Contribute
Register

Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming build with working NVRAM

Yeah, I spent a lot of time with this and getting the RAM to run with the XMP Profile1 settings. It went down after I updated from my F10g - beta to F10h. Then when I rolled back to F10g - beta, the problem persisted. I think we were having the same problem.

This is how I worked around it, and maybe it would work with you.

1. After the BIOS update, reboot and go into the BIOS settings. Choose all the appropriate settings for the Hackintosh. With the XMP settings, choose Profile 1 then manually adjust the speed to a much lower value. I started off with 2000.

2. Reboot, and see if it POSTs correctly.

3. Enter the BIOS again and you can increase the RAM speed by a small amount, reboot and see if it POSTs correctly. I kept doing these iterative steps, incrementally until I hit my rated speed of 3600. I forget the increments I did, but I believe it was something like 2000, 2400, 2600, 2666, 3000, 3200, 3400 then finally 3600.

4. If you make too big of a jump, then it will have problems reaching POST. Eventually, the BIOS resets to factory settings, as if you cleared the CMOS, and you land back in BIOS with an error message stating that there was problem with the startup and that factory settings were restored. In this case, I power down, unplug, discharge the power, reset the CMOS, reseat the RAM, then go all the way back to Step 1.

I think the key is to increase it in small steps. I kept it to around jumps of 200 (I should have went to 2800 then 3000).

By this method, updating to F10i worked without having to do the CMOS reset and RAM reseat. Once I was confident, I updated to the latest F10. I wanted to make sure I could go up to F10i because updating to the latest F10 is actually irreversible. If you update to the capsule BIOS, you cannot rollback any longer to an earlier BIOS. So be careful, and definitely make sure you want to take that step!

As I get closer to purchasing an Apple made system, I will have to make a decision on whether to give away my Z390 or Z370 system. I don't have the room to keep both... I'm leaning towards keeping my Z370 system because it requires fewer "fixes" to run macOS and I just feel that the Asus motherboard is better. In this case, I would not bother to update to the latest BIOS and let whomever I give the system to decide for themselves whether to do it or not...

As I get closer to purchasing an Apple made system, I will have to make a decision on whether to give away my Z390 or Z370 system. I don't have the room to keep both... I'm leaning towards keeping my Z370 system because it requires fewer "fixes" to run macOS and I just feel that the Asus motherboard is better. In this case, I would not bother to update to the latest BIOS and let whomever I give the system to decide for themselves whether to do it or not...

Uh oh ... Well hopefully we've learned enough from you at this point when we can carry the torch when you move on.

Personally, I think I am wait and see on how far and fast Apple can evolve these chips. That's a heck of a start, out of the gate, and I can't wait to see what the M5X will look like before I switch to a genuine Mac ;)

I think the lines between the iPad Pro and a MacBook are really blurred these days. I eventually would like the macOS in the iPad form factor, ie., the ability to switch back and forth, like the Surface. With iOS and macOS starting to blend together, I think this is the direction they seem to be going. But Apple always surprises us!

Uh oh ... Well hopefully we've learned enough from you at this point when we can carry the torch when you move on.

Personally, I think I am wait and see on how far and fast Apple can evolve these chips. That's a heck of a start, out of the gate, and I can't wait to see what the M5X will look like before I switch to a genuine Mac ;)

I think the lines between the iPad Pro and a MacBook are really blurred these days. I eventually would like the macOS in the iPad form factor, ie., the ability to switch back and forth, like the Surface. With iOS and macOS starting to blend together, I think this is the direction they seem to be going. But Apple always surprises us!

I'd be perfectly content right now with an M1 Max powered Mac Mini.

If batteries didn't decline over time, I would've considered getting a MacBook and using it as a desktop.

I just followed all the instruction you provided and its the same issue still

Are you using an SSDT for DTGP?

3D39888C-710D-48F7-A424-60ED93006BB3.jpeg

What PCI-e cards do you have installed? The last line stops at PCI configuration. Which slot is your video card installed?

Last edited:
OpenCore EFI updated to version 0.7.6.

Hmm... The arrow keys on your keyboard should be working...

Please try enabling UsbMouseDxe.efi and see if you can select using the mouse...

View attachment 536517
Thanks, I will give it a try! The interesting part is that I've managed to install Monterey using your latest Clover build and that installation is already running perfectly.

Thanks, I will give it a try! The interesting part is that I've managed to install Monterey using your latest Clover build and that installation is already running perfectly.

Yeah. Very weird...

Hi @pastrychef how are you?

I recently changed my monitor. The connection type is now DP. I set UIscale mode 1 in OC, on the boot screen I am seeing the apple logo HDPI mode which I want it but when the second stage comes it's bigger again. is it possible to stay the same size?

Hi @pastrychef how are you?

I recently changed my monitor. The connection type is now DP. I set UIscale mode 1 in OC, on the boot screen I am seeing the apple logo HDPI mode which I want it but when the second stage comes it's bigger again. is it possible to stay the same size?

I'm good. Yourself?

I've always left the UIScale setting at "-1" and the Apple logo has always appeared in high res.

Back