Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Motherboard
GA-Z87MX-D3H
CPU
i5-4670K
Graphics
HD4600
And OCAT (OCAuxiliaryTools) automates the update process.

Thanks (and to @pastrychef as well); I've sort-of been aware of these tools but have been avoiding learning (yet) another set of tools that I use rarely, particularly since they all are so different. Doesn't help they have different opinions about them.
Whereas spelunking methodically through the install guide I mostly knew what was going on, at least enough to feel reassured. And while a bit slow, it was fast enough for a 2-3 times per year event.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
CPU
I5 9600K
Graphics
RX 570
Hi everyone,
First of all, big thanks to pastrychef who has done amazing work. I've been using Catalina on my Z390M for a long time now, and I want to upgrade.
What I would like to do now : upgrade my hackintosh using Fusion drive / firewall activated / OpenCore / Ventura.
Do you think it is possible ?
Do you know if your last release (OpenCore 0.8.3) will work fine for that ? Are there some tweaks that I have to do on my BIOS? (Knowing that I have already done those things that you recommended for Catalina.) When doing a Fusion drive, do I need one EFI file on each drive ?

Thanks again
Best, Louis

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,
First of all, big thanks to pastrychef who has done amazing work. I've been using Catalina on my Z390M for a long time now, and I want to upgrade.
What I would like to do now : upgrade my hackintosh using Fusion drive / firewall activated / OpenCore / Ventura.
Do you think it is possible ?
Do you know if your last release (OpenCore 0.8.3) will work fine for that ? Are there some tweaks that I have to do on my BIOS? (Knowing that I have already done those things that you recommended for Catalina.) When doing a Fusion drive, do I need one EFI file on each drive ?

Thanks again
Best, Louis

I have no experience with Fusion drive setups. I'm not sure it's still supported...

Everything else is fine. Just boot with the latest version of OpenCore and update.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
CPU
Graphics
iGPU
I have this Gigabyte mobo (Z390M), and an old SSD with Catalina alongside a really corrupt (had no idea what I was doing and wrecked it) EFI folder that prevented booting in the old ASUS system, which is now windows only.

If I download one of your EFI folders from post #1 to my SSD partition it could boot right? I'm using iGPU, so presume I need to edit the config to remove graphics card reference. If it's possible, should I go for Opencore or Clover (guessing that one either of these is fine). If this worked, and I could use my old Catalina install, I'd be thrilled. Obviously, I'd add my own serial/use id etc. :D

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have this Gigabyte mobo (Z390M), and an old SSD with Catalina alongside a really corrupt (had no idea what I was doing and wrecked it) EFI folder that prevented booting in the old ASUS system, which is now windows only.

If I download one of your EFI folders from post #1 to my SSD partition it could boot right? I'm using iGPU, so presume I need to edit the config to remove graphics card reference. If it's possible, should I go for Opencore or Clover (guessing that one either of these is fine). If this worked, and I could use my old Catalina install, I'd be thrilled. Obviously, I'd add my own serial/use id etc. :D

It should work fine.

Download the latest OpenCore EFI.
Put the EFI on the EFI partition of a USB flash drive.
Open the config.plist with OpenCore Configurator and go to:
config.plist > UEFI > APFS and change MinDate and MinVersion to "-1" (without the quotes)
Save.
Boot from the USB flash drive.

There's no need to make any changes for graphics. My EFIs should work whether you are using dGPU or IGPU.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
CPU
Graphics
iGPU
Oops, I should've said I don't have access to a working Mac. But I've figured out a way to edit config files using Explorer+, so should be able to find the Mindate and MinVersion lines. If this works, I'll be your biggest fan, all this technical stuff is beyond me so to get my old SSD running would be amazing!! :)

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Oops, I should've said I don't have access to a working Mac. But I've figured out a way to edit config files using Explorer+, so should be able to find the Mindate and MinVersion lines. If this works, I'll be your biggest fan, all this technical stuff is beyond me so to get my old SSD running would be amazing!! :)

Yes. You should be able to edit the config.plist with a text editor.