Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

So just in the last month, I've been experiencing some pretty radical performance issues in Monterey wherein:

I open a program using Command + Space and typing anything causes the spinner to go for 10-15 seconds (or more) before any autofill suggestions appear.

Or it notifies me that there are system updates, but clicking on System Preferences causes the computer to lock up for 30 seconds.

Or simply saving / closing a program causes the spinner to run for 10 seconds.

At one point I could not access any System Preferences sub-pane and simply received an error saying [ sub-pane name] could not be accessed or some such. To the point that I had to manually download and install the MacOS update via Terminal (which of course took 15-20 seconds to open).

There are numerous other examples where it just runs like a 20-year-old computer whose CPU / RAM is maxed, but that does not appear to be the case here. There is no indication in Activity Monitor that something is amiss.

...any ideas or suggestions to troubleshoot this? Thanks!

So just in the last month, I've been experiencing some pretty radical performance issues in Monterey wherein:

I open a program using Command + Space and typing anything causes the spinner to go for 10-15 seconds (or more) before any autofill suggestions appear.

Or it notifies me that there are system updates, but clicking on System Preferences causes the computer to lock up for 30 seconds.

Or simply saving / closing a program causes the spinner to run for 10 seconds.

At one point I could not access any System Preferences sub-pane and simply received an error saying [ sub-pane name] could not be accessed or some such. To the point that I had to manually download and install the MacOS update via Terminal (which of course took 15-20 seconds to open).

There are numerous other examples where it just runs like a 20-year-old computer whose CPU / RAM is maxed, but that does not appear to be the case here. There is no indication in Activity Monitor that something is amiss.

...any ideas or suggestions to troubleshoot this? Thanks!

Have you checked the health of your SSD?

Have you checked the health of your SSD?
I have not...is Black Magic useful for that, or is there a better utility to check drive health?

Edit: I have a second nVME SSD that I just tried to access via Finder and it took some 20 seconds to populate. And I see there is a health check utility built in to MacOS. Will run that first.

The S.M.A.R.T status is 'Verified'

Last edited:
I have not...is Black Magic useful for that, or is there a better utility to check drive health?

Edit: I have a second nVME SSD that I just tried to access via Finder and it took some 20 seconds to populate. And I see there is a health check utility built in to MacOS. Will run that first.

The S.M.A.R.T status is 'Verified'

Try creating a new user. Then log out of your current account and in to the new user account. See if things are normal or not.

That appears to have worked. I'll keep using it and see if it is only a temporary fix or not.

What is it about creating a new User and logging in that would change anything?

That appears to have worked. I'll keep using it and see if it is only a temporary fix or not.

What is it about creating a new User and logging in that would change anything?

If everything is normal on the new user, your problems are due to some sort of software installed on the old account.

The BCM943602CS should is natively supported. As long as your USB ports are configured correctly, Bluetooth should just work. Just make sure that the BCM943602CS USB cable is connected to F_USB1 and using port HS10.

View attachment 553254
If you previously used any Bluetooth kexts, disable and delete them.
After much fiddling with the USB kexts and all that, what worked - right away - was connecting it to the other F_USB port (and swapping the one that was there). FWIW.

Granted, I have the z390 m non-gaming board, but as one thing that may be worth trying for others.

Hey guys I have updated my gpu to a rx 6800 xt from a 580.
I'm getting this when booting...

Attachments

• IMG_3373.jpeg
    IMG_3373.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
Hey guys I have updated my gpu to a rx 6800 xt from a 580.
I'm getting this when booting...

That message is saying something's wrong with NVRAM. Have you disabled CFG Lock? Have you tried clearing NVRAM? Did you add boot-arg, "agdpmod=pikera"?

Back