Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

CaseySJ's post is here:

The patch is all the way at the bottom of the post, and is hidden under a Spoiler heading.

Good luck and let us know if you find the solution!

Sadly, this morning I had to revert back to the approach @pastrychef recommended....removing Whatevergreen and enabling change GFX0 to IGPU and PEGP to GFX0 in config.plist. This was because for some reason FCPX crashed with your patch installed and wouldn't restart, not even when I rebooted.

FCPX is working now with his method and sleep is working - but doesn't give me as fast FCPX exports as with WEG in place - it'll do for now (and I could probably settle!), but since I know some version of WEG and a platform id of some kind will be more optimal, I'm gonna keep messing with it.

BTW, where exactly can I find CaseySJ's patch on here? I'd like to read around it a bit more.

Thanks again!!!

Seems i just fail in step 1 unlocking the msr/nvram

Am i right:
i take a usb stick, format it FAT
Download the EFI shell (my hack extracts it automatically)
mount EFI of the stick with EFI Agent
Copy the BOOT folder from the downloaded EFI Shell to the (empty) EFI Folder of the stick
Then switch on the Z390 hold F12, select the sticks UEFI partition to boot from

When i proceed the above steps nothing happens or sometimes my BIOs setup changes from english to france ...

Just bought all the hardware and hope to go on soon with my new hackintosh

First step done ... found the solution on page 24 of this thread.

seems i'm not so lucky with this build ...

stuck now in the installation with the message:
In Memory Panic Stackshot Succeeded ** Bytes Traced 269888 **

CaseySJ's post is here:

The patch is all the way at the bottom of the post, and is hidden under a Spoiler heading.

Good luck and let us know if you find the solution!
UPDATE: Argh....for some reason AppleALC v1.4.9 does not activate audio for me anymore. My USB audio works fine though. Not sure why.

I feel like I've spent the good part of a week trying to find the solution to my wake from sleep issue, and filling up this thread in the process!

Turns out lots of people on this thread: [Help] AppleALC Kernel Panic after Catalina update were reporting similar issues to me for wake from sleep, and posting similar crash reports (see link). The thread indicated it was an issue with HDMI audio and the AppleHDAHDMI_DPDriver in AppleALC.kext. Essentially removing AppleALC.kext from Clover/Kexts/Other stopped the freeze on wake. I tested this and verified it was the case. However, you then loose audio. As @pastrychef said in post #3, this can be removed without causing harm, but you loose audio.

So I'm faced with loosing Audio by removing AppleALC.kext, or having a more temperamental build by removing Whatevergreen.kext.

Lots of people on the above thread suggested a kernel patch, or adding a No-hda-gfx properties key in clover. I was just about to try those, but thought I'd look to see if there were any recent updates to AppleALC.kext on GitHub....

Turns out AppleALC.kext v1.4.9 has a number of layout-id configs for various motherboards, including the Z390M Gaming...
  • Added ALC892 layout-id 20 for GIGABYTE Z390M GAMING by bokeylee
So I updated to it, and bingo, the system wakes from sleep beautifully, and almost as importantly, my FCPX exports are as fast as I've seen them!

bokeylee...whoever you are, thank you thank you thank you!!!

Attachments

• Crash report.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
UPDATE: Argh....for some reason AppleALC v1.4.9 does not activate audio for me anymore. My USB audio works fine though. Not sure why.

I feel like I've spent the good part of a week trying to find the solution to my wake from sleep issue, and filling up this thread in the process!

Turns out lots of people on this thread: [Help] AppleALC Kernel Panic after Catalina update were reporting similar issues to me for wake from sleep, and posting similar crash reports (see link). The thread indicated it was an issue with HDMI audio and the AppleHDAHDMI_DPDriver in AppleALC.kext. Essentially removing AppleALC.kext from Clover/Kexts/Other stopped the freeze on wake. I tested this and verified it was the case. However, you then loose audio. As @pastrychef said in post #3, this can be removed without causing harm, but you loose audio.

So I'm faced with loosing Audio by removing AppleALC.kext, or having a more temperamental build by removing Whatevergreen.kext.

Lots of people on the above thread suggested a kernel patch, or adding a No-hda-gfx properties key in clover. I was just about to try those, but thought I'd look to see if there were any recent updates to AppleALC.kext on GitHub....

Turns out AppleALC.kext v1.4.9 has a number of layout-id configs for various motherboards, including the Z390M Gaming...
  • Added ALC892 layout-id 20 for GIGABYTE Z390M GAMING by bokeylee
So I updated to it, and bingo, the system wakes from sleep beautifully, and almost as importantly, my FCPX exports are as fast as I've seen them!

bokeylee...whoever you are, thank you thank you thank you!!!

I'm sure I can't help with your specific problems - something must be causing them - but as I have the same motherboard I thought I would check my own settings for audio.

Catalina - OpenCore
AppleALC.kext version 1.4.6
Audio ID = 1

Okay, I know, going for the latest release is often recommended, however, as you can see I haven't yet needed to.
The secret to any change problem like this is to go back to basics and change just one thing at a time until you find the thorn causing the pain.

:)

I'm sure I can't help with your specific problems - something must be causing them - but as I have the same motherboard I thought I would check my own settings for audio.

Catalina - OpenCore
AppleALC.kext version 1.4.6
Audio ID = 1

Okay, I know, going for the latest release is often recommended, however, as you can see I haven't yet needed to.
The secret to any change problem like this is to go back to basics and change just one thing at a time until you find the thorn causing the pain.

:)
Thanks, the weird thing is AppleALC.kext is sitting in the correct folder in the EFI partition of the boot drive, but when I check which extensions are installed in Hackintool, AppleALC is not in the installed list. It's as if the system is not seeing it.

If AppleALC isn't working for you, as alternative audio drivers, you could try VoodooHDA.

Thanks, the weird thing is AppleALC.kext is sitting in the correct folder in the EFI partition of the boot drive, but when I check which extensions are installed in Hackintool, AppleALC is not in the installed list. It's as if the system is not seeing it.

seems i'm not so lucky with this build ...

stuck now in the installation with the message:
In Memory Panic Stackshot Succeeded ** Bytes Traced 269888 **

This doesn't help me... Please copy/paste the entire kernel panic.

If you are using OpenCore, you have to activate kexts in config.plist.

Back