Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

First I want to thank you again pastrychef for this thread. My system is now at least as stable as the real trash can I have at work.

But I am having overheating problems. I suspect I'll need to reseat my cooler (or perhaps have a professional do it for me). During a two-minute povray test, my cores hit peak temperatures of 87-93, and averaged above 85. I know the 9900k runs hot but that seems excessive. And I'm not even overclocking (nor will I, with these temperatures).

I have a NH-D15S, and three NF-S12A pushing air through a Corsair Carbide 275R case. I checked the BIOS to make sure all the fans were set to manual fan curves that maxed them out at reasonable temperatures (and this was my only downtime in the past three weeks - thanks again for a stable system). I do find I get slightly cooler temperatures if I cover the front half of the top vent on the case (so front fan air has to go through the CPU cooler rather than instantly exiting the case), but it's not enough of a difference to make it as cool as it ought to be.

Is there a way to get more info out of iStat? It only shows me one fan speed. It doesn't show any GPU temperature. It doesn't let me see any of the Gigabyte board temperatures.

Any advice, besides reseating my cooler?

Updated OpenCore EFI to 0.5.9.

All kexts updated to latest release versions.

* DO NOT use your old config.plist from an older version of OpenCore.
I've used your 0.5.9 OC and merged with mine. All working well. A couple of questions

in EFI/OC/ACPI you don't now have SSDT-AWAC but it's referenced in config.plist under ACPI and shown enabled. I don't know what SSDT-AWAC does, is it no longer needed and should I remove reference in config.plist?

First I want to thank you again pastrychef for this thread. My system is now at least as stable as the real trash can I have at work.

But I am having overheating problems. I suspect I'll need to reseat my cooler (or perhaps have a professional do it for me). During a two-minute povray test, my cores hit peak temperatures of 87-93, and averaged above 85. I know the 9900k runs hot but that seems excessive. And I'm not even overclocking (nor will I, with these temperatures).

I have a NH-D15S, and three NF-S12A pushing air through a Corsair Carbide 275R case. I checked the BIOS to make sure all the fans were set to manual fan curves that maxed them out at reasonable temperatures (and this was my only downtime in the past three weeks - thanks again for a stable system). I do find I get slightly cooler temperatures if I cover the front half of the top vent on the case (so front fan air has to go through the CPU cooler rather than instantly exiting the case), but it's not enough of a difference to make it as cool as it ought to be.

Is there a way to get more info out of iStat? It only shows me one fan speed. It doesn't show any GPU temperature. It doesn't let me see any of the Gigabyte board temperatures.

Any advice, besides reseating my cooler?

The 9900K is notorious for running hot. Believe it or not, your 87-93C temps are well within spec.

The Corsair Carbide 275R seems extremely restrictive in regards to air. Maybe try removing the front panel or leaving the side panel open to see how it affects temperatures. Personally, I prefer mesh fronts for better airflow. I use a Silverstone TJ-08E which has excellent airflow. I've also been eyeing the Phanteks Eclipse P400A for a future build. The bequiet! Pure Base 500DX also looks good.

If you want to see real temperature improvements, I think you'll have to delid the CPU. I did it to my 9900K and I top out at ~85C when overclocked to 5.0GHz, depending on ambient temperatures, using the same NH-D15S that you have. Of course, delidding is not for everyone and carries a bit of risk...

Unfortunately, VirtualSMC's sensors are quite limited. FakeSMC offered many more sensors but I haven't tested it with recent EFI folders for this build.

I've used your 0.5.9 OC and merged with mine. All working well. A couple of questions

in EFI/OC/ACPI you don't now have SSDT-AWAC but it's referenced in config.plist under ACPI and shown enabled. I don't know what SSDT-AWAC does, is it no longer needed and should I remove reference in config.plist?

The SSDT-AWAC is the RTC fix. It's not needed for this motherboard. Feel free to go ahead and remove all references to it.

The 9900K is notorious for running hot. Believe it or not, your 87-93C temps are well within spec.

The Corsair Carbide 275R seems extremely restrictive in regards to air. Maybe try removing the front panel or leaving the side panel open to see how it affects temperatures. Personally, I prefer mesh fronts for better airflow.

Wow. Maybe I'll just leave it alone then. I've never run with the front cover on the case, so it's basically a mesh-front push-cooled box with three fans. I still think the biggest case problem is the top fan pushes most of the air out of the top vent before it reaches the cooler. I have a plan for internal ducting to block that path off, but haven't done it yet.

(My grand scheme is to come up with a cool design for the front cover and have it laser etched so it's an open front but looks cool, but as I'm a mostly function-over-form guy, this'll probably never happen and I'll just run with no front cover.)

Thanks

I think it's related USB. Did you redo the USBPorts kext? What USB devices do you have connected?
Yep, I redo with hackintool, removed USBInjectAll and put USBPorts kext.
I have:
- USB 3.0 hub
- external hard disk
- Card reader
- USB microphone
- (sometimes) very oldish webcam (but the issue also occurs without it)

Yep, I redo with hackintool, removed USBInjectAll and put USBPorts kext.
I have:
- USB 3.0 hub
- external hard disk
- Card reader
- USB microphone
- (sometimes) very oldish webcam (but the issue also occurs without it)

Please try with my USBPorts kext and see if it fixes your wake issues.

Thanks. Have a new issue. Since updating to 0.5.9 my Windows 10 (on separate drive) won't boot - blue screen and "ACPI-Stop error". Reverting to 0.5.8 and all boots normally. Any ideas?

Back