Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

@pastrychef This is an incredibly informative thread - very useful even if one doesn't own a Gigabyte Z390 M. Outstanding! Thank you!

Thanks, Chef! Have you made any progress on the "takes a few seconds and multiple key presses to wake from sleep/turn the monitor back on" issue?

I haven't minded it until a few minutes ago when I hit a few keys to wake the monitor up and it wouldn't wake up no matter what I did. I was getting alert sounds, so I know I was issuing commands, but I had to hard reset the computer to get video back.

Thanks, Chef! Have you made any progress on the "takes a few seconds and multiple key presses to wake from sleep/turn the monitor back on" issue?

I haven't minded it until a few minutes ago when I hit a few keys to wake the monitor up and it wouldn't wake up no matter what I did. I was getting alert sounds, so I know I was issuing commands, but I had to hard reset the computer to get video back.

No. I don't know why it's that way... As a workaround, you can press the power button once to wake the system.

I wanted to let you guys know about a really cool piece of software that I just discovered. It's called Lulu and it's a free and open source firewall.

We all know that macOS has a built-in firewall but it's quite limited and only allows users to block incoming connections. Lulu is much more flexible and can block outgoing connections as well. It block on a per app basis. Very easy to configure.

Highly recommended. If you don't like it, just run the installer again for a clean uninstall.

Last edited:
Hi pastrychef,
since my newly built Hack runs so smoothly after your intervention, i decided to try out a real graphics to have more than 30 Hz on my LG 4k display...
So i bought a Gigabyte Aorus Radion RX570 (4 GB RAM) (Amazon: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B071XPDHW5/?tag=tonymacx8603-21)

--> now i don't know about the necessary changes in config.plist to make it run
--> i works, but on the DisplayPorts i only get a resolution of 1920x800.

You find my EFI-Folder attached, could you please tell me what to change to get full 4k resolution?
Thanks in advance!
Stefan

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.9 MB · Views: 52
Hi pastrychef,
since my newly built Hack runs so smoothly after your intervention, i decided to try out a real graphics to have more than 30 Hz on my LG 4k display...
So i bought a Gigabyte Aorus Radion RX570 (4 GB RAM) (Amazon: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B071XPDHW5/?tag=tonymacx8603-21)

--> now i don't know about the necessary changes in config.plist to make it run
--> i works, but on the DisplayPorts i only get a resolution of 1920x800.

You find my EFI-Folder attached, could you please tell me what to change to get full 4k resolution?
Thanks in advance!
Stefan

Make backups of everything.
Then, try deleting the following from your config.plist.
Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 3.09.44 PM.png

I don't know why you are only getting 1920x800 resolution. The only thing that can affect that is WhateverGreen. There are no other settings or "fixes" for video cards.

Make sure you ONLY use the video out ports on the RX 570. Do not use the motherboard video out.

Hi pastrychef,
i deleted the device from config.plist as you said - but no change.
I use one of the the three DisplayPorts of the RX570 - no internal video out.
After switching on, the clover boot menu has a high resolution, but after "switching" to the 2. AppleLogo during booting the resolution is changed to 1920x800.
Attached is the output of system information.
Are there any bios settings involved? Or could it be a problem of system defintion?
..> "about this mac" says iMac (27", End of 2013) on the startup page and "iMacPro1,1" in the hardware section...

thanks again!
Stefan

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-03 um 21.38.57.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-03-03 um 21.38.57.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 50
Hi pastrychef,
i deleted the device from config.plist as you said - but no change.
I use one of the the three DisplayPorts of the RX570 - no internal video out.
After switching on, the clover boot menu has a high resolution, but after "switching" to the 2. AppleLogo during booting the resolution is changed to 1920x800.
Attached is the output of system information.
Are there any bios settings involved? Or could it be a problem of system defintion?
..> "about this mac" says iMac (27", End of 2013) on the startup page and "iMacPro1,1" in the hardware section...

thanks again!
Stefan

In the image you attached, macOS is detecting your monitor as 3840x1800. You just have to change the resolution. Go to System Preference > Displays > Display. Then hold the Option key while clicking on the "Scaled" button.

OMG, yes - that works! Thank you!
i never knew about changing resolution by this!
--> until know, the standard resolution was automatically detected...

So thanks again for your help!
Have a nice day!

Back