Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

First I want to thank you again pastrychef for this thread. My system is now at least as stable as the real trash can I have at work.

But I am having overheating problems. I suspect I'll need to reseat my cooler (or perhaps have a professional do it for me). During a two-minute povray test, my cores hit peak temperatures of 87-93, and averaged above 85. I know the 9900k runs hot but that seems excessive. And I'm not even overclocking (nor will I, with these temperatures).

I have a NH-D15S, and three NF-S12A pushing air through a Corsair Carbide 275R case. I checked the BIOS to make sure all the fans were set to manual fan curves that maxed them out at reasonable temperatures (and this was my only downtime in the past three weeks - thanks again for a stable system). I do find I get slightly cooler temperatures if I cover the front half of the top vent on the case (so front fan air has to go through the CPU cooler rather than instantly exiting the case), but it's not enough of a difference to make it as cool as it ought to be.

Is there a way to get more info out of iStat? It only shows me one fan speed. It doesn't show any GPU temperature. It doesn't let me see any of the Gigabyte board temperatures.

Any advice, besides reseating my cooler?

Use Voltageshift to undervolt the CPU, usually 9900K takes around -80 mv, that could shave around 20w full load if the motherboard is working with multipliers limit and unlocked tdp , or provide better performance if the motherboard is using "proper" power limits of the CPU .

Quick question -is it better toleave plugin type enabled in this build? I did not unlock MSR, i am using latest clover/config from this guide and i noticed that plugintype idles at 1.2ghz, if i take it out (as in latest config files) system is idling at 1ghz.

Last edited:
I think I've made my decision, I'll get the gigabyte Z390M gaming and CPU now, using my current 1080p monitor with the DVI output on the motherboard (I currently do this with my b75m). Later, if/when I upgrade the monitor to a 4k, I'll get the RX 560 as you suggest to use with it...I noticed @UtterDisbelief use it in his successful build, which gives me confidence.

Thanks for all your advice, hopefully I'll be back here in a couple of weeks sharing a success story.
Hi again Pastrychef,

Finally got all the components together and spent today with my 9 year old putting the parts into a new case, and kitting out all the aRGB that he insisted we put in it!

In the next few days, I hope to install MacOS on it. But I have a wee query.

I'm probably gonna use Clover at the moment, but am a bit confused about what EFI to use from your posts #1 - #4.

(Because I don't have a graphics card yet, I'm using the iGPU, with my 1080p monitor attached via DVI).

Post #1 has Clover builds r5103, r5104, r5107, r5114 and r5117.

Post #4 has Clover builds r5103, r5107 and r5117. Are these different from the EFI builds in post #1? Looks like I'll need to use the Clover config.plist in post #4, but I'm a bit confused about the IGPU hint in post #3...I'm not sure what an ig-platform-id is, and how to change it if I need to.

Any clarification on this would be extremely helpful before I get my fingers dirty installing the OS.

Thanks!

Hi again Pastrychef,

Finally got all the components together and spent today with my 9 year old putting the parts into a new case, and kitting out all the aRGB that he insisted we put in it!

In the next few days, I hope to install MacOS on it. But I have a wee query.

I'm probably gonna use Clover at the moment, but am a bit confused about what EFI to use from your posts #1 - #4.

(Because I don't have a graphics card yet, I'm using the iGPU, with my 1080p monitor attached via DVI).

Post #1 has Clover builds r5103, r5104, r5107, r5114 and r5117.

Post #4 has Clover builds r5103, r5107 and r5117. Are these different from the EFI builds in post #1? Looks like I'll need to use the Clover config.plist in post #4, but I'm a bit confused about the IGPU hint in post #3...I'm not sure what an ig-platform-id is, and how to change it if I need to.

Any clarification on this would be extremely helpful before I get my fingers dirty installing the OS.

Thanks!

I put together the EFI folders in post #4 for people using different motherboards than ours.

If you are using IGPU only AND you are installing macOS Catalina 10.15.4 or older:
Download the latest Clover EFI from post #1.
Download the config.plist from post #4.
Replace the config.plist in the Clover EFI folder with the one from post #4.

If you are using IGPU only AND you are installing macOS Catalina 10.15.5 or newer:
Use the attached EFI folder.

If you are using a dGPU:
Use the latest EFI from post #1.

If you started with IGPU only and want to install a dGPU, just delete the following:
Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 7.39.07 PM.png

Edit:
If your monitor is not waking from sleep, please try adding igfxonln=1 boot argument. (Thanks goes to @tedyun for the tip!)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    23.2 MB · Views: 453
Last edited:
I put together the EFI folders in post #4 for people using different motherboards than ours.

If you are using IGPU only AND you are installing macOS Catalina 10.15.4 or older:
Download the latest Clover EFI from post #1.
Download the config.plist from post #4.
Replace the config.plist in the Clover EFI folder with the one from post #4.

If you are using IGPU only AND you are installing macOS Catalina 10.15.5:
Use the attached EFI folder.

If you are using a dGPU:
Use the latest EFI from post #1.

If you started with IGPU only and want to install a dGPU, just delete the following:
View attachment 474392
Thanks, that's really helpful.

I'll try it today.

Looking for IGPU only users to help me test something.

Please try deleting the following and let me know if you have any issues. Also, please let me know which version of macOS you are on.

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 9.58.57 AM.png

I'd test it myself, but it's a royal pain to pull out my video card...

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, that's really helpful.

I'll try it today.
Well, got macOS installed, mostly glitch free...

