Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

thanx for your assistance so far ...
as i wanted to keep this project on a low budget i'm using a intel core i3-9100-F cpu - so no IGPU i think ...

Please try to video the boot process and post the video here. The picture you previously posted wasn't helpful because the kernel panic already scrolled off the screen.

thanx for your assistance so far ...
as i wanted to keep this project on a low budget i'm using a intel core i3-9100-F cpu - so no IGPU i think ...

I just found the following:

The GT 710 may be a problem...

If AppleALC isn't working for you, as alternative audio drivers, you could try VoodooHDA.
Hi @tedyun, @pastrychef, @UtterDisbelief and all following this wake from sleep saga...essentially trying to get wake from sleep working without crashing, and getting optimal performance from FCP.

Three things have definitely solved my wake from sleep freezing issue.

1. Removing AppleALC.kext from my clover EFI - breaks audio and slightly slower video exports with FCP.
2. Replacing AppleALC.kext with VoodooHDA in clover EFI - thanks for this suggestion @tedyun, it did work. FCP exports are grand, and wake from sleep works. Weird list of options in Sound prefs, but works.
3. OPENCORE EFI (from post #1 with edited USBPorts-with-power). With AppleALC.kext in OpenCore, wake from sleep is fine and FCP exports are fast. For now, I'll stick with OpenCore, as it seems pretty stable.

Two queries though...

@pastrychef, would you mind checking my attached config.plist for OC. It first booted to MacPro1,1, and I think I changed it correctly to iMac19,1 but editing it with Plistedit Pro is a bit more complicated than Clover Configurator.

Also, anyone know how to get MacOS to be the default to boot to with OC? My Windows partition is the first on the list at the boot screen, and seems to default to boot to it first....which doesn't work for some reason - I might just have to boot to Windows from F12 at POST.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I made the switch to OC a few weeks ago and I'm not looking back! I'm glad that it solved all your problems.

Do you have MacOS and Windows on the same drive, but on different partitions? This is supposed to be very difficult to do properly! I have my MacOS and Windows on separate drives. In fact when I installed Windows, I had to physically remove my NVMe that had my MacOS because Windows kept wanting to stick it's dirty fingers in my EFI.

Try going into your System Preferences > Startup Disk and specify your System drive.

Hi @tedyun, @pastrychef, @UtterDisbelief and all following this wake from sleep saga...essentially trying to get wake from sleep working without crashing, and getting optimal performance from FCP.

1. Removing AppleALC.kext from my clover EFI - breaks audio and slightly slower video exports with FCP.
2. Replacing AppleALC.kext with VoodooHDA in clover EFI - thanks for this suggestion @tedyun, it did work. FCP exports are grand, and wake from sleep works. Weird list of options in Sound prefs, but works.
3. OPENCORE EFI (from post #1 with edited USBPorts-with-power). With AppleALC.kext v1.4.6 in OpenCore, wake from sleep is fine and FCP exports are fast. For now, I'll stick with OpenCore, as it seems pretty stable.

Two queries though...

@pastrychef, would you mind checking my attached config.plist for OC. It first booted to MacPro1,1, and I think I changed it correctly to iMac19,1 but editing it with Plistedit Pro is a bit more complicated than Clover Configurator.

Also, anyone know how to get MacOS to be the default to boot to with OC? My Windows partition is the first on the list at the boot screen, and seems to default to boot to it first....which doesn't work for some reason - I might just have to boot to Windows from F12 at POST.

Thanks everyone!

I made the switch to OC a few weeks ago and I'm not looking back! I'm glad that it solved all your problems.

Do you have MacOS and Windows on the same drive, but on different partitions? This is supposed to be very difficult to do properly! I have my MacOS and Windows on separate drives. In fact when I installed Windows, I had to physically remove my NVMe that had my MacOS because Windows kept wanting to stick it's dirty fingers in my EFI.

Try going into your System Preferences > Startup Disk and specify your System drive.
Windows and Mac OS are on different drives. I did same as you when installing Windows.

Last edited:
OK -- go into your BIOS and make sure to specify your MacOS drive as first in the boot order, then when you're in MacOS, make sure to specify your MacOS partition as your default. That should work!

Windows and Mac OS are on different drivers. I did same as you when installing Windows.

maybe this works ... otherwise one of my children will have to do the filming more stable:
https://youtu.be/rSoJ5OrReqY
https://youtu.be/rSoJ5OrReqY

according the Gt 710: i have my other Hackintosh working with this cad:
Asus Z390-P, the same i3 CPU ...

i ordered an adapter cable for my psi and maybe give the rx 580 from my mac pro a try ...

Last edited:
OK -- go into your BIOS and make sure to specify your MacOS drive as first in the boot order, then when you're in MacOS, make sure to specify your MacOS partition as your default. That should work!
Worked! Thanks again!

3. OPENCORE EFI (from post #1 with edited USBPorts-with-power). With AppleALC.kext in OpenCore, wake from sleep is fine and FCP exports are fast. For now, I'll stick with OpenCore, as it seems pretty stable.

Two queries though...

Thanks everyone!

iMac19,1 setting looks fine in your config.plist.

To set the default boot drive for OpenCore, in macOS, go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and select the drive you'd like to be the default boot option.

Back