concerns me is that the Clover installation seems to have peppered files (kexts) all over and tracking down may take some time (and I guess possibly lead to conflicts if I miss anything).

By the way, I've not got the NVRAM working - at least from the test of writing a variable to NVRAM and rebooting - which confuses me as at one point earlier I had that going. Not ready to post complete files as need to do some cleanup and detective work on my own. But for one datapoint, I did the CFG disable procedure in your posts #1 and #4 of this thread, and again the details were identical to the Z390M Gaming (Bios v5, 0x5C1 and 0x0). I'm not even clear yet on what is different between these boards apart from the physical display connectors.

If you already have everything working with Clover, you can just do the following:
  1. Download the latest OpenCore EFI from post #1.
  2. Open the OpenCore config.plist with a plist editor.
  3. Delete everything in config.plist > DeviceProperties.
  4. Open your current Clover config.plist with a plist editor.
  5. Copy everything in config.plist > Devices > Properties and paste it to the OpenCore config.plist > DeviceProperties.
  6. On the OpenCore config.plist populate the info as instructed in the Read Me file that's included with my OpenCore EFI in config.plist > PlatformInfo > Generic.
  7. Replace the USB ports kext in my EFI with yours.
  8. Save.
  9. Try booting from OpenCore.

Z390 is Z390. The primary differences between your motherboard and mine are the VRM. Mine has better VRM which is really only needed for overclocking. Other than that, the differences are extremely minor such as USB ports layout, video out ports, etc. For the most part, my EFI should work fine for you.

Navigate to /EFI/OC/ACPI/.
Replace the SSDT-PLUG.aml file with the one attached here.
Reboot.

What do these SSDT-PLUG files do? I also follow the Z390 Designare thread. I looked at CaseySJs open core EFI and that SSDT-PLUG.aml just contains a few lines of code. See attached. I am building up to making my own OpenCore EFI so I can understand more of the details.

Attachments

• SSDT-PLUG.aml
    124 bytes · Views: 42
Hi there.
Am I the only one annoyed by red strip LED on Z390 Gaming M motherboard?

I went with a black and white esthetic, and dim white led for slight illumination of components.

The red light is destroying my dreams :D.
If you turn it off in BIOS settings, it's turning off the 12v led pin as well.

Do you know if there is any safe way to turn off the red LED off?

What do these SSDT-PLUG files do? I also follow the Z390 Designare thread. I looked at CaseySJs open core EFI and that SSDT-PLUG.aml just contains a few lines of code. See attached. I am building up to making my own OpenCore EFI so I can understand more of the details.

These are supposed to enable the different power states of the CPU. It's the equivalent of setting PluginType=Yes in Clover.

You can also use the following to enable the different power states of your CPU:

It's just taking different routes to try and reach the same destination.

Hi there.
Am I the only one annoyed by red strip LED on Z390 Gaming M motherboard?

I went with a black and white esthetic, and dim white led for slight illumination of components.

The red light is destroying my dreams :D.
If you turn it off in BIOS settings, it's turning off the 12v led pin as well.

Do you know if there is any safe way to turn off the red LED off?

Sorry. I have no idea. I have never really cared about LEDs and never looked in to it.

I have a little question. This is not a problem because the whole is very stable and works perfectly (standby, etc.).

There is just one thing. I have an 860 evo ssd and the hackintosh takes 2 minutes and 15 seconds during the apple loading. I disabled the password at startup. Do you have such a long deadline as well?

This really isn't a problem, but I'm not used to such a slow boot which is windows xp anymore. Sometimes I'm afraid it won't start because the bar doesn't move.

If someone has an idea. I have scrupulously respected the tutorial.

Have a lovely day everybody !

Back