Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

@LiveSorcerer : what are you using as cables and connections? I just worked through a problem in Big Sur beta where one of my monitors lost signal after turning Sidecar on. The monitor would only come on if I disconnected and reconnected the cable.

It turned out that I was using a DP > HDMI cable then an HDMI > DVI adapter! This is all I had lying around when I set up my rig. Although fine in Catalina, Big Sur didn't like that chain. Replacing the cable with a DP > DP solved it.

So maybe check your cables and connections, and maybe upgrade the cable too?
So, in my case, I've already switched to better DisplayPort cables, and the case for sound, so it happens on the LG 32 "4k UK550 Monitor, which has speakers on it.
Both Dell UltraSharp U2419H use headset.
2020-08-12 (1).jpeg
2020-08-12.jpeg

My VGA card:
Gigabyte Radeon™ RX VEGA 56 GAMING OC 8G

That is very encouraging to hear!

I'm very careful about what gets installed on my system(s). I prefer apps that don't have "installers". For the times when I do have to run a package installer, I try to check its contents prior to launching it. Suspicious Package and Pacifist are great for this.

I also use the Lulu firewall to monitor if apps are trying to access something in the internet.

Of course, I also keep the main system drive clean of any hackintosh stuff.

Of course, I also keep the main system drive clean of any hackintosh stuff.

What do you mean by this? Clean of stuff that isn't integral to the booting of macOS in the first place?

So, in my case, I've already switched to better DisplayPort cables, and the case for sound, so it happens on the LG 32 "4k UK550 Monitor, which has speakers on it.
Both Dell UltraSharp U2419H use headset.
View attachment 483911View attachment 483912
My VGA card:
Gigabyte Radeon™ RX VEGA 56 GAMING OC 8G
Ooh, so into the cheese grater! Is it a G5 or a Mac Pro? I have a G5 cheese grater chassis sitting in my garage, waiting for me to get adventurous enough to transplant my hack pro into it...

What do you mean by this? Clean of stuff that isn't integral to the booting of macOS in the first place?

Hackintosh kexts. I keep them all in the EFI folder.

Ugh this is the main thing now keeping me from re-attempting a windows install, after I bought two nvmes in order to dual boot. If having Windows around to occasionally play with is going to compromise the MacOS boot volume in any way, it's not worth it to me.

I am ahead of you on building this hack only by a few days. I have a windows 10/Catalina dual boot setup working fine. Windows has put the MSR on my MAC NVme system drive to no ill effect as far as I can tell.

Tony

Ooh, so into the cheese grater! Is it a G5 or a Mac Pro? I have a G5 cheese grater chassis sitting in my garage, waiting for me to get adventurous enough to transplant my hack pro into it...
I have the 3 models:
MacPro with i9, the one in the photo.
PowerMac G5, that I will mount a Ryzen
PowerMac G4, which use an i5 4690.

macOS 10.15.6 Supplimental Update running fine. Takes approx 16 minutes.

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 9.02.00 PM.png

Back