Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

It's detected now but still will not turn on.

Hmm... I've never come across a Wi-Fi card that won't turn on in a desktop... Maybe try clearing NVRAM?

Hmm... I've never come across a Wi-Fi card that won't turn on in a desktop... Maybe try clearing NVRAM?
I did clean it no change. I guess I'll go back to. 0.6.0 for now and try the next one I guess. Thanks for your help.

Greetings to all here.

Since in this configuration (created by an expert) there is my own video card, I allow myself to ask a few questions @pastrychef, hoping that you have the patience and time to take a look at it.
I come straight to the point: until now I have always used the family of kext related to FakeSMC and for VII I used the GPUsensor.kext and everything worked perfectly.
I've tried switching to VirtualSMC, but I'm having a lot of problems and can't find a way to display GPU temperature.

The passage I did it like this (in the Clover EFI):
1) removed FakeSMC & Co. and copied the VirtualSMC kext plus the two plugins SMCprocessor and SMCsuperIO in the other folder of Clover.
2) removed SMChelper.efi and copied VirtualSmc.efi to drivers/UEFI folder.
3) restarted the computer.

Do I have to intervene in some way also on Config.plist?
Is there anything missing/wrong in the steps I made? If yes, can I know how?
For the Radeon VII, how do you get the temperature?
Which program is recommended for monitoring all computer parameters (among the many available); which also allows you to create a curve for the CPU and Case fans?

I seem to have understood that for Open Core (necessary to go beyond Catalina) VirtualSMC is to be preferred, so I would like to start to understand something, since everything has gone well so far, I have never updated and I have used FakeSMC & Co. from the first installation.

I tried to do a search, but I could not find anything that related VirtualSMC and the temperatures of the Radeon VII so I just had to try to ask (probably something is there, but it is I who have not been able to find :oops:).

A greeting and thanks.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
Well, finally I've installed MojaveOS and almost everything is working well except the front USB (Pic0.jpeg)...
Just for curiosity, what do the red (down) and yellow (up) light on the board mean? (Pic1.jpeg)
Thx!

Attachments

• Pic0.jpeg
    Pic0.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Pic1.jpeg
    Pic1.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 53
Greetings to all here.

Since in this configuration (created by an expert) there is my own video card, I allow myself to ask a few questions @pastrychef, hoping that you have the patience and time to take a look at it.
I come straight to the point: until now I have always used the family of kext related to FakeSMC and for VII I used the GPUsensor.kext and everything worked perfectly.
I've tried switching to VirtualSMC, but I'm having a lot of problems and can't find a way to display GPU temperature.

The passage I did it like this (in the Clover EFI):
1) removed FakeSMC & Co. and copied the VirtualSMC kext plus the two plugins SMCprocessor and SMCsuperIO in the other folder of Clover.
2) removed SMChelper.efi and copied VirtualSmc.efi to drivers/UEFI folder.
3) restarted the computer.

Do I have to intervene in some way also on Config.plist?
Is there anything missing/wrong in the steps I made? If yes, can I know how?
For the Radeon VII, how do you get the temperature?
Which program is recommended for monitoring all computer parameters (among the many available); which also allows you to create a curve for the CPU and Case fans?

I seem to have understood that for Open Core (necessary to go beyond Catalina) VirtualSMC is to be preferred, so I would like to start to understand something, since everything has gone well so far, I have never updated and I have used FakeSMC & Co. from the first installation.

I tried to do a search, but I could not find anything that related VirtualSMC and the temperatures of the Radeon VII so I just had to try to ask (probably something is there, but it is I who have not been able to find :oops:).

A greeting and thanks.

Yes, VirtualSMC doesn't have any sensors for dGPU. I don't know of any workarounds or solutions other than to revert back to FakeSMC.

I tested FakeSMC with an older version of OpenCore and it worked but I don't know if it will still work with newer versions of OpenCore.

Hi everyone!
Well, finally I've installed MojaveOS and almost everything is working well except the front USB (Pic0.jpeg)...
Just for curiosity, what do the red (down) and yellow (up) light on the board mean? (Pic1.jpeg)
Thx!

Yes, I did not configure the USB ports kext for the internal USB2 headers except to enable one port for Bluetooth because my case doesn't have USB2 ports.

You will have to re-do the USB ports kext to enable those two USB2 ports. The following guide will help you through it.

I don't know which red and yellow lights you are speaking of... Some LEDs are just decorative on the motherboard.

