Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Do you even see the Apple logo or does it go right to black screen?

I dont see the Apple logo if I stay on the first choice in the OC menu (EFI) just a black screen.
I can see the Apple logo for a few second if select the second item in the menu (Catalina (external)) immediately followed by the prohibited sign, together with the error message (see second picture attached): OCB start image failed - Aborted. Halting on critical error.

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpeg
    IMG_0407.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0408.jpeg
    IMG_0408.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 140
I dont see the Apple logo if I stay on the first choice in the OC menu (EFI) just a black screen.
I can see the Apple logo for a few second if select the second item in the menu (Catalina (external)) immediately followed by the prohibited sign, together with the error message (see second picture attached): OCB start image failed - Aborted. Halting on critical error.
Cause EFI is not your boot drive. Choose number 4

Cause EFI is not your boot drive. Choose number 4

If I choose #4 I get exactly the same problem: apple logo for a few seconds, then prohibited signs and then the same error message.
Likely something wrong with my EFI for my configuration?
thank you!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18.3 MB · Views: 61
Sorry my bad;

Try this one I removed 0.5.7 entries;

These two not recommended.
  • NTFS
  • Fat

I got the same error with your config.plist, but instead of being in the middle of the screen, it's in the upper left corner.
Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 1.27.42 PM.png

Also, I was unable to boot with your config.plist.
After trying your config.plist, I could not even boot with my config.plist.
I had to clear CMOS to be able to boot again with my config.plist.
IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

You should be selecting #2 or #4.

Is your system drive APFS?

I got the same error with your config.plist, but instead of being in the middle of the screen, it's in the upper left corner.
View attachment 454509

Also, I was unable to boot with your config.plist.
After trying your config.plist, I could not even boot with my config.plist.
I had to clear CMOS to be able to boot again with my config.plist.
View attachment 454510

View attachment 454511
Ok. Use your own config.plist. Just add these strings which are some of them empty in your NVRAM.
Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 20.35.43.png

You should be selecting #2 or #4.

Is your system drive APFS?

Both choices end up in a the same behavior.
yes both my external and internal drives are using APFS.

thank you.

Ok. Use your own config.plist. Just add these strings which are some of them empty in your NVRAM.
View attachment 454512

I figured it out!! I didn't need to add those strings. I just had to delete the following:

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 2.02.42 PM.png
I guess it was just complaining that there was an empty field...

I didn't want to add your boot arguments because I like enabling my kexts so they work with undefined versions of macOS.

Both choices end up in a the same behavior.
yes both my external and internal drives are using APFS.

thank you.

Okay. I just figured this out while testing config.plists... Once I encountered that error, the only way to get it fixed is to clear CMOS.

1. Trying to boot OpenCore from USB flash drive always ends in an error for me.
  2. Therefore, put your OpenCore EFI in the EFI partition of an internal drive.
  3. Clear CMOS.
  4. Re-do your MSR unlock.
  5. Re-do your BIOS settings.
  6. Boot in to OpenCore.
  7. Select your Catalina drive.

I figured it out!! I didn't need to add those strings. I just had to delete the following:

View attachment 454520
I guess it was just complaining that there was an empty field...
I am glad you figured it out. :clap: But don't use Clover .efi drivers with OpenCore. Also, why are you using Protocols?

Back