Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

@pastrychef : I'm starting to experiment with OpenCore, and I am using your OC EFI (I had such good luck with your Clover EFI!). I added my SMBIOS information and changed the definition to iMac19,1.

- I disabled Thunderbolt, VoodooPS2 kexts and VoodooInput, RadeonBoost (I have a Vega 56) and SATA-200-series-unsupported kext.
- I cleared the CMOS and reloaded my BIOS settings, MSR unlocked, cleared the NVRAM
- My iGPU is enabled

The system boots fine and gets me to the login screen, but after I enter my password and hit enter, it freezes. The mouse pointer still moves but I can't do anything. Clicking on Reset or Shutdown doesn't do anything.

Do you have any suggestions? I went through every post in this thread but didn't find a solution.

Thanks

Ted

I don't know what can cause that... What happens if you enable automatic login?

It looks like it might be a problem with how I cloned my system drive. Even when I use my Clover EFI, it doesn't get past the login screen. I think there is a problem with my version of Carbon Copy Cloner and the latest version of Catalina. I'll try to work through this and see if I can solve it! Thanks!

I don't know what can cause that... What happens if you enable automatic login?

I got OpenCore up and running, based on your EFI! Thanks so much for providing these resources.

Everything works as normal so far, Sidecar, Sleep, Parallels, etc.

A few minor differences between Clover and OC for me:

1. I use mattystonnie's AMD Radeon Performance Enhanced SSDT in conjunction with the dAGPM and RadeonVega56AirCoolingFansFix.kext. I added these into the OpenCore config.plist, no issues, and got a performance boost in GB5 scores. But the performance under OC is just slightly slower than under Clover. I think maybe about 5% slower in OpenCL and Metal both. I don't game or anything, so it is a negligible difference and I'm willing to live with the slightly slower scores.

2. I tried to enable the BootChime. It plays for a fraction of a second, but then is cut short. I think when the icons display, the chime sound is stopped. Is there a way to get the chime to play all the way through?

Aside from these minor issues, it's nice to be playing with all the cool kids and OpenCore!

It looks like it might be a problem with how I cloned my system drive. Even when I use my Clover EFI, it doesn't get past the login screen. I think there is a problem with my version of Carbon Copy Cloner and the latest version of Catalina. I'll try to work through this and see if I can solve it! Thanks!

I got OpenCore up and running, based on your EFI! Thanks so much for providing these resources.

Everything works as normal so far, Sidecar, Sleep, Parallels, etc.

A few minor differences between Clover and OC for me:

1. I use mattystonnie's AMD Radeon Performance Enhanced SSDT in conjunction with the dAGPM and RadeonVega56AirCoolingFansFix.kext. I added these into the OpenCore config.plist, no issues, and got a performance boost in GB5 scores. But the performance under OC is just slightly slower than under Clover. I think maybe about 5% slower in OpenCL and Metal both. I don't game or anything, so it is a negligible difference and I'm willing to live with the slightly slower scores.

2. I tried to enable the BootChime. It plays for a fraction of a second, but then is cut short. I think when the icons display, the chime sound is stopped. Is there a way to get the chime to play all the way through?

Aside from these minor issues, it's nice to be playing with all the cool kids and OpenCore!

1. There shouldn't be any performance difference...

2. Yes, I noticed the boot chime gets cut short too. It started with the latest version of OpenCore. Previous version played the boot chime fine. I'm hoping 0.6.0 will fix this.

Hi all,

Anyone having any issues with FCP with this build? I've been working on a wee 8 minute project, and numerous times on export FCP has crashed, either resulting in a complete freeze and a hard reboot necessary, or taking me back to the login screen. This usually happens near the end of an export, or immediately after it has finished.

I'm running with 16Gb RAM, and only have the iGPU. I have been thinking about upgrading graphics with an RX580 or something...perhaps this is necessary.

I've only started with FCPX, so not sure if this is common or some kind of issue with my setup in particular.

Any comments gratefully received.

I'm running with 16Gb RAM, and only have the iGPU. I have been thinking about upgrading graphics with an RX580 or something...perhaps this is necessary.

@joobuzz,

According to Apples own system requirements page FCPX needs a Metal Capable graphics GPU :-

Which the UHD 630 IGPU does support and if you dig a bit deeper into the specs by following the links it lists the 2012 MacBook Air as being FCPX compatible which only has a IGPU.

I suspect your issue is caused by you using a SMBIOS that expects a AMD GPU in the system. ....

You don't state which SMBIOS you are using but I would guess it is either iMac19,X or iMacPro1,1 which are both optimised for a AMD dGPU to be the primary graphics system ...

Also note that the iMac19,X SMBIOS expects the IGPU to be configured as Headless.

You could try switching to the iMac18,1 SMBIOS which was the last iMac to only use a IGPU for the primary graphics system. If you do decide to try the iMac18,1 SMBIOS then be sure to generate a new S/N, MLB, ROM .. etc, and before you start I recommend that you fully backup your system including the EFI just in case you decide to rollback to your current config. You may also need to spoof the CPU and IGPU as the iMac18,1 uses a Kaby lake CPU.

Alternatively you could add a AMD GPU to your current configuration.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@joobuzz,

According to Apples own system requirements page FCPX needs a Metal Capable graphics GPU :-

Which the UHD 630 IGPU does support and if you dig a bit deeper into the specs by following the links it lists the 2012 MacBook Air as being FCPX compatible which only has a IGPU.

I suspect your issue is caused by you using a SMBIOS that expects a AMD GPU in the system. ....

You don't state which SMBIOS you are using but I would guess it is either iMac19,X or iMacPro1,1 which are both optimised for a AMD dGPU to be the primary graphics system ...

Also note that the iMac19,X SMBIOS expects the IGPU to be configured as Headless.

You could try switching to the iMac18,1 SMBIOS which was the last iMac to only use a IGPU for the primary graphics system. If you do decide to try the iMac18,1 SMBIOS then be sure to generate a new S/N, MLB, ROM .. etc, and before you start I recommend that you fully backup your system including the EFI just in case you decide to rollback to your current config. You may also need to spoof the CPU and IGPU as the iMac18,1 uses a Kaby lake CPU.

Alternatively you could add a AMD GPU to your current configuration.

Cheers
Jay
Thanks,

I'm on iMac19,1, so that could well be the issue. Might also be the reason why my system does not wake from sleep properly (I need to switch my monitor off and on again a couple of times before the login screen appears).

I will try switching to iMac18,1 as I would need to take some time to read your Headless link. Is spoofing the CPU and IGPU straightforward?

Thanks.

Is spoofing the CPU and IGPU straightforward?

@joobuzz,

I would first try it without any CPU or IGPU spoofing and see how it goes ...

Spoofing CPU generation used to be covered in detail in the original WhatEverGreen Guide on this site, but unfortunately it has recently been taken down and now references a guide on git-hub which unfortunately does not cover CPU spoofing via Lilu :( ... ?

From memory to spoof your CPU as a KabyLake CPU you need to add lilucpu=9 as a boot argument ... however my memory is not what it used to be so am not 100% sure if thats correct (I think it is).

To spoof a IGPU you can specify device-id as a custom device property, against the IGPU PCI path in your config.plist

Both methods require Lilu and WEG to be installed.

Cheers
Jay

1. There shouldn't be any performance difference...

2. Yes, I noticed the boot chime gets cut short too. It started with the latest version of OpenCore. Previous version played the boot chime fine. I'm hoping 0.6.0 will fix this.
Thanks for confirming that the boot chime being cut short is due to OC version. I have been hunting for an answer on this for the past couple of days since I have enabled the OC GUI and boot chime.

Back