Thx!

Pulled from the motherboard info page regarding the red LED lower down:

"GIGABYTE motherboards feature an audio noise guard that essentially separates the board’s sensitive analog audio components from potential noise pollution at the PCB level. LED trace path lighting Illuminates to show the separation of the PCB layers."

A quick poke around the Internet leads me to conclude that the yellow LED is for illumination only (although it may also be the LED that changes color to indicate a power issue).

Yes, VirtualSMC doesn't have any sensors for dGPU. I don't know of any workarounds or solutions other than to revert back to FakeSMC.

I tested FakeSMC with an older version of OpenCore and it worked but I don't know if it will still work with newer versions of OpenCore.

Thanks for the quick reply, as always ...:)
So that's a big deal, but may I ask you how do you monitor that temperature for the video card or do you just without it?

Can I still ask you if the procedure I used to try the replacement is correct or if some step is missing (for example in the config.plist) or if there is some error?

I confess that this thing has created a bit of confusion for me because I find myself between Clover and Open Core and I still struggle to understand the use of drivers on one and the other and the fact that on Open Core you must always intervene directly on the config.plist, it also creates doubts about Clover, where I rarely encountered, thanks to the configurator, the fault of the fact that I am not used to the "serious" way of managing everything.

On the other hand I can tell you that in the EFI Open Core 0.6.0 that I used to test Big Sur in part it seemed to me that the FakeSMC worked, but anyway I did everything before I even became interested in the Intel Power Gadget and the HWMoitorSMC2 and in any case I said partly because some things about fan control did not work the same way (in fact the behavior was different even when listening to them). As soon as I restart the test SSD with Big Sur and deepen, I will come back to update you (if only for knowledge) on what I understand.
But I understand from now on that I will struggle to configure the cooling system as I have done up to now here on Catalina and it will be a problem because I have the under-sized radiator for the current processor and the fans are the 3000 rpm ones (front and behind) that I have to spin hard only when it is really necessary, otherwise they are unbearable, I just hope not to have to change the radiator in the future, it would make me pass even more the desire to move to Big Sur ...

So I renew my thanks, for now and see you soon for the promised update ... good W.E.

Thanks for the quick reply, as always ...:)
So that's a big deal, but may I ask you how do you monitor that temperature for the video card or do you just without it?

Can I still ask you if the procedure I used to try the replacement is correct or if some step is missing (for example in the config.plist) or if there is some error?

I confess that this thing has created a bit of confusion for me because I find myself between Clover and Open Core and I still struggle to understand the use of drivers on one and the other and the fact that on Open Core you must always intervene directly on the config.plist, it also creates doubts about Clover, where I rarely encountered, thanks to the configurator, the fault of the fact that I am not used to the "serious" way of managing everything.

On the other hand I can tell you that in the EFI Open Core 0.6.0 that I used to test Big Sur in part it seemed to me that the FakeSMC worked, but anyway I did everything before I even became interested in the Intel Power Gadget and the HWMoitorSMC2 and in any case I said partly because some things about fan control did not work the same way (in fact the behavior was different even when listening to them). As soon as I restart the test SSD with Big Sur and deepen, I will come back to update you (if only for knowledge) on what I understand.
But I understand from now on that I will struggle to configure the cooling system as I have done up to now here on Catalina and it will be a problem because I have the under-sized radiator for the current processor and the fans are the 3000 rpm ones (front and behind) that I have to spin hard only when it is really necessary, otherwise they are unbearable, I just hope not to have to change the radiator in the future, it would make me pass even more the desire to move to Big Sur ...

So I renew my thanks, for now and see you soon for the promised update ... good W.E.

I have not been able to monitor dGPU temps since moving to OpenCore. I have to trust that the video card is cooling itself sufficiently. Personally, I did my overclocking and know how the video card behaves when I was still on Clover + FakeSMC. If I ever needed to mess with a new video card, I can see myself going back to FakeSMC to do my testing.

If you want to try switching to FakeSMC, just delete all references to VirtualSMC in config.plist > Kernel > Add and add FakeSMC and its plugins along with all their Executable Paths and Plist Paths. That's it.

Yes, the sensors are very different between VirtualSMC and FakeSMC. When switching between them, it confuses iStat Menus to the point where I have to redo my menu bar.

VirtualSMC has enough sensors for CPU for me to know if everything is running within tolerances. It just lacks and dGPU sensors.

Back