Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Understood. Sounds like a different card and PCIe adaptor are in my future. Are any particular brands recommended or are they all about the same?

Yes, that’s not a problem as the M Gaming has more SATA ports than I need.

Previously the 840 Evo SSD was my system drive and general storage drive. It sounds like I either need to get a new system SSD and format it as APFS or wipe my 840 Evo and format it as APFS.

When I was messing around with my previous system, I used Komodo Edit to view and edit the config.plist files, but I haven’t seen anyone mention program. Is there a problem that I don’t know about?

Also, with a fully populated USB boot drive, there were 3 config.plist files as you went deeper into the folder hierarchy. Is that correct? I believe that 2 were the same and one was different.

How do I get a copy of Install macOS Mojave or Catalina? We have an older iMac, but it is maxed out at 10.13.6 and cannot go any further.

Please see post #3 of this thread for info regarding Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards.

I have never tried Komodo Edit, but I don't see any reason why it won't work. Personally, I just use Clover Configurator.

My EFI folders only have one config.plist. I have never heard of Clover requiring three.

Please see above post for link to instructions on how to download Catalina on your iMac.

Please see post #3 of this thread for info regarding Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards.

When you’re on page 65, it’s hard to remember what was on page 3!?!?

I have never tried Komodo Edit, but I don't see any reason why it won't work. Personally, I just use Clover Configurator.

Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I did programming work for about 6 years. But, it was never at system or machine level. It was FORTRAN, Basic, database queries and simulation languages. My background is mechanical engineering. I kind of fell into programming.

Komodo shows what is actually in the file and allows you to edit directly. I think being able to see what is actually in the file is a bit of a comfort thing for me.

My EFI folders only have one config.plist. I have never heard of Clover requiring three.

Ah, I thought that was a bit weird. If it happens when I am in the process of setting up my new machine I’ll share what I find.

Just an FYI regarding WiFi/Bluetooth card selections for this build. I just installed the Fenvi FV-HB1200M, and it works fine OOB. Just make sure to pay attention to @pastrychef's instructions for what slot and USB header to plug it into.

This card is discussed here:

I bought it from newegg for $42. So far I have successfully used AirDrop, and connected my AirPod Pros, Magic Mouse and Apple Bluetooth keyboard.

Hello. Regarding the factory-installed CNVi on the Gigabyte Z390 boards, is there any point in removing this from the mobo (as long as it isn't soldered-in) to reduce power use? Or is it electrically "dead" after the MacOS loads? I've always wondered about this.

Hello. Regarding the factory-installed CNVi on the Gigabyte Z390 boards, is there any point in removing this from the mobo (as long as it isn't soldered-in) to reduce power use? Or is it electrically "dead" after the MacOS loads? I've always wondered about this.

Personally, I wouldn't bother to pull it. You should be able to disable it from BIOS. Even if not disabled, I think power usage is very low.

Interesting. I didn’t know that it was part of the package. The information from the site was quite unclear.

One final question for now:

Just out of curiosity, would the EFI files and other bits and pieces for the M Gaming board be very similar compared to what’s needed for the Designare? It would seem so barring differences being essentially Thunderbolt and the Realtek codec. All the specs lead me to believe that they are quite similar otherwise. Anyway, as I said, just a curiosity.

So, time to start ordering parts!!

What version of macOS do you have installed? 10.15.6?

Hi!, thanks, and sorry for the delay. I could fix the iGPU video with this configuration. Had to configure the ports, I was already using ig-platform-id 3E9B0000.

I hope It may help others. (Configuration on ScreenShot)

Second, I see you are not using SSDT-EC-USBX.aml instead you place USBPorts-with-Power.kext. Can you explain me the diference? I know it's working 'cos if I plug my iPhone the total power that USB gives its 2100 mA. But does your 'red USB A port' works? Cos when I plug a flash drive it works great, but if I plug the iPhone it's a dead port. I think the usb mapping it's no correct with this port. When I connect in one specific 'blue USB A port' this port use the 'TypeC+Sw' instead of the 'USB3' line (or channel).

Third, also the SSDT-AWAC.aml it's not on ACPI folder... is there a reason for this?

Finally, I have place a HDMI 2.0 Cable and enable-hdmi20 flags but 4K it's only on 30hz. It's possible to get 4k at 60Hz ??

Thank you so much!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 20.35.15.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 20.35.15.png
    155 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Interesting. I didn’t know that it was part of the package. The information from the site was quite unclear.

One final question for now:

Just out of curiosity, would the EFI files and other bits and pieces for the M Gaming board be very similar compared to what’s needed for the Designare? It would seem so barring differences being essentially Thunderbolt and the Realtek codec. All the specs lead me to believe that they are quite similar otherwise. Anyway, as I said, just a curiosity.

So, time to start ordering parts!!

Yeah, generally, Z390 is Z390. You will have to configure the USB ports on your own, change the audio-id, and change the Thunderbolt SSDT. That's about it.

Hi!, thanks, and sorry for the delay. I could fix the iGPU video with this configuration. Had to configure the ports, I was already using ig-platform-id 3E9B0000.

I hope It may help others. (Configuration on ScreenShot)

Second, I see you are not using SSDT-EC-USBX.aml instead you place USBPorts-with-Power.kext. Can you explain me the diference? I know it's working 'cos if I plug my iPhone the total power that USB gives its 2100 mA. But does your 'red USB A port' works? Cos when I plug a flash drive it works great, but if I plug the iPhone it's a dead port. I think the usb mapping it's no correct with this port. When I connect in one specific 'blue USB A port' this port use the 'TypeC+Sw' instead of the 'USB3' line (or channel).

Third, also the SSDT-AWAC.aml it's not on ACPI folder... is there a reason for this?

Finally, I have place a HDMI 2.0 Cable and enable-hdmi20 flags but 4K it's only on 30hz. It's possible to get 4k at 60Hz ??

Thank you so much!!

I already have the port patches in the config.plist for IGPU.

I don't use the SSDT-EC-USBX because it's not needed. I found that just using the kext worked better.

The USB 3.1 gen 2 ports work for USB 3 and USB 3.1 gen 2. They are not configured to work with USB 2 because I hit the 15 port limit and omitting USB 2 for those port made the most sense.

I don't use the SSDT-AWAC because I didn't see a need for it. Everything's working without it.

No, the motherboard HDMI is only HDMI 1.4.

Yeah, generally, Z390 is Z390. You will have to configure the USB ports on your own, change the audio-id, and change the Thunderbolt SSDT. That's about it.

Thanks, that makes sense. From a design and manufacturing standpoint, it would not make a lot of sense to start from scratch and do something different when they both start from the same socket and chipset...

Back