Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

macOS Catalina 10.15.6 updated fine. Took ~19 minutes and two restarts.

View attachment 480550
Btw, don't try this with Big Sur Public Beta yet. The bootloaders need updating unless you want to go through some convoluted installation.
I had to change my graphics card as it still will not install with my 5700 installed, just a heads up for anyone it there with one. Also confirmed that we need agdpmod=pikera or black screen.

I am having the same issue as Chronosee where the display doesn't work from sleep. I am also using integrated graphics and HDMI. I am using the latest EFI with the patched config.plist for integrated graphics and f9k. I haven't tried darkwake=0 yet, but it doesn't sound like that is the solution for waking up a display.

I am having the same issue as Chronosee where the display doesn't work from sleep. I am also using integrated graphics and HDMI. I am using the latest EFI with the patched config.plist for integrated graphics and f9k. I haven't tried darkwake=0 yet, but it doesn't sound like that is the solution for waking up a display.

No. That's not a solution for HDMI issues. Your system is awake, it's just that the monitor isn't getting a signal. The closest things to a workaround that I'm aware of is to lower screen resolution and/or refresh rates.

@dmdacc, please try darkwake=0 boot argument, it solves the need for multiple mouse clicks/key presses for me...
Please, tell me if it works for you.
Thank you for your help, will try it later today : )

Restarting my monitor wakes display, It works better if I restart it twice, fast.
It works 9/10 times, if this doesn't work unplug and plug your hdmi cable from motherboard, so far it worked every time for me.

If you'll find better solution please let me know ;)

No. That's not a solution for HDMI issues. Your system is awake, it's just that the monitor isn't getting a signal. The closest things to a workaround that I'm aware of is to lower screen resolution and/or refresh rates.

It looks like I may have fixed it. I had set the RAM XMCP profile so that my RAM would run at 3200MHz. Apparently the undesired result of that is it ejects USB drives after sleep. This wouldn't normally be a big problem, but for my testing, my system drive is connected via USB. Doh! Changing back to the default ram setting fixed it.

I did make another changes based on another post here:

Not sure whether that made a difference or not. I'll post my config.plist once I get it test further.

For the brave and the adventurous...

Attached is the latest beta BIOS F9k for the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming.

Biggest changes that I can see are:
1. CFG Lock can be enabled or disabled directly from BIOS. We no longer need to do it from Grub shell!!
2. The return of the ability to enable or disable Serial Port.
3. The French BIOS issue seems to be gone.

I also tested the CNVi slot. Unfortunately, the whitelist is still there and we still can't use the slot for a macOS compatible Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card.

Note that, after flashing, trying to get in to BIOS with my monitor resulted in just a black screen. I had to connect it to my TV to be able to see the BIOS screen. After I made my BIOS settings, I reconnected it to my monitor and was able to see the BIOS screen again. I think this is just some weird issue with my monitor though or maybe it was CSM...

If you decide to try this BIOS, unzip it and put it on a Fat32 formatted USB flash drive. Then use the Q-Flash function in BIOS to update the BIOS. Just to be safe, I did not update the backup BIOS to this version.

* Disclaimer: I take absolutely no responsibility if you brick your motherboard!! You use this BIOS entirely at your own risk!!

I too am having black screen when attempting to enter BIOS setting screen. Tried both HDMI and DP cables, unplug and replug to no avail. Couldn't get into the BIOS screen.
Where did you get the beta BIOS firmware for this M/B? Is there a link to check if they have newer versions, or a way to report back the issue?
I am trying to find a solution to make Apple Watch Unlock work after sleep. Currently it works only during the first boot cycle before sleep. Someone discovered that disabling serial port in F7 BIOS fixes Apple Watch Unlock issue, but the option to disable serial port was removed from F8 and onwards.

I too am having black screen when attempting to enter BIOS setting screen. Tried both HDMI and DP cables, unplug and replug to no avail. Couldn't get into the BIOS screen.
Where did you get the beta BIOS firmware for this M/B? Is there a link to check if they have newer versions, or a way to report back the issue?
I am trying to find a solution to make Apple Watch Unlock work after sleep. Currently it works only during the first boot cycle before sleep. Someone discovered that disabling serial port in F7 BIOS fixes Apple Watch Unlock issue, but the option to disable serial port was removed from F8 and onwards.

As I stated, I connected my system to my TV to see the BIOS screen when I first flashed the BIOS.

Also, try "darkwake=10" to see if Apple Watch unlock works.

Attached is the latest beta BIOS F9k for the Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming.
Where did you find this BIOS mate? Can't see it on the Gigabyte website, can you share link?

Back