Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

@pastrychef thanks again for all your help & insight here!

Strangely enough, although we're using the exact same mobo, your USB map wasn't entirely working for me: a bunch of my physical ports (on the board's build-in IO, and on the front of the case) weren't working with external drives (mouse & keyboard worked fine).

Anyway, since you'd mentioned Hackintool I went down that rabbit hole tonight and built my own SSDTs and USB kext... all is now working as expected. Probably better this way anyway, right :D

Last edited:
@pastrychef thanks again for all your help & insight here!

Strangely enough, although we're using the exact same mobo, your USB map wasn't entirely working for me: a bunch of my physical ports (on the board's build-in IO, and on the front of the case) weren't working with external drives (mouse & keyboard worked fine).

Anyway, since you'd mentioned Hackintool I went down that rabbit hole tonight and built my own SSDTs and USB kext... all is now working as expected. Probably better this way anyway, right :D

That's really weird. There's no reason the USB kext from my EFI would not work for you. What system definition are you using?

That's really weird. There's no reason the USB kext from my EFI would not work for you. What system definition are you using?
I opted to stick with iMac 19,1...

The USB kext should work fine with iMac19,1. Try the entire EFI folder instead of just the kext.
Did just the kext a few days ago... have been on your whole EFI folder for the last couple of days and that's when I encountered this! Anyway, it was worthwhile to do it myself with Hackintool, I found it an easier solution to use than USBMap.command, and I'm happy with the result.

Hackintool generated the kext, plus SSDT-EC-USBX, and SSDT-UIAC; the kext alone did not get it done (I thought it was supposed to!?).

Last edited:
Did just the kext a few days ago... have been on your whole EFI folder for the last couple of days and that's when I encountered this! Anyway, it was worthwhile to do it myself with Hackintool, I found it an easier solution to use than USBMap.command, and I'm happy with the result.

Hackintool generated the kext, plus SSDT-EC-USBX, and SSDT-UIAC; the kext alone did not get it done (I thought it was supposed to!?).

Yes, you can choose between SSDT-UIAC or the kext. Use one or the other, not both.

If you are on OpenCore, make sure you enable the kext, if you are using the kext...

Last edited:
Another question about the capability of this mobo: I attempted to use an external ssd for file transfer via the USB-C port in the back but nothing happened until I plugged it in via a USB-A port.

Is there something particular that has to be done with this motherboard to get native USB-C working? Thanks!

Another question about the capability of this mobo: I attempted to use an external ssd for file transfer via the USB-C port in the back but nothing happened until I plugged it in via a USB-A port.

Is there something particular that has to be done with this motherboard to get native USB-C working? Thanks!

It should be working... It worked fine on mine when I last tested.

It should be working... It worked fine on mine when I last tested.

Is it possible that it takes a while to mount? The USB-A mount was almost instantaneous, but after 5-6 seconds the mount still hadn't occurred via USB-C. I'll try again and see if anything changes, thanks!

Anyone else repeatedly getting the red "1" indicator on App store? As if you have an update then you click on App Store but there is no update for anything. Get it approx once a week, doesn't bother me just curious to know if others get this?

Back