Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

In my opinion, the drivers for the CNVi cards are still not very stable and is kind of kludgy to get working.

Also, as far as I know, Continuity functions do not work with them.

You can disable the CNVi card in BIOS. macOS would not be affected if you did this.
I may have to just toss my fenvi t919 back in if i need continuity etc.

Wireless seemed to have worked but there appears to be a lot more work to do on it.

:)

I may have to just toss my fenvi t919 back in if i need continuity etc.

Wireless seemed to have worked but there appears to be a lot more work to do on it.

:)

Yeah... In my opinion, those drivers are not ready for prime time yet...

@pastrychef Hi. Got my Catalina hackintosh running on you older EFI folder (Clover) and instructions some time ago - THANK YOU! :)

Recently wanted to upgrade kexts and Clover itself - but trying to install the latter given me some error (tried to google it - no results found). I've found that you attached updated EFI folder so tried that - but this won't boot at all: black screen with "no, I won't run" icon :/ (I've changed only system identifiers in config.plist). For now, I'm still on older clover with updated kexts. Any clue why it won't boot?

Other problem - my onboard audio won't work at all (from the first install with your configs). Where to look for a problem? Till now I was using Dell USB soundbar to fix that. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Last edited:
@pastrychef Hi. Got my Catalina hackintosh running on you older EFI folder (Clover) and instructions some time ago - THANK YOU! :)

Recently wanted to upgrade kexts and Clover itself - but trying to install the latter given me some error (tried to google it - no results found). I've found that you attached updated EFI folder so tried that - but this won't boot at all: black screen with "no, I won't run" icon :/ (I've changed only system identifiers in config.plist). For now, I'm still on older clover with updated kexts. Any clue why it won't boot?

Other problem - my onboard audio won't work at all (from the first install with your configs). Where to look for a problem? Till now I was using Dell USB soundbar to fix that. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Please boot in verbose mode and post a picture of where it stops.

Audio should be working. Try setting audio-id to 18 in config.plist > Device > Properties.

@pastrychef have you ever seen a situation where when you unplug or plug in a USB device it causes the video to fail? it doesn't happen always But some times when I plug in a USB device into this system all of my screens will go black. this happened on clover and still happens on OC 6.0. Have you ever heard of this?

@pastrychef have you ever seen a situation where when you unplug or plug in a USB device it causes the video to fail? it doesn't happen always But some times when I plug in a USB device into this system all of my screens will go black. this happened on clover and still happens on OC 6.0. Have you ever heard of this?

No. I have never experienced this and I have never heard of this.

What kind of USB device is it? Is it possible that it's trying to draw too much power from the USB port?

What kind of USB device is it? Is it possible that it's trying to draw too much power from the USB port?

Hiya both.

Yes, I've seen this.

However in my experience it is not particular to the Z390M Gaming or similar.

Because I take an interest in the USB sub-system, this had me worried a few builds back. I couldn't figure out what was happening. Until it clicked ... These are my conclusions YMMV.

Same symptoms - plug in a USB device and the screens black-out. Only temporarily though. They do cycle back.

Tried different devices - powered and unpowered. I have a selection of both. External 3.5" caddies with power bricks and standard 2.5" HDDS from Maxtor, Toshiba and WD etc.

The culprit was a 3.5" powered caddy with a "Type-B USB3" port - one of those square USB3 sockets with the extra bit added on top. Using the USB3 cable that was supplied with it, would not transfer data properly and caused a black-out. Using a USB2 spec transfer cable did move data, but still the video got temporarily killed when it was plugged-in.

By a process of trial-and-error I concluded this is an power-to-earth leakage problem. No harm seems to be done to anything, but something trips. For me no other type USB connection causes this effect. The long, thin "micro-B superspeed/USB3" ports are fine, as are the standard "Type-A USB3".

I don't actually think the Type-B USB3 socket is bad in itself, but that the manufacturer of the caddy got something wrong and there is a leakage of power through to earth.

The only way to completely stop the black-outs was to use a USB Type B cable through an extra USB2 extension to the motherboard. This somehow stopped the tripping, maybe by dropping the amperage leaking into the cable.

Hope that shines a light. Let me know if the scenario is different for you.

Last edited:

doesn't appear to be a particular device and it seems random. I have had it happen with flash drives and USB audio devices alike. it is weird like you can hear audio and stuff and I can even remote in But the screens all go black.
has been happening for a long time but today it happened and I had work that hadn't been saved.

Hiya both.

Yes, I've seen this.

However in my experience it is not particular to the Z390M Gaming or similar.

Because I take an interest in the USB sub-system, this had me worried a few builds back. I couldn't figure out what was happening. Until it clicked ... These are my conclusions YMMV.

Same symptoms - plug in a USB device and the screens black-out. Only temporarily though. They do cycle back.

Tried different devices - powered and unpowered. I have a selection of both. External 3.5" caddies with power bricks and standard 2.5" HDDS from Maxtor, Toshiba and WD etc.

The culprit was a 3.5" powered caddy with a "Type-B USB3" port - one of those square USB3 sockets with the extra bit added on top. Using the USB3 cable that was supplied with it, would not transfer data properly and caused a black-out. Using a USB2 spec transfer cable did move data, but still the video got temporarily killed when it was plugged-in.

By a process of trial-and-error I concluded this is an power-to-earth leakage problem. No harm seems to be done to anything, but something trips. For me no other type USB connection causes this effect. The long, thin "micro-B superspeed/USB3" ports are fine, as are the standard "Type-A USB3".

I don't actually think the Type-B USB3 socket is bad in itself, but that the manufacturer of the caddy got something wrong and there is a leakage of power through to earth.

The only way to completely stop the black-outs was to use a USB Type B cable through an extra USB2 extension to the motherboard. This somehow stopped the tripping, maybe by dropping the amperage leaking into the cable.

Hope that shines a light. Let me know if the scenario is different for you.

doesn't appear to be a particular device and it seems random. I have had it happen with flash drives and USB audio devices alike. it is weird like you can hear audio and stuff and I can even remote in But the screens all go black.
has been happening for a long time but today it happened and I had work that hadn't been saved.

Interesting... and weird...

Usually, the only things I plug/unplug to my USB ports are USB flash drives and gamepads. My other USB devices are plugged in from power up and I don't typically unplug them.

I don't know how to go about addressing this... If it's a grounding issue, I guess make sure your power outlets are properly grounded. I have most of my stuff plugged in to a pretty big (six batteries) APC UPS.

Interesting... and weird...

Usually, the only things I plug/unplug to my USB ports are USB flash drives and gamepads. My other USB devices are plugged in from power up and I don't typically unplug them.

I don't know how to go about addressing this... If it's a grounding issue, I guess to make sure your power outlets are properly grounded. I have most of my stuff plugged into a pretty big (six batteries) APC UPS.
will system isn't crashing screens just go black. the system is still running and the USB devices are actually functioning. and the devices are USB powered. the only one other than the occasional flash drive. is a Scarlet 2i2 which is bus-powered. wich was what doing this time. I unplugged it from one Hackintosh and plugged it into the one having the issue and boom the screens just went black and the audio was working and even the scarlet was working. it is just bizarre. it doesn't happen all of the time but I would say maybe once a month. Also, Unit is grounded and running thru a UPS.

Back