Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Well that's interesting, I updated to. 0.6.1 and my computer froze... I'm on big sur and checked and saw the patch for wifi but my WiFi kept cycling, without showing any ssid's. How is your system doing? Are you still using big sur? It's been really stable till today. I'll go back to 0.6.0 for now.

I didn't even try booting Big Sur on 0.6.1. Which Wi-Fi patch?

Edit:
I just tried booting Big Sur and it worked fine. I also updated to the latest Big Sur Public Beta and it also worked fine.

Last edited:
I didn't even try booting Big Sur on 0.6.1. Which Wi-Fi patch?

Edit:
I just tried booting Big Sur and it worked fine. I also updated to the latest Big Sur Public Beta and it also worked fine.
Mine the wifi wouldn't work and would freeze my commuter. Strange.
There was a patch that you put in when you tried big Sur the first time. It works on 0.6.0 but not for me on 0.6.1 for some reason. Very strange.

Is there anyway around the f9k blackscreen bug?

This is what just happened to me last night.

I was playing around with some overclock settings. I noticed my CPU was getting too hot, so I went back in and lowered the voltage in the bios and rebooted. I tried to go back into the bios to check the temps after lowering the voltage. Now anytime I try to go into the bios, I see the gigabyte screen, but when I hit delete, I just get a black screen. The monitor stays on though, so I believe I am in the bios, I just can't see any options. If I don't go into the bios, I can boot into windows or macos fine so I don't think anything is fried. I then tried to clear my cmos, but that didn't fix it. When I got into the bios now, it tells me my bios has been cleared, but when I hit OK, it goes to the black screen, but I can still boot into windows(haven't tried mac since my settings are back to default in bios). I then used the windows flash utility to reflash f9k, but still have the same problem. Should I try going back to f9g? Any other suggestions? I left the computer unplugged all night, but same behavior this morning.

Mine the wifi wouldn't work and would freeze my commuter. Strange.
There was a patch that you put in when you tried big Sur the first time. It works on 0.6.0 but not for me on 0.6.1 for some reason. Very strange.

The only patch I added was for the AQC107. Wi-Fi has always worked fine for me without any patches.

Is there anyway around the f9k blackscreen bug?

This is what just happened to me last night.

I was playing around with some overclock settings. I noticed my CPU was getting too hot, so I went back in and lowered the voltage in the bios and rebooted. I tried to go back into the bios to check the temps after lowering the voltage. Now anytime I try to go into the bios, I see the gigabyte screen, but when I hit delete, I just get a black screen. The monitor stays on though, so I believe I am in the bios, I just can't see any options. If I don't go into the bios, I can boot into windows or macos fine so I don't think anything is fried. I then tried to clear my cmos, but that didn't fix it. When I got into the bios now, it tells me my bios has been cleared, but when I hit OK, it goes to the black screen, but I can still boot into windows(haven't tried mac since my settings are back to default in bios). I then used the windows flash utility to reflash f9k, but still have the same problem. Should I try going back to f9g? Any other suggestions? I left the computer unplugged all night, but same behavior this morning.

The only time I encountered the BIOS black screen issue was immediately after updating to F9k. After I connected to my TV and was able to see BIOS and make changes, I've never had issues seeing BIOS on my monitor again. That includes after making changes in BIOS when I was playing around with 5.1GHz overclock.

Things you can try:
Maybe try unplugging and replugging monitor.
Maybe try power cycling monitor.
Maybe try different connection to monitor.

When you had the bios black screen issue, did you still see the gigabyte logo?

So I was able to flash back to f9g and now at least I can see the BIOS settings. But when I tried again to go to f9k, I get the black screen issue. I'll have to figure it out tonight after work. Fortunately, I had a Windows partition setup so I could flash the bios in Windows. I'm not sure what I would have done otherwise.

Should I try that f9j version, or are there other problems with it?

The only patch I added was for the AQC107. Wi-Fi has always worked fine for me without any patches.
Interesting, I wonder why mine suddenly had issues. Maybe I'll download it again and redo it.

Last edited:
Help, I was able to launch a hackintosh on your Clover, but I have a memory problem. Every time I run the hackintosh, all settings are reset and I log out of the iCloud account.
My spec: Z390 m gaming - bios f9j, radeon rx580, intel i5 9400f

Back