Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Well, I was able to install windows and everything was working fine (With Mojave), but some specific driver on windows did a mess with the NVMe where I installed Mojave... Now when I try to install Mojave again, the NVMe not appears... Any idea how bring it back?

@pastrychef, I am looking to build a new hack, my current one is going to my nephew, and I rather like your build. One question though, the two links for the motherboard in your first post are for different boards, which is the correct board you used.

Well, I was able to install windows and everything was working fine (With Mojave), but some specific driver on windows did a mess with the NVMe where I installed Mojave... Now when I try to install Mojave again, the NVMe not appears... Any idea how bring it back?

Is Mojave still on the NVMe SSD? If yes, you probably don't need to do a clean install. Just re-download the EFI and put it on the EFI partition.

I can't think of anything that Windows can do that would cause the NVMe SSD to not show up. Try initializing it again with Disk Utility.

@pastrychef, I am looking to build a new hack, my current one is going to my nephew, and I rather like your build. One question though, the two links for the motherboard in your first post are for different boards, which is the correct board you used.

Hmm... Both links work for me... Just make sure it's the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming.

I have not been able to monitor dGPU temps since moving to OpenCore. I have to trust that the video card is cooling itself sufficiently. Personally, I did my overclocking and know how the video card behaves when I was still on Clover + FakeSMC. If I ever needed to mess with a new video card, I can see myself going back to FakeSMC to do my testing.

If you want to try switching to FakeSMC, just delete all references to VirtualSMC in config.plist > Kernel > Add and add FakeSMC and its plugins along with all their Executable Paths and Plist Paths. That's it.

Yes, the sensors are very different between VirtualSMC and FakeSMC. When switching between them, it confuses iStat Menus to the point where I have to redo my menu bar.

VirtualSMC has enough sensors for CPU for me to know if everything is running within tolerances. It just lacks and dGPU sensors.

As promised I'm here to leave you this information:
apart from problems I have with the values that are measured by the motherboard (but only for the processor) in any operating system (including the BIOS), I can confirm that the Kext family related to FakeSMC (therefore also the GPUsensor) works with Open Core 0.6.0 in Big Sur and also the video card temperature is detected correctly (at least that).
The different behavior I had detected by ear was also due to a different approach between Catalina and Big Sur.
As soon as I can also do the EFI with version 0.6.1 I will inform you if anything changes, but I hope not.
To see the GPU temperature HWMonitorSMC2 is not good, but you have to use HWmonitor or other programs that, reading the GPUkext, mark it.

A greeting.

Is Mojave still on the NVMe SSD? If yes, you probably don't need to do a clean install. Just re-download the EFI and put it on the EFI partition.

I can't think of anything that Windows can do that would cause the NVMe SSD to not show up. Try initializing it again with Disk Utility.
I think the problem appeared when I installed optane

I think the problem appeared when I installed optane

Optane can cause problems with macOS. I could be wrong, but, as far as I know, there are no fixes other than to remove the Optane SSD. I've never had an Optane SSD so I never really looked in to fixes.

Hmm... Both links work for me... Just make sure it's the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming.
Hmm, must be because I am in the UK
the Amazon link shows as GIGABYTE Z390 UD
the Newegg link shows as GIGABYTE Z390 M GAMING

so it is the one in the Newegg link :thumbup:

Optane can cause problems with macOS. I could be wrong, but, as far as I know, there are no fixes other than to remove the Optane SSD. I've never had an Optane SSD so I never really looked in to fixes.
Ok @pastrychef thx for the info... I go to format the windows disk just if I can see again Mojave, if not, I go to try install all again...

Ok @pastrychef thx for the info... I go to format the windows disk just if I can see again Mojave, if not, I go to try install all again...

I say try pulling the Optane SSD and see if everything returns to normal.

Last edited:
Back