Updated BIOS to F9g
Did MSR unlock, got mostly same response as expected in bottom of post #3. (There is a check to confirm NVRAM is working but forgot what it is).
Started OS install but got no entry sign. Realised USB stick was in USB 2 port on top of case, switched to USB3 port on back and worked.
Logging into WiFi during system setup screens crashed install (using Fenvi PCIe card). Rebooted, skipped wifi login screen and strangely was logged into WiFi when desktop loaded.
Copied EFI from USB to main system drive and rebooted (used EFI you shared to me in #1360). All good so far.
Changed Product name to iMac 19,1 as wanted Sidecar. Updated SMBIOS in Clover Config and got working serial no.
Rebooted.
Logged into iCloud. App Store, iMessage, FaceTime, airdrop, continuity all working.
Sidecar working with iPad Pro 10.5, both connected via cable and with only wifi.
Tested Amazon Prime on Safari, not working as expected as on iMac 19,1. (Will test work arounds one of these days).

Really happy, almost perfect system.

Only issue I'm having is sleep. When I put it to sleep, monitor goes off almost instantaneously, and computer a good few seconds later. Then it would almost immediately reboot. Turned off Wake for network access and Enable Power Nap in Sys Pref and that seemed to solve that.

However, system does not reboot from sleep. That is, the computer comes on, but screen stays black. Have tried with both DVI and HDMI. At least on HDMI, if I unplug cable from back of pc and replug, screen comes on. Haven't tried with DVI as it's a hassle with the screws. (Using iGPU)

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Well, got macOS installed, mostly glitch free...

Updated BIOS to F9g
Did MSR unlock, got mostly same response as expected in bottom of post #3. (There is a check to confirm NVRAM is working but forgot what it is).
Started OS install but got no entry sign. Realised USB stick was in USB 2 port on top of case, switched to USB3 port on back and worked.
Logging into WiFi during system setup screens crashed install (using Fenvi PCIe card). Rebooted, skipped wifi login screen and strangely was logged into WiFi when desktop loaded.
Copied EFI from USB to main system drive and rebooted (used EFI you shared to me in #1360). All good so far.
Changed Product name to iMac 19,1 as wanted Sidecar. Updated SMBIOS in Clover Config and got working serial no.
Rebooted.
Logged into iCloud. App Store, iMessage, FaceTime, airdrop, continuity all working.
Sidecar working with iPad Pro 10.5, both connected via cable and with only wifi.
Tested Amazon Prime on Safari, not working as expected as on iMac 19,1. (Will test work arounds one of these days).

Really happy, almost perfect system.

Only issue I'm having is sleep. When I put it to sleep, monitor goes off almost instantaneously, and computer a good few seconds later. Then it would almost immediately reboot. Turned off Wake for network access and Enable Power Nap in Sys Pref and that seemed to solve that.

However, system does not reboot from sleep. That is, the computer comes on, but screen stays black. Have tried with both DVI and HDMI. At least on HDMI, if I unplug cable from back of pc and replug, screen comes on. Haven't tried with DVI as it's a hassle with the screws. (Using iGPU)

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Please try replacing USBPorts-with-Power.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ with the one attached to this post. The one I have included with the EFI folders were meant for use with iMacPro1,1 system definition.

HDMI has always given me problems. Please try with DVI and see if things are any better.

Attachments

• USBPorts-with-Power.kext.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 104
Please try replacing USBPorts-with-Power.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ with the one attached to this post. The one I have included with the EFI folders were meant for use with iMacPro1,1 system definition.

HDMI has always given me problems. Please try with DVI and see if things are any better.
Replaced kext with one you posted, but made no difference - what is the difference between these two kexts?

However some updates:

1. Turning off Wake for network access only in sys prefs stops the restart after around 5-10 seconds asleep from happening. I have Enable Power Nap selected and sleep is stable. So Wake for network access on is causing these issues.

2. When awaking from sleep, neither DVI or HDMI will allow monitor to detect signal and activate. However, turning monitor off and on again using button on side of monitor, allows screen to come back on, but only using HDMI. When using DVI, nothing will cause screen to turn back on. I have had no weird DVI screen issues, and have had some minor HDMI issues (fixed by unplugging HDMI and replugging it in). However, unless you can suggest anything else(??), I'll settle for sleep half working with this HDMI workaround.

Would be interested to know if anyone else has had these problems with iGPU only on this board.

Thanks again for your amazing help.

Replaced kext with one you posted, but made no difference - what is the difference between these two kexts?

However some updates:

1. Turning off Wake for network access only in sys prefs stops the restart after around 5-10 seconds asleep from happening. I have Enable Power Nap selected and sleep is stable. So Wake for network access on is causing these issues.

2. When awaking from sleep, neither DVI or HDMI will allow monitor to detect signal and activate. However, turning monitor off and on again using button on side of monitor, allows screen to come back on, but only using HDMI. When using DVI, nothing will cause screen to turn back on. I have had no weird DVI screen issues, and have had some minor HDMI issues (fixed by unplugging HDMI and replugging it in). However, unless you can suggest anything else(??), I'll settle for sleep half working with this HDMI workaround.

Would be interested to know if anyone else has had these problems with iGPU only on this board.

Thanks again for your amazing help.

The original USBPorts kext was meant for iMacPro1,1. I modded it for iMac19,1.

Wake for network access shouldn't cause problems. I use it all the time.

The only thing I can suggest is using the best HDMI cable you can find. Quality cables can make a difference.

Edit:
Please see the WhateverGreen GitHub page:

Try using "igfxonln=1" or "igfxonlnfbs=MASK" boot arguments to force your video out ports to online status.

Last edited:
Hello all,
Im trying to setup the os with the EFI folder provided by @pastrychef but im having hard time to setup the graphics for the IGPU and use of the HDMI. Could anyone give a hand? Thank you very much!!!

Attachments

• EFI .zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 110
Back